Any Dream Theater fans here...???

damn, and I always wished Petrucci would solo longer! the democracy of a band limits their studio wankery. however, I agree with whoever above said 6DOIT is missing a spark. Now, if you want completely over the top self indulgence, check out the Liquid Tension Experiment cds, with Petrucci and Portnoy.

When you talk about the progressive rockers, DT has it all over so many others, Spock's Beard and Symphony X have amazing chops but their songs don't move me; Gordian Knot is really intriguing, Enchant is good.

But a band to watch (go to their UM board and check out the samples) is Power of Omens. Geezopete, these guys are amazing. the singer seems to inspire dislike or love, no middle ground, but they are really interesting.

I like DT alot, but seeing them live is boring. I fell a sleep two times and woke up when they started jamming on a reggea beat.

And I'm SO tired of the childish remark about " how quality music sounds". So damn stupid. Who cares if it's quality or not and WHO decides wether it is or not? Critics? Fans? Musicians? Everyday people? The only thing that matters is wether you like it or not, the rest is just a fucking waste of time.

Poison Godmachine said:
Those aren't "solos" you goof, just cause there isn't any frigging singing and there are a lot of notes being played doesn't mean it's a fucking solo. jesus! I mean, are you counting that whole middle part of Metropolis as a SOLO? Good god.

Well, they seem to be ripping, trading licks back and forth, etc. Whenever I refer to those, "instrumental passages" if you prefer, I generally call them solos. As do most people. That's pretty much what the guy earlier in this thread meant, and that's all I was pointing out.

And, at a drum clinic, I heard Mike Portnoy himself refer to the entire middle section of Metropolis as "the band solo section." If dubbing it as such is good enough for him, then it's good enough for me too.

And you're a goof, you goof! :D

I like Dream Theater, but anyone who finds them exceedingly complex or overtly technical doesn't really listen to much. Here's a few bands to listen to that are in a similar vein to DT but take it up a notch:
Power of Omens
Andromeda
Dimension

Then we can go further, and get into the really technical stuff, like:
Spiral Architect
Spastic Ink

I'd list more, but I think you get the point. Dream Theater are great, talented musicians, but there are many bands who take the technicality to a much higher level. Personally, I like bands playing to their limits (aka showing off) because I like to hear what they are capable of. Kind of like PoE; Nevermore have said it was their showoff album.

I'll just leave it at that I'm a fan, very much enjoy Images And Words and Awake, and will be seein them next week

Power Of Omens, have nothing in common with Dream Theater, i think they really have their own identity and style, which is more influenced from Watchtower, fusion, and Queensryche.
they are more melodic, technical , and innovative (right now) than Dream Theater, DT wish that they could have an album like "Eye Of The Oracle" or "Rooms Of Anguish" instead of their recent crap.

Hell yeah. DT and NM are the tops of their music mountains! I consider both prog, just NM are overall heavier and faster than most prog bands! Warrel's lyrics/themes are 2nd to none! ...and as a unit, NM is one of the most talented bands out there! I'm a proghead, but NM is my breakout! Not many bands touch DT...but NM is one of them!

many bands touch DT's technique
DT do nothing more than playing prog rock riffs of bands like Rush and Yes in a metal-ish way, with lots of fusion elements.
but they had (now they dont) amazing ideas and songs.

OK, this is a subject I am very torn over. I have been a fan of DT since When Dream and Day Unite. I had the fortune to see them before Labrie joined, they did many instrumental shows. I even saw the dreaded Steve Stone performance, if your not sure what I am talking about ask one of the band members about that disaster.
Around the time of Awake either they changed or my interest in the bands music changed, but things for me seemed to go down hill with that band fast. I noticed a lack of songwriting and just more riffs that don't seem to fit together in the flow of the song.I continue to buy the CD's when they come out hoping for something great, usually after one or two listens I put it in the archives, never to be touched again.

I am totally psyched for this DT, Queensryche and Fates Warning tour. I will see them on tuesday in Fates Warnings home state ( only good export from CT ever! ) To me, Fates Warning is and always will be the better band when compared to DT, I enjoy the songs more and the fact that certain members of Fates no when NOT to play.
I am hearing rumours that John Arch may perform at this show which makes it more worth my while!
If anyone does not have the new John Arch solo CD go out and get it, truely amazing work.
damn this is long, enough of my rambling.