ANTHRAX Begin Writing New Material

max said:
"Making good music doesn't make you a great player."

agreed and you can also reverse it:
"Being a great player doesn't mean you can make great music."

or is that the same thing...

It's very much the same and valid point. Some of the most skilled players in the world are delivering pizza just because of this.

Arg_Hamster said:
I think Jim Martin did some really good guitar parts for Faith No More (sorry to bring them up schenkadere).

That's ok...I can value your personal opinions...unlike many round these parts. You like who you like...it's all good.

max said:
"Making good music doesn't make you a great player."

agreed and you can also reverse it:
"Being a great player doesn't mean you can make great music."

or is that the same thing...

There are a lot of technical players out there with no feel. It's a shame. They get caught up with being the fastest or most complex and lose the subtlties of attack, dynamics and phrasing. Some of the greatest solos are the simplest. It turns into some huge ego thing with guitarists.

Bottom line...if it sounds good...it is good. If someone likes it and it still feels good to you...you've done your job.

schenkadere said:
There are a lot of technical players out there with no feel. It's a shame. They get caught up with being the fastest or most complex and lose the subtlties of attack, dynamics and phrasing. Some of the greatest solos are the simplest. It turns into some huge ego thing with guitarists.

Bottom line...if it sounds good...it is good. If someone likes it and it still feels good to you...you've done your job.

Dream Theatre. I swear they could have been a great band if they didn't try so hard.

i think jeff waters said in an interview that they were once recording with some drum wizard guy but he was not even able to lay down a simple AC/DC rock beat. they kept having to do take after take as he couldn't nail the feel of the beat.

many guitarists i think miss the point about MUSIC and concentrate too much on "good guitar playing" instead of thinking about making "good music" for people to listen to.

guitarists and drummers are most guilty of this and feel they have to prove their chops. but after 30 seconds you can tell if the guy has nothing to say and it's just plain boring.

AlexStomp said:
I hate the radio edit of Safe Home. The chop up Caggiano's awesome lead.

You mean Charlie's lead?

Anyway Chris Poland is one of the best ever and Dream Theater will enslave all of us one day so I wouldn't talk smack.:loco:

schenkadere said:

Are you a guitar teacher?

I thought Rob only did two leads on that record - What Does'nt die and WCFYA (the song not the record itself). I can't find my damn booklet!

max said:
that's lame. i don't need to explain anything to you. i was merely expressing my honest opinion. one need not be a "guitar lead expert" as you put it, in order to have an opinion about guitarists. now if reading other people's opinions make you feel uncomfortable (or want to puke) then maybe you shouldn't be reading a messageboard - a place where different views/opinions are shared.
ok dad thanks for the advise:worship: