Anthrax / Testament / Death Angel in San Diego Review

kirkland

Jan 30, 2011
I have been in SD for the past few days for work and it so happened Anthrax was in town tonight which was great timing.

I have already seen this tour at the beginning so this is my second time.

I got in just as Death Angel was finishing their set, which sucked I wanted to see them the line was too damn long.

Testament came out and destroyed the crowd. They sounded fucking amazing. Pure brutal thrash metal with amazing musicianship. These guys never disappoint. They brought the house down. They sounded even better tonight that the last time I saw them a few weeks ago. Just epic.

Anthrax came out. They sounded very good tonight. Much better than the last time I saw them. The crowd was into them a lot more tonight.

They changed the set just a tad.

They added NFL tonight and took away Got The Time. Zero songs from POT which is pretty much bullshit. The downers for sure were Only and In The End which the crowd pretty much got restless. But overall they sounded really good and the crowd was going nuts for most of their set.

Rob needs to really lose the beanie and get some kind of stage presence

So no crazy thrash metalheads causing chaos this time then? NFL for GtT is an excellent swap

No nothing crazy this time. Though some chick threw her bra on stage and it landed on Joey. He and Frank laughed and threw it into the pit.

Joey was on fire tonight. He sounded really good and did a really good job interacting with the audience. You could feel the energy he brought with him

That song In The End has great meaning but is not a good live song. It's too long and boring to be played live imo. Almost nobody was into "only" it wasn't because of the vocals, just it's not a song most of the fans seemed to be into.

I'm Alive actually went over pretty good same with the other songs from Worship Music.

It's truly amazing to me that they skip over the entire POT album though. It makes absolutely no sense. For them to play "only" but not do anything form POT is absolutely disgusting. I was hoping maybe I'd get lucky and hear them go into Keep It in the Family or In My World but that didn't happen

ok but they need to do a long set like 2 hours to get everything in that everyone wants. but i hope down the line that would happen.but for now we should be happy anthrax is even playing at all.time will come for them to do a bigger venue and play a good long set and make everyone happy.till then be happy with what you have and not worry about what you haven't.

2 cents deposited......LOL

How long did each band play? Was Death Angel on as soon as the door opened or were there local openers?

Death Angel was the first band. They were on while most people were still in the long line to get in. By the time I got in they were in the middle of their last song. No other opening bands

I'd say they got 20-30 minutes of a set

Testament got a solid 1 hour set. Maybe a bit longer

Anthrax played for about 90 minutes.

Was something like this

Earth on Hell
Fight 'Em Till You Can't
Caught in a Mosh
Madhouse
Antisocial
I'm Alive
The Devil You Know
Indians
In the End
Only
N.F.L.
Metal Thrashing Mad
Refuse/Resist
I Am The Law (I left during this, so if they played anything after it I wasn't there)

ANthrax was on fire, Testament was hard to follow though.

Yep, Testament completely dominated that sold out audience. They were fuckin brutal and just relentless. They were LOUD and just simply amazing. I didn't think there was any way possible Anthrax would be able to come out and keep the crowd going. But Anthrax did a great job as well. But I'd say overall Testament was the better of the two bands.