Any Ultimate Fighting fans here?

If your a ju-jitsu or wrestling fan then the UFC is prfect for you. But if not, then it is like watching a boring street fight, with arms and elbows flailing etc. I prefer seeing the true skill and artistry of K1 or boxing, or even martial arts demonstrations. There is no skill in the UFC unless its on the ground.

And If you notice in the UFC 99.9% of the wrestling is done by pinning someone against the cage; you get rid of the cage, and what do you have? The wrestling would be pointless.

I do agree wrestling is an incredible fighting style. I was once challenged by the state like 135 or 130 lb wrestling champ at work maybe 5 years ago. He put me in a few holds it took a longwhile to get out of, but I eventually did becuase I was so much stronger and then I just pinned him against the door. If he was even 20 lbs bigger it would have been impossible.

KILL TULLY said:
It is far more then just "glorified greco-roman" though there are greco roman wrestlers involved. You see Jiu Jitsu vs Shootbox vs Greco Roman vs Pancration vs Submission Grappling vs...etc etc.

Yeah but it always ends up on the mat, so whoever can wrestle the best wins. What kind of fighting is that? Stand toe to toe and punch like men. Forget all this man handling and leg pulling.

This is why people watch boxing in their hordes. Of recent memory, the three Micky Ward vs Arturo Gatti fights outdo anything I've ever seen in UFC etc.

With that said, the UFC finals last night on Spike TV were glorious. Those two guys barely even tried to take each other down to the mat, instead they stood there and punched and kicked.

Look, I wanna see Bruce Lee taking on Chuck Norris in the colleseum -- forget all this wrestling/grappling nonsense. Remember that Van Damme movie? Yeah, I want a real life Bloodsport where people from all around the world come to the tournament with their unique skills.

People dog on the UFC because it isn't just a retarded bloodbath anymore, its a legitemet MMA league, where the fighters actually have to train and practice 150%.

Yeah exactly! The whole original attraction to UFC was that it took all the rules of olympic martial arts, boxing, and [real] wrestling and threw them out the window.

No longer can somone like Royce Gracie sweep the entire UFC (1, 2, and 3) just because he was a master at Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, because people realize now that this is a key element to anyones MMA game, so everyone trains it. The fights now are beutifull to watch and take much more skill and brains then the bare knuckle cock slapping fests of UFC.

Yeah, Gracie won those fights, but as far as I'm concerned, he was a one trick pony, and boring as hell to watch. The best thing that Kimo ever did was pummel his face into pieces.

And why the hell is Ken Shamrock still fighting? He looked like an idiot last night, slipping over twice, only to be smashed to pieces before the ref dived in to stop it. These fighters shoud quit while they're ahead.

Well then MMA is not for you, it is for people who want to see who is truely the better fighter because all diciplines are practiced and used. Also, K-1 has some rounds using MMA rules. Some k-1 fights even alternate K-1 Grand Prix rules and MMA between rounds, depending on what the fighters agree to...in fact this happend with Bob Sapp once.

speed said:
And If you notice in the UFC 99.9% of the wrestling is done by pinning someone against the cage.

Using the cage to your advantage is agains the rules in MMA, also PRIDE FC does not use a cage, it is fought in a ring. Im not ragging on you...but it seems like your MMA knowledge is mostly from cable TV and/or the UFC...have you watched any of the other fight leagues...or an entire K-1 Grand Prix including the MMA bouts?

POSINTG VIDEO SOON: and to clerify its submissino grappling, not MMA:( Im not good enough for MMA yet really...though I have pictures of me drunk at a party fighting MMA with somone, ill try to get those too.

lizard said:
so Tully, you're into all the Gracie stuff? Our web guy is into that bigtime.

I like the oldschool Gracies like Royce and Rickson, but I hate the new gracies just as much as I hate Tito Ortiz...there all cocky mother fuckers who ruin the sportsmanship of MMA.

And for the record....

THE UFC IS NOT THE ONLY MMA OUT THERE

Watch what you want to watch, but MMA is truely the only rules format in which the best fighters in the world are decided...pleasepleasplease if all you have watched is UFC don't judge MMA on that, ESPECIALLY not the Cable TV crapfests.

@Kill Tully - tell me what to buy on DVD. Seriously - make me a list of Pride DVDs or whatever, and I'll go hunt them down.

I've tried this before, but there are so many, I don't know which one to get, so any help would be good. If I'm going to buy a DVD, I'd like to know I'm getting a few good fights.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, Gracie won those fights, but as far as I'm concerned, he was a one trick pony.

He set out to prove that strickly Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu grappling could be any of the strikers in the UFC at that time. Thats why he came across as a one trick pony...because he ONLY used his BJJ skills to take down the top fighters of that era. He through only a few punches and elbows, all from full mount.
In later fights in Pride he used striking etc etc because his point was already proven. He changed the face of combat sports through his showing of BJJ in those UFC's, now BJJ is the basis of most MMA combatants fighting, and considered one of the most practical and realistic fighting methods in the entire world.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, I want a real life Bloodsport where people from all around the world come to the tournament with their unique skills.

Blood sport is not real...MMA is the closest thing to it...whether you like it or not in a no rules fight like the Kumite in bloodsport the fights would be like that you see in pride THEY WOULD END UP ON THE GROUND, GRAPPLING. Thats how real fights end up, not toe to toe boxing.

JayKeeley said:
@Kill Tully - tell me what to buy on DVD. Seriously - make me a list of Pride DVDs or whatever, and I'll go hunt them down.

I've tried this before, but there are so many, I don't know which one to get, so any help would be good. If I'm going to buy a DVD, I'd like to know I'm getting a few good fights.

www.sherdog.com look at the videos section. Especailly look for Wanderlei Silva highlights if you want to see some great pride fights! so sick! And Genki Sudo is my favorite grappler out there...you may change your mind about it being boring if you can find some of his fights...

God damnit i really want to find this video of Genki Sudo at a grappling competition, im SURE it will convince a few of you that grappling can be exciting and beutifull to watch.

KILL TULLY said:
Blood sport is not real....

Yes it is! At the beginning, it says "Based on a True Story...". :tickled:

Anyway, can you not give me specific DVD titles? I'd really like to pinpoint specific fights. I have only ever seen UFC, so I'd like to check out Pride perhaps or anything other title you can recommend. :)

JayKeeley said:
Yes it is! At the beginning, it says "Based on a True Story...". :tickled:
hahahaha, yea, www.bullshido.com go there, they have a sticky in the forums about the guy its based on =P

Anyway, can you not give me specific DVD titles? I'd really like to pinpoint specific fights. I have only ever seen UFC, so I'd like to check out Pride perhaps or anything other title you can recommend. :)

Eep, just get any Pride DVD then, they are all amazing...but you really don't have to, there are entire fights for download on www.sherdog.com www.mmafighter.com www.subfighter.com

to get dvd's go here http://www.sherdog.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?category=Fight Shows: PRIDE FC

ide recomend Total Elimination, Legacy (prides 1-5 on one DVD!), 21, and 20.

I actually havn't seen that fight, but the fight Frye had vs Takyama was....wow i don't even know how to describe it....

Takayamas face afterwards:
4751_1.jpg

maybe that helps, haha

KILL TULLY said:
I like the oldschool Gracies like Royce and Rickson, but I hate the new gracies just as much as I hate Tito Ortiz...there all cocky mother fuckers who ruin the sportsmanship of MMA.
Relson Gracie has a dojo (if that is the right term) here in Columbus....

there are some novels you may or may not be interested in by a guy named Barry Eisler, who has trained with the best in Tokyo at that famous judo center (Kodokan?)....in the latest one he goes to Brazil and stops by the Gracie HQ. He thanks the whole clan in the novel's notes....

Yea i saw an interview with him in an issue of Grappler magazine, so i checked out one of his books at Barnes and Nobels...somthing about Rain....they seemed pretty cool ill pick one up soon I think.