Any Rainbow fans?!!!!! Classic Metal at its best!

foxdvd

Coolest Opeth Fan
Jul 17, 2001
USA
Any fans? Something tells me that Opeth fans would also love classic Rainbow! :) I do know that Dark Tranquillity has been one of the biggest followers.....as are Helloween and Dream Theater.....

For some reason you never hear of this band, and yet they made some of the best music in the 70's and early 80's!

Early Rainbow has some good songs. But I cannot tolerate too much of Ronnie Cheese Dio - his lyrics and ad-libs are probably the worst heavy-metal garbage I have ever heard - I mean, he hits all cliches in one song ! There are probably more intelligent rap lyrics in the world, than Dio's nursery rhyming. And later Rainbow is below average, even worse than later Black Sabbath.

----------------------------------------
NP: Gentle Giant - Octopus

Each Rainbow album has some songs that could have been left on the floor, but they have made at least 20 great songs, and while the last few albums were not as good as older stuff, there is still great songs on each of these.

I don't know about this one...I'm inclined to go in the middle of Foxdvd and D Mullholand. While Rainbow was a great band for it's era, looking back, the music was pretty simple, again, compared to the other stuff out then, it wasn't, but upon listening to them now, i can't help but get the feeling that they are outdated and a little obsolete. Granted, this shouldn't apply to art, but try it. Listen to an old Black Sabbath song, (first 6 albums), then listen to Hollenthon, In Flames, Opeth, Emperor, or any of the most musically inclined bands today. They just can't compare anymore.

Back to the point. While there aren't any Rainbow songs I like a whole lot, I do like a little Dio. I really dig Last in Line, for example. I guess it might also have to do with the sound and "feel" I get from rainbow. They are just a bit too happy for me, though I kinda like the bluesy influence.

About the lyrics, D Mullholand: it really isn't about the lyrics. It's about the music. I can listen to God Dethroned, Deicide, and 75% of black metal, and still not be a Satanist, because I like the bands for the music, I don't listen for the lyrics. Don't get stuck on the lyrics, ignore them if you don't like them. I agree that Dio is pretty much a dumbass with an overrated voice, but that's not a reason not to give his music a chance.

Kudos.

P.S. Now that I think of it, Dio has a knack for destroying bands: both Black Sabbath and Rainbow pretty much fell into a coma when he neared the end of his rein over those bands.

While Rainbow was a great band for it's era, looking back, the music was pretty simple, again, compared to the other stuff out then,

I agree, but some of the charm of older music is how simple it is at times, and how it was the foundation for other music. I look back on a lot of music, and would never be a fan of it, if not for the fact that I grew up with it.

I am not going to say Rainbow would even be a top 50 band of mine now, but it is great music for what it is, and any fan of metal should at least try it out if they have not heard any.

Point made, foxdvd. I didn't grow up on Rainbow, so I don't have the same love for them as you do. Rather I grew up on Beethoven, while I normally wouldn't be his biggest fan, (not my favorite style of classical), I still enjoy it because of the nostalgia it reaps. I can respect them as original for their time, and as inspiration for other bands, but I still can't listen to them for very long intervals.

Kudos.

Rather I grew up on Beethoven

have you heard any "Virgin Black" ? I really think if you have a strong classical background you would just love this band...there are some other threads about them at this board...In fact, you might end up loving this band.

A link to their site,

listen.to/virginblack

they have one mp3 of a song there, and some short samples of a few other songs. The only problem with sampling this band is that they do not make songs in the typical manner. Just like any great classical composition, you can not truly appreciate a movement by just listening to one part. To fully enjoy this band you need to hear the album as a whole. Still the samples should be able to give you a taste.

right now the only real place to get it in America is www.cdquest.com but www.theendrecords.com will have it in a month or so, with new artwork...(they picked them up for America)

Two of my favorite songs: "Stargazer" and "Rainbow Eyes".

"Stargazer" has one of my all-time favorite solos. The Bastard In Black got it perfect on that one. Real virtuoso stuff. I can't imagine another guitarist (except, perhaps, Yngwie Malmsteen) being able to play it. Check it out.

Originally posted by TyrantOfFlames
I don't know about this one...I'm inclined to go in the middle of Foxdvd and D Mullholand. While Rainbow was a great band for it's era, looking back, the music was pretty simple, again, compared to the other stuff out then, it wasn't, but upon listening to them now, i can't help but get the feeling that they are outdated and a little obsolete. Granted, this shouldn't apply to art, but try it. Listen to an old Black Sabbath song, (first 6 albums), then listen to Hollenthon, In Flames, Opeth, Emperor, or any of the most musically inclined bands today. They just can't compare anymore.
I disagree about Black Sabbath's first 6 albums. Contrary to Rainbow or later (esp. Dio-era) Sabbath, the Ozzy albums are not dated.

About the lyrics, D Mullholand: it really isn't about the lyrics. It's about the music. I can listen to God Dethroned, Deicide, and 75% of black metal, and still not be a Satanist, because I like the bands for the music, I don't listen for the lyrics. Don't get stuck on the lyrics, ignore them if you don't like them. I agree that Dio is pretty much a dumbass with an overrated voice, but that's not a reason not to give his music a chance.
I totally agree ! I mean, I listen to stuff like Marduk at times, only for the music. There are very few metal bands with really good lyrics that are something more than HM-pompous catch-phrases.
Example of really good lyrics : Amorphis. Opeth is good too, but sometimes too much convoluted over-metaphorizing there.

P.S. Now that I think of it, Dio has a knack for destroying bands: both Black Sabbath and Rainbow pretty much fell into a coma when he neared the end of his rein over those bands.

Again I agree totally.

D Mullholand, a dead composer
---------------------------------
NP: Gyorgy Ligeti - Jupiter and Beyond

richie, richie! richie blackmore! i like rainbow and so does my mom (surprise!). they are a good band to kinda trip out to. that was from my mom... hehe! she was an after-hippie... like, after the hippie spasm was over, she came along and did the same hippie thing. cept that they hippies were s'posed to be dead. I LOVE MY MOMMIE! hehehe!:D
~definition defier

>>Any fans? Something tells me that Opeth fans would also love classic Rainbow!

I frequently name them my third favorite band, after Opeth and Blind Guardian! RAINBOW!!!!!

>>Early Rainbow has some good songs. But I cannot tolerate too much of Ronnie Cheese Dio - his lyrics and ad-libs are probably the worst heavy-metal garbage I have ever heard

I find Dio's lyrics to be bordering on genius and are completely inspiring... and if he INVENTED them, they're not cliche for him!

... and Dio Sabbath is MUCH better than Ozzy Sabbath... there is nothing redeeming about Ozzy or his voice... bleh! bleh! I love Live Evil... get to hear some of those Sabbath songs done properly!