ANTHRAX Begin Writing New Material

jpike said:
Let me guess JudasPriest doesnt have any good guitar solos either??

Judas Priest had plenty of good guitar solos. It's true, Slayer's solo's aren't anything special. They're all about the fast riffs.

I used to think that Anthrax played all of the older material a half step lower to suit John Bush's voice. I was watching Alive 2 for free on my cables free ppv offerings the other day and noticed that they're still playing a half step lower even with Joey. Go figure.

AlexStomp said:
Judas Priest had plenty of good guitar solos. It's true, Slayer's solo's aren't anything special. They're all about the fast riffs.

I used to think that Anthrax played all of the older material a half step lower to suit John Bush's voice. I was watching Alive 2 for free on my cables free ppv offerings the other day and noticed that they're still playing a half step lower even with Joey. Go figure.

Tuning lower is heavier. Ask Korn, the heaviest band ever. :Smug:

...I don't know all about this stuff in terms of technical terms. Maybe it's better if I don't. All I know is that If I hear it and like it, I like it. I think Dans guitar work is excellent, but for the record, I really like the guitar solos in Slayer...especially on South of Heaven. So they're not a zillion notes a second or in the right key...who fucking cares? I thought metal was all about the feeling and the atmosphere, not music theory.

I suppose that other people get waaaaaaaaaaaaay more into the theory of stuff. I'm kind of glad I don't know the technical aspects of guitar playing if it spoils your listening pleasure. I don't know how my Impreza works, but I sure as fuck like driving it.

The secrecy IS getting a little run down. The way I see it, any new Anthrax anything is cool. A crystal ball reader I saw in some seedy backwoods red-light district of some weird town I was in told me they are going to get the ghosts of Cliff and Dimebag to play on it too.

Lord I apologize for that......

Stormwatch said:
What band are you in again? Kirk is shite nowadays but his leads on Justice and before that were classic.

Classic as 1 scale and the same tapping trick with a wah pedal gets.
Do you play guitar? ACDC have made many great songs with the same 4 chords. Making good music doesn't make you a great player.

whitey131 said:
Classic as 1 scale and the same tapping trick with a wah pedal gets.
Do you play guitar? ACDC have made many great songs with the same 4 chords. Making good music doesn't make you a great player.
My point exactly.

Carcassian said:
My point exactly.

Yhanks, and again there is nothing wrong with simple. I liked alot of old Metallica until it was so overplayed that I can't stand it, but I wouldn't call him a really grat player.

I would say slash is a great player.

ACDC have made many great songs with the same 4 chords. Making good music doesn't make you a great player.
i've jammed with people who could play some crazy shit but, couldn't play highway to hell (with the right feel and simplicity) to save their lives . the only people impressed with just skill on a guitar are other guitar players. the guy driving in his car with the radio on don't care how many scales were used in a solo. if it's a good song he'll go to best buy and pick up the cd. less is more. knowing when to put in the killer guitar lick and when not to is a sign of a great player.

karrokid said:
i've jammed with people who could play some crazy shit but, couldn't play highway to hell (with the right feel and simplicity) to save their lives . the only people impressed with just skill on a guitar are other guitar players. the guy driving in his car with the radio on don't care how many scales were used in a solo. if it's a good song he'll go to best buy and pick up the cd. less is more. knowing when to put in the killer guitar lick and when not to is a sign of a great player.

That was my point. But does playing less make you an awesome player? Nope, just a good entertainer.

I hate the radio edit of Safe Home. The chop up Caggiano's awesome lead. Guitar players that I admire:

Scott Ian
Slash
Eddie Van Halen
Kirk Hammett
Marty Friedman when he was in Megadeth
Dime
Tom Morrello
Joey Z

Some are more virtuoso than others, some use more gear, but they all have their own styles and tones.

Karina_666 said:
I always though Chris Poland, ex-megadeth currently in OHM, was a fantastic guitar player.

In the liner notes to the remaster of KIMB... ABIG, one of the Daves says Chris had some sort of injury in his hand that allowed him to stretch his fingers in ways other people couldn't. I don't know a thing about playing guitar, though.

Gar Samuelson kicks ass too.

NP: Testament - Live in London

apparently Chris had been messing around with a bunch of other kids at school when he was 12 and was accidentally pushed through a plate glass window. I don't know which finger it is, but one can't move up and down, but can slide twice as far down.

I have small fingers. For me it's a handicap for playing the guitar, so I pretty much developed my own style out of nessicaty(sp?).

Tony Iomi had some digit in his fingers injured during a work related accident. It somehow made him develop that heavy tone that fathered heavy metal.

"The NIBs"
Iommi's musical career was nearly derailed prematurely when he suffered a horrible accident at a sheet metal factory, when a machine sliced off the tips of the fingers on his right hand. Depressed and figuring that his guitar playing days were behind him, a friend turned him onto guitarist Django Reinhardt (who lost use of two fingers in a gypsy caravan campfire accident), inspiring Iommi to give the six-string another go, with soft plastic tips attached to the ends of his fingers.

I think they work pretty well!

"Making good music doesn't make you a great player."

agreed and you can also reverse it:
"Being a great player doesn't mean you can make great music."

or is that the same thing...