anybody use the Ibanez Art300? worth it or just cheap?

jrt12

Oct 20, 2008
Hell-ay, CA
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-ART300

I have the oppty to pick up one of these for pretty cheap (~$200) but i've never played (or even seen one before) and wondered what the overall opinion was of them. i dont need it, it would just be picked up as a project guitar to customize down the road. but not if its just a cheap guitar all around. anyone own or use this line before and have any opinions about them, good or bad?

I have one and I like it quite a bit. It's a solid guitar for a really good price. It has my favorite combination of materials - Mahogany Body with a Maple cap for a thick tone with strong mid-range that is not harsh/bright like solid Maple can be or as dark as only Mahogany is. The neck is Mahogany/Rosewood as well. One note - it is only 22 frets with a 24.75" scale/length - so classic Les Paul configuration.

As for the Ibanez Actives (LoZ1N and LoZ1B) pickups - they are great for stock actives - they are powered differently than most actives in that they use 2xAA batteries instead of the usual suspects 9volts. I have grown to really like the sound but one thing to make sure if you try one out - bring a fresh set of batteries with you and a small screwdriver because old batteries really do effect the tone. I played one at the local Guitar Center and was not that enamored by the sound, then read about using fresh batteries - went back, changed them out and it was like night and day - the tone livened up, the mud went away, they were like different pickups. The battery life is really good, but by replacing the stock batteries with some good Duracell's really helped.

I think for the price - it's a great guitar, one I have no regrets buying.

art_case.jpg

thank you both for your input. sounds like a great deal so i'm gonna try and pick it up. its the brown one, which by the online pix looks pretty cool and unique. so i think i'm gonna really dig it.

damn, i missed it! it already sold. i shoulda known that it would have sold fast, seemed like such a great price. but i just didnt want to spend money on a guitar that i had no experience with. well, its probably for the best. i didnt NEED it... but need and want are so relative, are they not?

thanks again for your input, i'll just keep my eyes out and maybe another steal like this will come by.