Anyone heard the new Megadeth track?

This was uploaded 4 hours ago when I'm writing this post. Brand spanking new and its eargasmically tasty. Listen in on the very end there's a random synth note that plays for no reason at all, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
you're a bit late i heard this a while back haha but yeah i noticed that synth too. maybe its the starting of the next song or just trying to end it in an epic fashion? i heard a shitty rip that obviously wasn't a good version, i can't wait to hear the full album after hearing this and headcrusher though.

Spirited debate going on in here. That last track sounds not too bad, but thne again I was never a passionate Megadeth fan.

There are definitely guys out there in the same 'field' that are transcending the status quo modern metal productions. Listen to the newest Anaal Nathrakh, or Akercocke's Words That Go Unspoken... That's what I like to hear, if fidelity is a hallmark of your metal. I'm still waiting to hear something that catches my ear from Andy.

Take some risks! Annihilate the norm!

We're definitely in the same boat about that. I still respect Andy's work a lot, but as you said, after Dead Heart... it went really stale. Yes, the Formation Of Damnation is even more sonically perfect than his previous work with Testament, but I LIKED the slightly cluttered mix and grit on the guitars... Now, it's always more of the same.

As you said, take some risks!

Productions that catch my hear nowadays are usually not the overly polished ones, with maybe the exception of Zeuss' and Logan Mader's work. Logan's mix on the latest Gojira is absolutely stunning from that POV, but ironically I don't think Gojira is the right band for that sound... but that's something on its own...

A dude like Jens Bogren does the same studio trickery like Sneap and co., yet the last Opeth and Katatonia records have much more of a natural vibe to them, especially the drums.

Good call on Akercocke... and who mixed it? Neil Kernon did! Neil sometimes gets a lot of smack for the guitar sounds on the Nile records... And I can't disagree more, because he's one of the few guys who tries to capture the sound of the band, instead sculpting the band's sound into HIS sound. Neil is all over the place... and I think that's awesome!

I applaud bands like Mastodon and Death Angel for going a bit outside the box with choosing "rock mixers" (that are very much high profile) like Brendan O'Brien and Nick Raskulinecz, respectively. No fatiguing mixes and masters, no pastic drums... a world of a difference.

--------------

And just a little thought on Shawn Drover's drum performance: Who knows how much freedom that guy has in MegaDave world?

I really liked the production on the latest bring me the horizon (even though I was able to get through only a song and a half)

it was done by fredrik nordstrom.

See but slash is right, Kernon is all over the place, I mean just to juxtapose the work he did with Nile and ZOP, Jeff's album sounds really polished and very sneap-like to my ears... Lack of consistency can really go one way or another in that industry.

Pro Tools has nothing to do with it.

It's his refusal to allow any of the actual, organic sorts of 'mistakes' to enter his mixes. It's picture perfect; devoid of the soul and spirit of humanity, sampled (itself, blatant discarding of the authentic) for maximum impact and minimal verisimilitude. When the carnal spirit and primality of metal music is lost, is it still even 'metal'?

It's scientific. If you want scientific music, listen to beats created by computers. Or Andy Sneap.

Suck it.

It's funny.. cause on both Nevermore albums he produced, there are productional misstakes. Or rather, mr. Sneap doesn't cut the tracks right. At the end of Narcosynthesis, you can hear Van putting the sticks down on the toms, and in the beginning of My Acid Words, a click-track is appearant, if you listen closely.

I guess people knew that.. but still, pretty stupid misstakes from a guy that is the mother of production-perfectionism.

I dunno were I am going with this... fuck it.