Any love for Old Man's Child?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I'm listening to the new one, "Vermin". Pretty cool. I remeber checking out "In Definace of Exsistence" and not being overly impressed. I can't say whether this CD represents any sort of shift in musical direction, as I'm not overly familiar with their discography. However, this CD is pretty cool. Nice riffing, the drumming is superb, the production is stellar, and the vocals are quite cool.

Thoughs?

Zod

"My Demonic Figures" is totally a drinking song, but other than that, mediocrity.

Born of the Flickering and In the Shades of Life (I'm so happy to have original Hot Records versions from these 2) are really great stuff, rest are somewhat boring. Have 'em all though, thanks to my urge to get BotF on vinyl and the boxset was the only way.

I would've soiled my trousers if I'd heard this record back in 2003, when I was heavily into Old Man's Child, Tidfall and similar bands. I'm not a very big fan of this genre anymore, though, but I do enjoy Old Man's Child and their (his) peers from time to time. "Vermin" is an enjoyable listen, stronger than "In Defiance Of Existence", but not a BUY OR DIE YOU PANSY album.

M.Lehto said:
Born of the Flickering and In the Shades of Life (I'm so happy to have original Hot Records versions from these 2) are really great stuff, rest are somewhat boring. Have 'em all though, thanks to my urge to get BotF on vinyl and the boxset was the only way.

The truth!!!

Crimson Velvet said:
I think I've heard this band compared to Dimmu too many times to listen to it unbiased.

That's what I kept hearing, but I'm listening to the new one right now. I can say this, the first track, "Enslaved and Condemned" is nothing like Dimmu. (Well, not the Dimmu polished synths Finnvox era anyway).

Actually, this isn't bad at all. Nicely surprised tbh. BUT, nothing you haven't heard a million times already.

I think Pagan Prosperity is the only album I've heard and enjoyed by OMC. I did hear/read that the new one is pretty thrashy w/ lots of riffs though, and not at all like the symphonic crap they used to do.

edit: though I could be wrong; I can hardly remember what I listened to 2 weeks ago, let alone years ago.

What I've heard is mostly mediocore.

HOWEVER, "The Millennium King" is an AMAZING track. I wish they had more like this.

JayKeeley said:
Actually, this isn't bad at all. Nicely surprised tbh. BUT, nothing you haven't heard a million times already.

Really? Can you please steer me to those million other bands? I LOVE the style (melodic black/thrash). Seriously, recommendations in this genre would be greatly appreciated. The bands I'm aware of would include the likes of Old Man's Child, Naglfar, Dissection, The Crown (and of course the sell out black metal styles of Dimmu, Satyricon, etc.). If there's a million other bands out there that copycat this style, then surely there must be a few bands out there that possess enough quality to rise above the masses. Thanks!

markgugs said:
Jason, Old Man's Child is nothing at all like Dissection or Naglfar.

Mark, I can see where you're coming from here, but I'm not comparing them as equal sounds, and they can certainly be lumped into the melodic black slash melodic thrash sub-genre. I know Naglfar and Dissection are mush thrashier in their sound (they are at the more extreme end of the sub-genre). But, believe me, I've seen OMC lumped together with those bands plenty of times.

Regardless, I'll take recommendations for both styles then if you truly want to separate them.

Well, I'd put OMC in with latter-day Satyricon, Tidfall, Dimmu, Cradle, etc., i.e. symphonic, overproduced, too-polished "black" metal (though I do love Satyricon, as you know). You can add Graveworm, Dragonlord, Asguard and like JayK said, probably 1 million more "clones."

Dissection & Naglfar are straight up melodic black metal, at least to me. Of course, melodic black metal could just as easily be called black/death, again IMO. Bands like that would be Vinterland, maybe parts of Sacramentum, even some of Marduk (not their Panzer Division-speed stuff).

That's where I draw the distinction.