Anthrax vs Slayer.

Col_ossus

Formerly Ulster Mosher.
Not what you think. I don't want to know who like who best or any of that shit. Just thought you'd be interested to hear this. As you all know by now, Anthrax are due to play the Ambassador in Dublin, Ireland in May on the reunion tour. Slayer are also due to play the SAME venue in June (I think), and have had to schedule a second date there cos the first sold out in no time, and from what I hear the second date is pretty much sold out as well. Tickets for the second show came out AFTER the Thrax tix, yet there are still tickets available for the show in May. I'd personally love to know why Slayer have such a big following compared to that of Anthrax. It wasn't that long ago that Slayer played a full tour in Ireland, playing in fucking small halls, boat houses, pubs and leisure centres to a handful of people, and now they are selling out a venue twice, that Thrax can't sell out once. The ambassador ain't that fucking big, 2,500 people at the most I'd say, yet the way it looks I doubt if this show will sell out.

I for one am really looking forward to this tour and can't wait to see the old lineup again. I'll be at the front in Dublin, and I'll probably be hoarse for a week after it with all the singing and shouting. For me its nostagia. I'm 31, and last time I saw the old lineup I was 16. I love the new Thrax and hope they all get back together after the reunion.

My point is this. I only hope the whole thing ain't for the money, cos the way things are looking, there isn't any more demand for tickets this time around, than the previous two times they've played the same venue. If it is, I reckon they'll be disappointed unless there's big sign on fees for some of the festivals they're due to play. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not knocking the band, and their reasons for doing the tour are their own business, I for one am looking forwar to it. I just don't want to see it crash around their ears.

Still it ain't long now, and I can't wait. :headbang:

I think it's b/c Slayer really dosen't have the history of dicking their fans around like Anthrax does.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Anthrax but they do have a tendandy to say one thing and do the other. It even amazes me the fact that Megadeth sell out venues time and time again while Mustaine is/was one of the most non fan friendly performers out there.

Have to agree with Greg on that one....Thrax seem to have a revolving door on recruits.....Slayer have remained constant all along (with the exception of the drummers position, but could you really say that would be a job role you would wanna put yourself up for...lol) All I know right know is I got all tickets I need for the Thrax gig in Dublin...what more can I ask....I really hope we get to see the Indian Headdress....would rule

it is quite amazing that slayer are so popular,although the only drama they had was lombardo leaving but drummers are a dime a dozen,it would be a diff situation if the guitarist or singer left,anthrax have had a tonne of changes and people just dont like change,also slayer just seems to have always had a hardcore following from day one,near;ly everyone but me seems to have a thing for slayer,personally i only like a handful of slayer songs but i only hate a handful of anthrax songs,slayer keep repeating themsleves album after album where as anthrax keep things fresh

I look at Anthrax vs Slayer like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

Iron Maiden and Slayer are great great bands and have killer songs, but both of these bands get boring after a while.

Anthrax and Judas Priest rock on!

mrthrax said:
although the only drama they had was lombardo leaving but drummers are a dime a dozen,it would be a diff situation if the guitarist or singer left
While I agree with the majority of your post, I can't agree with this statement. A really good drummer like Dave Lombardo, Paul Bostaph, Mikkey Dee, or Charlie Benante are NOT a dime a dozen. But your right in basically saying that fans don't like numerous line-up changes in their favorite bands, just look at Black Sabbath for a prime example!

MikeyBong said:
While I agree with the majority of your post, I can't agree with this statement. A really good drummer like Dave Lombardo, Paul Bostaph, Mikkey Dee, or Charlie Benante are NOT a dime a dozen. But your right in basically saying that fans don't like numerous line-up changes in their favorite bands, just look at Black Sabbath for a prime example!

yeah i should give more credit to lombardo,he is one of the best in the business

GregadetH said:
I think it's b/c Slayer really dosen't have the history of dicking their fans around like Anthrax does.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Anthrax but they do have a tendandy to say one thing and do the other. It even amazes me the fact that Megadeth sell out venues time and time again while Mustaine is/was one of the most non fan friendly performers out there.

Perhaps ... Slayer never changed their style and not that saying that is a bad thing but they are still a Thrash Metal band whereas Anthrax's music has progressed through the years you could say - so perhaps Anthrax's fan base is more broader spectrum whereas Slayers is more focused. Its fair to say the Bush and Joey era's def have their own sound and style.

Therefore when a Band like Anthrax with its diverse fans suddenly shift a gear they could also segregate a section of those fans. Slayer fans haven't had a reason to think otherwise as their bands music hasn't really progressed since day 1. I mean you couldn't see Slayer doing a Black Album ala Metallica eh? Whereas Anthrax have experimented with Rap/Blues/Hard Rock throughout their time.

Personally I love both bands though I can't say I am diehard Slayer fan - but I do love their music.

especially when they had no problem saying they hated each other all the time (when Dave was in the band) I prefer Bostaph on drums anyway.

Slayer had some good stuff, but I never got into them as much as Anthrax. Their lyrics seem a little one dimensional at times (e.g Satan, hell, evil, kill, death...yawwnn), sorry to generalise but that is just the impression I get anyway.

Anthrax seemed to write about a variety of things, some interesting, some not but varity was all there.

I have Slayer's Decade of Agression cd and that sounds pretty good - War Ensamble (one song that does not fit into the above category) goes off, as does Angel of Death.

Brentney Spears said:
I thought Slayer totally sold out when Dave rejoined the band.

Your one liners get better and better. You should write a book.

I dont think its fair to say that Slayer never experimented with their sound--although not as extreme as anthrax. Look at South of Heaven for example, totally different firection than the previous release, and then S.I.T.A., mixed styles of both.

GregadetH said:

I know what you mean Greg. Last year Anthrax also played the Ulster Hall in Belfast, and the hall was certainly not filled. Yet when I went looking tickets for Megadeth at the same venue, it had sold out well in advance.

dutchy said:
Anthrax is top 40 pussy pop metal, Slayer is the real deal!!!

mmmmmm I don't agree with that one - never seen Anthrax on any of the So Fresh cd's or in a Smash Hits Magazine....

dutchy said:
Anthrax is top 40 pussy pop metal, Slayer is the real deal!!!

Dutchy - I think you win the award for BIGGEST SIGNATURE on this board. MY EYES MY EYES

hahaha, holy shit, I just had a flash back!

I remember when I was about 12, my sister used to read Smash Hits magazine and in one issue they had a "report" on Anthrax!! It talked about the fact that they skateboard, they wrote a song about Judge Dredd, and they are "thrash metal".
It also had the lyrics to Indians and a photo of the band (albeit from the fistful days)!

I had just gotten into Anthrax and metal then but I do remember thinking: "What the fuck are they doing in Smash Hits".

Jeebus!!