Any Norwegian speakers out there?

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
I wondered if there is anyone here who speaks Norwegian (I would imagine there is) who can translate some of the song/album titles by Norwegian bands.

Darkthrone being an example (I presume it's norwegian) - Slottet I det fjerne, etc. etc. etc.

Those kind of things - what do they mean in English? Pleas help! :(

Cool, cheers!

Well basically, the rest of Darkthrone's stuff, like:

Over Fjell Og Gjennom Torner
Skald Av Satans Sol
Graven Takeheimens Saler
I En Hall Med Flesk Og Mjød
En As I Dype Skogen

Also Inno A Satana by Emperor. Actually that's latin I think! You don't happen to know what it means though do you? :lol:

Thanks henrikmain!

- Over Mountains and Throught Thorns
- Scald (or poet if you like) of Satan's Sun
- The Grave (in) the Halls of the Misty Realm (sort of, there is no precise English for Tåkeheim that I know of)
- In a Hall with Flesh and Mead
- A Hill in (the) Deep Forest

As far as I know Inno a Satana means something like "Hymn to Satan"

High On Maiden: You need a box full of pieces of paper with words such as "hill", "in", "misty", "castle", "deep", "winter", "Satan", "forest", "dark", etc. You shake the box, take out a few papers and put them together. There's your Norwegian song title for the day, translated into English too! ;-)

Good thread!

I would like to know the following titles from Kaizers Orchestra:

- Evig Pint
- Venner for Livet
- Hevnervals
- ompa til du dør

If someone would be so kind...?

I think Norwegian sounds really cool, if it is said how it is spelt that is! (which is quite weirdly, with strange letters!)

They fit metal songs well, because they sound sort of eery and alien (to me anyway!) haha

Sundazed said:
Good thread!

I would like to know the following titles from Kaizers Orchestra:

- Evig Pint
- Venner for Livet
- Hevnervals
- ompa til du dør

If someone would be so kind...?

-Forever Tormented
-Friends for Life
-Dance of Revenge (Vals is a dance, don't know the English word for it)
-Oompa Until You Die

Mange tak, Dark Disciple
It's the only words I know in Norwegian, even though I was in Norway for three weeks on holiday. Guess I'm a slow learner.
I used to think "Evig Pint" had to do with "beer", because that's what "pint" means in Dutch. I guess I couldn't be farther from the truth. Still not to sure about "Oompa", but my dirty mind will fill in a word there.

Sundazed said:
Mange tak, Dark Disciple
It's the only words I know in Norwegian, even though I was in Norway for three weeks on holiday. Guess I'm a slow learner.
I used to think "Evig Pint" had to do with "beer", because that's what "pint" means in Dutch. I guess I couldn't be farther from the truth. Still not to sure about "Oompa", but my dirty mind will fill in a word there.

You're welcome. "Oompa" is not a real word. It is the sound made by horn instruments such as tubas and trumpets.

So no beer, no sex. Two of my favourite things. Oh well...

Edit: Somehow "oompa"" sounded like "humping" in Norwegian to me. Is that a bad thing ?

Erik said:
"If the Light Takes Us," "That Which Once Was." Burzum never had NS lyrics.
Thanks. I kind of like Burzum. Even if they did have NS lyrics like some bands do, I would still listen to them, as it doesn't mean that I agree with their views or anything.

Norwegian... i like that language very much, to me it sounds like an mixture of english and german, overall (not really a wonder, since they're all the same language family). Not that hard to understand written norwegian at all, but i'm curious about the following ones:
  • Tanker mot Tind (Kvelding)
  • Naar Kulda Tar
  • Raabjørn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde

Raabjörn is the name of a person as far as I can tell. "Speile" means "to mirror" so "speiler" is "mirrors." "Draugheimen" means "home of the draugs", and a draug is a creature in Nordic folklore -- "A demon peculiar to the north Norwegian coast. It rides the seas in a half-boat." "Skodde" means "mist" or something, so the in English somewhat contrived title would be "Raabjörn Mirrors The Mist of the Home of the Draugs" or something.

"Naar Kulda Tar" -- "When the Cold takes" or something.

"Tanker mot Tind (Kvelding)" - "Thoughts towards (the) Mountaintop (Evening)"

I could be way off on these. I'm not even Norwegian but Swedish. Feel free to correct me.

It's correct, Erik. "Når Kulda Tar" is a Norwegian expression for really cold weather.. It's really really cold, når kulda tar! (When the cold weather gets you in its grip, so to say).