any drummers do the heel toe technique?(i made a video)

brianhood

No Care Ever
this is my attempt at explaining(or at least showing) my version of the heel toe technique. I'm not sure how many other drummers use this, but i haven't seen any metalcore drummers that do it in my years of touring(only videos of a couple deathmetal drummers)
I also show my Alesis DM5 settings at the end for anyone that has that drum module

btw, i'm a very awkward guy behind a camera...i promise i'm not like this IRL haha:lol:
I'm use to hiding behind a drumset at shows

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't play metal in the sense that it's Metalcore or Deathmetal but i do play drums.My understanding is the technique originated in the jazz swing era,and may have been influenced by tap dancing.
I definately apply the method heel toe,when i use my hat and it was primarily taught to me when i was taking jazz lessons,however with my bass drum foot i generally use a technique very similar to that of Dave Weckle.Not because i've tried to copy him but the way it's developed and works for me.
I can understand the importance of the technique in the styles you have described and couldn't comment on how many guys apply it,but there are a tone of videos out there on youtube describing double bass drum concepts.

Good job though,and most importantly if it works for you keep on applying it.;-)

I used to be fairly good at it with my right foot, never could get my left foot working. This is using DW's, so with the little board at the bottom. You really don't NEED the longboards (you can do the same thing you're doing, just with your foot up higher on pedal and your heel in the air), but I guess it makes it easier. I haven't tried em.

I might try and learn it again.. how do you find it for tricky patterns with the feet? I'm not into the whole 250bpm 16ths on the feet, more various patterns and for that I find the normal heel up works fine. But for some passages with fast 16ths I struggle.

My right foot sucks sooooooo bad. Honestly, I want to avoid being dependant on heel toe on the bass drum, not sure why but I feel that single strokes is the way to go before moving on to more complicated stuff but as I said, my right foot is terrible so I can't fuckin' go fast at all. It's like, twitchy as hell and I've got no control over a certain speed, while my left foot is just amazingly controlled and smooth but it lacks the burst speed I've got in my right foot... probably because my right foot is just twitchy and can't do more than 3-4 strokes before jamming up.

Speaking of single strokes... I love Mario's (Gojira) technique on his kicks, it's so smooth and elegant. He seems to be doing all ankles, which is fucking impossible for me on my right foot :(

<end whine>

I have completely no idea of drum techniques.
Just got a video from a good friend-not sure if it's the technique you show.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBehe5a_quw&feature=channel_page[/ame]

he just posts random videos of his drumming all the time on youtube :D

Our drummer does this, allows hard hitting even when flying, i like it. :headbang:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WkEGJj6s9-o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WkEGJj6s9-o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've tried it, but even with the Axis Longboards I just can't get it - size 13(uk) feet don't help either I'm sure!
But I can do single strokes pretty damn fast, heel slightly raised and I tend to have my bass drum pushed more forward than most drummers (toms are on a rack so I can keep them close) as I find that when I'm 'stretching' my legs to the pedals, I can endure fast speeds over longer periods of time.

dang man you were flying!

i can do it very well with my right foot, but my left foot just cant keep up! (damn dws:lol:), how long did it take you to get it downish?

dang man you were flying!

i can do it very well with my right foot, but my left foot just cant keep up! (damn dws:lol:), how long did it take you to get it downish?

thanks dude!

It seriously took me 3 hours of practice per day for 30 days straight to get to where i could pull it off fairly consistently. Then it took another 30 days of tour to be able to play it well enough to not completely embarrass myself trying to do it live.
Now i can do weird patterns and fun stuff with it:) maybe i'll make that my next video :headbang:

So much of what we are capable of doing on our feet,comes from our posture.Correct seating height and ease of motion.
To the guys who have a difficult time applying the opposite foot,i say make it a habbit to lead with the weak foot in your practise,and as Brianhood has pointed out,it takes daily practise for you to start noticing results.

So much of what we are capable of doing on our feet,comes from our posture.Correct seating height and ease of motion.
To the guys who have a difficult time applying the opposite foot,i say make it a habbit to lead with the weak foot in your practise,and as Brianhood has pointed out,it takes daily practise for you to start noticing results.

I'm really struggling with my seat height at the moment.

I've heard right angled knees are best, but if I have it like that, my right hand keeps hitting my leg when I go for the snare. So I raise my seat, then raise my snare a bit. Still having troubles, I'm quite awkward around the kit. Having big toms (12, 13, 16) doesn't help either.

The drummer in our band uses it on some of our doublebass stuff and in some fills.
It isnt really that useful in 80's "hair metal". ;P

same way when i first started trying to learn heel toe
after a month of practicing, your left foot should be able to do it nicely:)

Nice technique. A good friend of mine has it nailed. On the other hand I am far from having it down. I've been spending more time doing singles with my ankles for the fast stuff. It's starting to fall into place. Double bass has always been an uphill battle for me. Thanks for sharing your video posting!

I also wanted to add that I just picked up the Pearl Demon Drive pedals over the weekend. Right out of the box they are much better than my current pedals (Pearl Elminator). I set them up as long boards and they feel even better. Real smooth and responsive although I'm not sure though if I'd say they are better than Axis. I've got about a month to test em out and then I'll decide if they were worth the $650!!! (OUCH!) LOL