ANTHRAX Begin Writing New Material

max said:
i always thought dan's leads were merely average and forgettable.

fuck thats a huge call,each to there own i guess,he was my favourite guitar player until i was introduced to dimebag,dans solos were songs in a song

Karina_666 said:
Dan Spitz can't play lead? God, I didn't realize this was the kiss Rob Caggiano's ass message board. Yeah, Dan can come off like a prick, but he's the best lead guitarist Anthrax ever had, followed by Paul Crook.

well said!

Karina_666 said:
Dan Spitz can't play lead? God, I didn't realize this was the kiss Rob Caggiano's ass message board. Yeah, Dan can come off like a prick, but he's the best lead guitarist Anthrax ever had, followed by Paul Crook.
AMEN to that.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Dan was always my favourite guitarist, and his leads are deffo the best recorded with Anthrax. Although I do have a soft spot for the ones Dimebag recorded.

I can't wait to see how these sound, but I think I wait. Anthrax is coming here again and thats what im looking forward to currently.

jpike said:
I hope they keep them also. I think its the best way to keep their legacy in heavy metal history. everyone remembers anthrax with THIS LINEUP not the 90's hired hand, new direction, different style, bullshit of an excuse they had for getting Bush and Rob.

Yeah, I am really hoping for ATLEAST one killer album from this line-up... The true follow up to POT..I can see how Joey sounds dated in some of the old Anthrax stuff but that was the time.. The band seems to have gotten heavier and Joey in my opinion sounded great on Alive 2.. I think they could really make something special and ass kicking...

tomass74 said:
Yeah, I am really hoping for ATLEAST one killer album from this line-up... The true follow up to POT..I can see how Joey sounds dated in some of the old Anthrax stuff but that was the time.. The band seems to have gotten heavier and Joey in my opinion sounded great on Alive 2.. I think they could really make something special and ass kicking...

here here .... if it's an Anthrax cd, it will rule :)

max said:
i always thought dan's leads were merely average and forgettable.
Why dont you explain why you think they are average and forgettable? Name some songs that his leads suck and what would you do to change them mr. guitar lead expert.:puke:

jpike said:
Why dont you explain why you think they are average and forgettable? Name some songs that his leads suck and what would you do to change them mr. guitar lead expert.:puke:

I don't think Dn is a bad player but he's hardly a god amongst players. i don't really think Rob was a stand out either. There's nothing wrong with that. Slayer has never recorded a single good guitar solo ever.

Mickenglanduk said:
Hardly fogettable! I agree with Mrthrax, his leads can be sung in your head unlike all these fast lead merchants.

I also agree. I find my self at night while I'm trying to go to bed, humming the melody of his solos to Among the Living and Caught in a Mosh.

whitey131 said:
I don't think Dn is a bad player but he's hardly a god amongst players. i don't really think Rob was a stand out either. There's nothing wrong with that. Slayer has never recorded a single good guitar solo ever.
Let me guess JudasPriest doesnt have any good guitar solos either??

jpike said:
Let me guess JudasPriest doesnt have any good guitar solos either??

I guess I can't have an opinion. I just don't think anthrax has ever had a stand out WOW lead player like a Dimebag, marty friedman, type.

whitey131 said:
I guess I can't have an opinion. I just don't think anthrax has ever had a stand out WOW lead player like a Dimebag, marty friedman, type.

Slayer is all about force...they're cool, but the guitar solos are horrendous...I don't think they ever intended them to be great works of musicianship. The guitarists for Anthrax are what they are...I don't think they ever considered themselves guitar heros...they get the job done. Not all bands have guitar heros, but thank goodness the guitar solo is on the comeback.

That said, anyone mentioned here is better than Kirk Hammett...does anyone agree he is one of the most overrated guitarists ever?

jpike said:

that's lame. i don't need to explain anything to you. i was merely expressing my honest opinion. one need not be a "guitar lead expert" as you put it, in order to have an opinion about guitarists. now if reading other people's opinions make you feel uncomfortable (or want to puke) then maybe you shouldn't be reading a messageboard - a place where different views/opinions are shared.

schenkadere said:
Slayer is all about force...they're cool, but the guitar solos are horrendous...I don't think they ever intended them to be great works of musicianship. The guitarists for Anthrax are what they are...I don't think they ever considered themselves guitar heros...they get the job done. Not all bands have guitar heros, but thank goodness the guitar solo is on the comeback.

That said, anyone mentioned here is better than Kirk Hammett...does anyone agree he is one of the most overrated guitarists ever?

Ha ha. My 15 year old neighbor kid got a guitar in March. He was asking about where he could get Metallica tabs. The he told me Kirk Hammett is the greatest guitar player ever. When I laughed he got pissed and asked if I could name a better player so I told him Kirk Hammett's wah pedal was pretty good.

max said:
yes kirk hammett is waaayyy over-rated and plays out of tune.

His dynamics are nonexistent, his phrasing sucks, as well as his attack and vibrato. Again, he does the job, but I never understood why he got so much attention. Kids can certainly find a better guitar hero.

schenkadere said:
His dynamics are nonexistent, his phrasing sucks, as well as his attack and vibrato. Again, he does the job, but I never understood why he got so much attention. Kids can certainly find a better guitar hero.

What band are you in again? Kirk is shite nowadays but his leads on Justice and before that were classic.