Any DIYers here?

Since this is my first mic build, I decided to forgo the PSU building and just bought one from Tab-Funkenwekr/AMI. However, when I'm done, I will be building an AKG C12, which will involve modding an Apex 460 PSU.

What's the cost on one of these, bychance? (The U47 and C12)

My U87 was about $600 all told; I still haven't done any big shootouts but so far I do really like it on vocals. Curious if a 47 or C12 might be more suited to some of the stuff I'm doing though.

What's the cost on one of these, bychance? (The U47 and C12)

My U87 was about $600 all told; I still haven't done any big shootouts but so far I do really like it on vocals. Curious if a 47 or C12 might be more suited to some of the stuff I'm doing though.

The U47 is a bit expensive. If you buy what I bought (Tab-Funkenwerk body, AMI Transformer, AMI remote polarity switching PSU, BeesNeez K7) you're looking at about $2,000 total for all the parts. That being said, I have chosen premium options. There are cheaper BV8 transformers available, cheaper K47 capsules, cheaper bodies, DiY PSU etc.

The C12 on the other hand you can do for about $900 (with a Tim Campbell CT12 capsule). Cheaper if you opt for a Microphone Parts or Peluso or Advanced Audio CK12-style cap.

I have elaborate plans for a 251, M49, U67, U87, C800G, etc. in addition

I just did my first two BYOC pedals (250+ and Amp Selector) that both worked the first time! I'd been thinking of doing something like this for a loooong time and with a mounting collection of vintage synths, I figured it's about time I learned some PCB soldering and whatnot. I wanted to start with something easy but also useful.

Now I got a craving for more. I've been looking at some DIY modular synth stuff, but it's getting WAY too esoteric for me. SCA stuff seems all right and maybe some CAPI. I don't have any interest in trying to source parts and drill holes, I want full kits that I can build while watching stupid things on tv.. :p

My band's other guitarplayer is into building stuff (with kits). He's done a little tubeamp (1W or so), a guitar preamp, various pedals, reampbox, a buffer box and some other stuff so far.

He built my TS808 clone, I was only around at the assembly at the end.
Yesterday we both built our midiswitch-pedal kits. took longer than we thought though :lol:

I'd like to get into some mic preamps first I think...but I got other stuff to get before that unfo.

CAPI is piss easy. Hairball makes it easy enough but just do not do the stereo 1176 unit. :lol:

SCA is great now that they're modular - the old units are a pain to assemble.

Is there any CAPI stuff that is not 500-series? I saw their website and got a little confused.

Is there any CAPI stuff that is not 500-series? I saw their website and got a little confused.

Unfortunately not, but they make DIY chassis that don't seem like a big savings at first ($700 or so in parts for an 11 slot rack), utilize a PSU that can power two so when you build a second the total cost is only about $1100 for 22 slots. Considering a Sweet Ten or Radial Powerhouse goes for $900-1000 for 10 slots, that's quite the savings.

Just built my first hackintosh if that counts.

16gb 3770k i7 blah blah, and I still couldn't put it on its knees. A bit overkill but 1000€ for such a beast was a good deal and I thought of it as a future-proof machine for audio and video.

I hope I have some spare time this summer between all the projects I have to get started on diy and build some CAPI pres. They look nice.

Unfortunately not, but they make DIY chassis that don't seem like a big savings at first ($700 or so in parts for an 11 slot rack), utilize a PSU that can power two so when you build a second the total cost is only about $1100 for 22 slots. Considering a Sweet Ten or Radial Powerhouse goes for $900-1000 for 10 slots, that's quite the savings.

Or wait for the Lindell racks. $300 for 6 slots and $600 for 10 slots. I also wondered if it worths spending so much for a 500 rack when a PSU for a pre is like $50 or something but now Lindell changed the game for me and I pre-ordered one already. I guess it worths it now.

Or wait for the Lindell racks. $300 for 6 slots and $600 for 10 slots. I also wondered if it worths spending so much for a 500 rack when a PSU for a pre is like $50 or something but now Lindell changed the game for me and I pre-ordered one already. I guess it worths it now.

^dude, what? a $300 500 series deal? now that's something i'm interested in...

I just became the secretary from my college's Audio Engineering Society group and we're looking for some DIY pedal kits to build and present as a club project. I'm specifically interested in big, gnarly fuzz or dist. pedals. Anyone have suggestions for some kits?