Any D&D players here?

gorath23

Feb 6, 2008
Haha, I'm putting myself out on a limb and assuming a fair few of you are nerds or ex-nerds like me, so I won't get shot down for asking this. Being a nerd and metal seem to converge. I guess this is more to the American members as it's not too popular here in the UK. So...anyone play/used to play D&D? Anyone like teh swordz and sorCery?

I did back in the 80's and maybe through about '91.

I illustrated a gaming organization's newsletter in the late nineties for a bit just because I was into fantasy art. I tried to get back into it with them once or twice because they were twisting my arm. It was just horribly NOT fun and they were mostly all extremely strange and annoying.

I don't really see how anybody could still get into that type of gaming with all the video games you can get these days. I used to lust after a proper D&D video game when I was young, now there is like a million of them.

I don't really see how anybody could still get into that type of gaming with all the video games you can get these days. I used to lust after a proper D&D video game when I was young, now there is like a million of them.

I think thats exactly why I love D&D, because video games aren't as good. Computer games are always limited in some way as to what you can do, with D&D you're only limited by your imagination, which sounds extremely cliche I know. Plus you just don't get that buzz playing against the CPU, or with an AI controlled party.
Oh, for the record I don't play anymore either (sadly). It's hard finding others players in the UK.

I think thats exactly why I love D&D, because video games aren't as good. Computer games are always limited in some way as to what you can do, with D&D you're only limited by your imagination, which sounds extremely cliche I know. Plus you just don't get that buzz playing against the CPU, or with an AI controlled party.
Oh, for the record I don't play anymore either (sadly). It's hard finding others players in the UK.

I guess D&D never reached that sort of pinnacle for me. The people I played with were always douchebags. :lol: If you had the right people to play with it was pretty fun.
When I gave up on trying to play again in the late nineties, I started playing Baldur's Gate on my PC and I liked that alot better. :)

I got the starter set and played with my kids. We ran through the scripted campaigns, so supposedly they're ready for the advanced rulebook... but they're not since they're 6, 8, and 10 :lol:

So I gotta make up some more short campaigns :oops:

I have and I'm waiting to get back into it, when you find a good bunch of people to run and play the game there is NO WAY a video game can come close.

For a taste of the last game I played, I was in a party that was devoted to an obscure deity of torture and pain playing a monk with a tentacle that had 40-foot reach and the ability to wield weapons... and I was about to get Whirlwind Attack. Can you say 40 FEET OF RAPE WITHOUT LIFTING A TOE, fuckers?

Jeff

I played back in the first 90's.. ;) oh great memories.
It was hard to find people to play with!!!
years ago (maybe 10 years ago .. can't remember) I discovered a place where you hang there buy a beer and you can play all the time you want... too bad Iwas not into that stuff anymore.
I still got the original D&D basic, expert, master and companion handbooks from the 80's (bought them in '90) .
Strange enough I don't like fantasy as much as when I was 12-14 years old.
Now I really love sci-fi movies/books, especially cyberpunk stuff (P.K. Dick is just the best), it's just more interesting.
I loved the LOTR saga at the cinemas but beside that there are very few fantasy movies outther that can be as good as that saga :(

I'm like most and used to play it a lot when I was in High School. Shadowrun Second Edition, Cyberpunk 2020, Wrath, Mechwarrior, Rifts, Call of Cthulhu. I never really got into playing D&D because I wasn't that much into the fantasy play. I was more of a Sci-Fi guy. Can't say I've rolled a die in many years. I sometimes miss the character creation and making up stories or campaigns. Though, sometimes I do get the urge to play, though hard to find people who actually play pin and paper games anymore. Plus, once you get older, playing pin and paper roleplaying games feels like your bringing out the G.I. Joes.

I'm like most and used to play it a lot when I was in High School. Shadowrun Second Edition, Cyberpunk 2020, Wrath, Mechwarrior, Rifts, Call of Cthulhu. I never really got into playing D&D because I wasn't that much into the fantasy play. I was more of a Sci-Fi guy. Can't say I've rolled a die in many years. I sometimes miss the character creation and making up stories or campaigns. Though, sometimes I do get the urge to play, though hard to find people who actually play pin and paper games anymore. Plus, once you get older, playing pin and paper roleplaying games feels like your bringing out the G.I. Joes.

G.I. Joe......good times.

You ever think back to having shit like that and try to remember what the hell you even did with them? I think I mostly just posed 'em and did slow motion karate while making ridiculous noises. I also buried them quite often and I have no idea why.

Anyway, totally off topic, my brain just took a detour.

NERDS!
nerds.jpg

G.I. Joe......good times.

You ever think back to having shit like that and try to remember what the hell you even did with them? I think I mostly just posed 'em and did slow motion karate while making ridiculous noises. I also buried them quite often and I have no idea why.

Anyway, totally off topic, my brain just took a detour.

No one wanted to play G.I. Joe's with me. I HAD to have a plot, characters, buildings, everything. Mainly, my stories were directly related to the latest Steven Segal movie that was playing on HBO, or maybe a plot along the lines of "Die Hard with LEGOs". I had the elaborate fights, car chases with my model cars, and I would use LEGO's as buildings to blow up. So, yeah, to play G.I. Joes with me you had to have a script of some sort.:headbang: