Anybody here that hates the beatles?

Anywho, if you actually like non-metal/obscure music at all, chances are you're going to grow out of hating the Beatles if you listen to them with an open mind. I used to dislike them, then my tastes went from shit to decent.

Ok perhaps developmentally the beatles had "a few" good songs like 1-3 (Can't think of the names), I know its when they wrote more dark and complex songs though. But I find them at most annoyingly cheesey regardless.

You're not alone, TotalDeathXZero. I appreciate what they did but I really find their music a bit hard to listen to, let alone enjoy. And contrary to what Lateralus14 said, liking their music has nothing to do with liking non-metal/obscure music. I like everything from Dead Can Dance to Krucifix Klan to Chopin to Katatonia to Ladytron to Pinback to Gorgoroth to...well, that's enough; and yet I do not like the Beatles. It's personal taste, and they certainly don't fit the bill for me.

The Beatles were clearly very talented, and arguably were one of the first bands to make "serious"/artistic music that also had mainstream appeal. Just look at all the iconic (and formulaic) pop stars of the '40s and '50s with legions of fans - Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, etc. - and then look at the Beatles. Quite a difference in terms of substance. I think anyone who calls them overrated has a lot of explaining to do.

I don't enjoy their music either, but I think much of that has to do with their generally 'light-hearted' attitude, which is a big put-off for me. I doubt that anyone who thinks the Beatles are crap really listens to any '60s pop rock like the Beach Boys, Animals, Kinks, Hollies, etc., which would make their opinion rather trivial.

Anywho, if you actually like non-metal/obscure music at all, chances are you're going to grow out of hating the Beatles if you listen to them with an open mind. I used to dislike them, then my tastes went from shit to decent.

Unless you don't enjoy their approach to songwriting. I'll take Floyd, Tull, or Genesis over The Beatles any day.

There are a few '60s bands with a pop songwriting approach that aren't so happy-dappy and still rule immensely. The pinnacle of "dark 60s pop" would of course be the Doors, though there's also Spooky Tooth.

I don't hate The Beatles, I just don't think they're anywhere near 'the best band ever' like some seem to think.

I feel like The Beatles is one of those band that never were overrated. They deserve all the praise they get. I ten to think that most other legends ae overrated though. Like the Rolling Stones or Elvis Presley.

I respect The Beatles, and they were surely ahead of their time. I mean, any pop band worth their money the last 30 years owes tons to The Beatles.
However, I've never been able to enjoy their music as much as their cred and respect-ratio would suggest. I enjoy a similar band from that time; The Zombies, much more.

I recognize the huge impact they had on the music of the time, and they have inspired countless musicians, so for these things I give them their due credit. But personally, I have never liked their music. I find it boring and lifeless with virtually no appeal whatsoever. I don't hate them, I just don't pay any attention to them.

Unless you don't enjoy their approach to songwriting. I'll take Floyd, Tull, or Genesis over The Beatles any day.

Considering Floyd/Tull style songwriting pretty much didn't exist in the mainstream when the Beatles got started..well I guess you can dislike them but that's not much of an argument if you wanted to go as far as to say they are overrated.

And personally they're the only really happy band I ever listen to, and it's fucking nice after 10 black metal albums in a row to get that dark shit off your chest with some Rubber Soul.

Edit/Rant: UM's general attitude towards anything mainstream in general just pisses me off tbh. It just seems like a big majority of people here have no concept of respect for musical contribution, and are willing to bash any band as long as they have over a million plays on last.fm. But once they have about 3 people listening to them worldwide, then they're amazingly good pioneers, until they become too trendy that is. I was just thinking about this, I think the only somewhat-mainstream band I haven't seen bashed like crazy on this board is '83-'86 Slayer, and even then you get elitest faggots that insist on reminding everyone that they're fucking retarded if they enjoy Reign In Blood when its so much more trendy to like Hell Awaits more. God dammit fuck you all.

Ok I'm gonna need to get off the internet for a bit and chill out.

Edit/Rant: UM's general attitude towards anything mainstream in general just pisses me off tbh. It just seems like a big majority of people here have no concept of respect for musical contribution, and are willing to bash any band as long as they have over a million plays on last.fm. But once they have about 3 people listening to them worldwide, then they're amazingly good pioneers, until they become too trendy that is. I was just thinking about this, I think the only somewhat-mainstream band I haven't seen bashed like crazy on this board is '83-'86 Slayer, and even then you get elitest faggots that insist on reminding everyone that they're fucking retarded if they enjoy Reign In Blood when its so much more trendy to like Hell Awaits more. God dammit fuck you all.

Maybe I'm delusional, but I don't really see this. There are some immature members who may bash on all popular music, probably, but stupidity is to be expected, everywhere.

For an example, Radiohead seem reasonably respected around here, moreso than The Beatles, for a reason; they're not as sappy as The Beatles but have similar mass appeal.

It's really part of a general lack of perspective about music outside of metal, and the way music has developed as a whole. Of course, this is a metal forum, so one should expect the bulk of the membership here to have relatively narrow tastes in music. I've pretty much stopped taking the so-called "elitists" seriously, especially the ones who only care about a single subgenre of extreme metal of which several thousand bands all happen to be equally the greatest bands they've ever heard.

I don't think the mainstream-bashing is really as bad as you make it out to be, though. It's more of just a general apathy toward mainstream-friendly or otherwise "catchy" styles of music.

Yea admittedly I don't know so much how it is down here as it is up in GMD, but yea, the most popular stuff like Metallica or Iron Maiden to anything that seems to get a bit too much attention at any time like Opeth or Cynic, it's only a matter of time before you get a solid group of posters discussing how incredibly bad those bands are and how they'd be less shitty if they were more like *insert some slam death or orthodox bm band here that no one's ever heard of*. I may have exaggerated a bit, vihris, but I would definitely call most of it bashing as opposed to apathy (people like Cookie or Obscure will go out of their way to bring up a previously irrelevant Opeth or Metallica just so they can immediately bash them). And on the rest...I agree.

I don't really agree with this. I think most people here can appreciate mainstream music from the 60's and 70's. I mean I really like bands like The Mamas And The Papas, or Fleetwood Mac, and I dare say that there was much more heart in mainstream pop back in those days (with exceptions of course). Something happened in the 80's that is still in effect today, there's such a significant difference it's almost weird. People started to accept crap for some reason, but as to what that reason is, I'm clueless.

Yea admittedly I don't know so much how it is down here as it is up in GMD, but yea, the most popular stuff like Metallica or Iron Maiden to anything that seems to get a bit too much attention at any time like Opeth or Cynic, it's only a matter of time before you get a solid group of posters discussing how incredibly bad those bands are and how they'd be less shitty if they were more like *insert some slam death or orthodox bm band here that no one's ever heard of*. I may have exaggerated a bit, vihris, but I would definitely call most of it bashing as opposed to apathy (people like Cookie or Obscure will go out of their way to bring up a previously irrelevant Opeth or Metallica just so they can immediately bash them). And on the rest...I agree.

+1 :)