Anyone interested in mixing this?

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
Posted this in rate my mix section.

My final mix is this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Ascendancy - The Kill.mp3

I'm happy to upload all the raw tracks (real drums, guitar DI's, vocals and synths etc., and rockband bass), if anyone would like to mix this? I don't need it mixed, but if people want practice mixing real drums, and a kinda different style (the beginning anyway) to whats usually available here, I'm happy to help out.

THE TRACKS:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/AscendantStudiosTheKill.rar

Details:
Drums were Pearl Export with a really nice Pearl Brass Freefloater Snare (14"). All heads were ridiculously old, snare head was like 8 months old, toms 2 years, kick head is fucking second hand at least 3 years old.
PG81 on overheads
57 on snare
e902 on kick (+tom samples)

Vocals were done with a PG81. Everything but the last chorus was tracked with speakers blaring. Bad choice, not doing that again.

Acoustic was mic'd with a PG81 (workhorse mic! Sounds great imo), pointing roughly at where the neck meets the sound hole, at an angle. Got this from the Tommy Lee website, first time mic'ing up an acoustic. Don't know the brand of the acoustic.

Electric Guitars were an Ibanez of some sort, I don't know the details.

Everything into an FP10.

So shitty amateurs like myself can have a crack at just fucking with the files to just work on mixing skills? I'd probably be too embarrassed to post the final results here (well, I would after some nagging and "come on, so we can give constructive criticism"), but yeah, I'd like to be able to do this to have a mix project to do.

Cool.. I'll try and upload it tonight or tomorrow. There were like 30 or so tracks iirc, but I split a lot of them up so hopefully there wont be that many files.

edit; ok 19 tracks, 500mb somehow compressed to a 100mb rar file. Uploading now :)

First post updated with the tracks. Looking forward to hearing people's perspectives on this. Also, any comments on the raw files are much appreciated. I'm still not very good at tracking and editing, but I'm getting there.

Thanks Morgan C :) I spend as much trawling through these forums in search of raw multitracks to practise with as i do looking for new knowledge and info. I love it when something like this comes along

question for your singer. He pushes at the very end and hits the highnote why doesnt he do that in the rest of the tune it would sound alot better

Thanks for the tracks, I could really use a bit of worry-free mixing just for fun! I finished editing and mixing an awful cabaret show today. Three 6-hour days to edit and mix a 40min show, which was tracked horribly live (seven vocalists with old and really crappy Shure headset mics, drums, electric bass, double bass, trumpet, flute, guitar, banjo and accordion, someone noticed to actually plug the cable to the guitar mic in the middle of the fourth song, tracks clipping, bleed everywhere etc.) Damn near drove me nuts.

Anyway, here's my go at it: http://tainted-studio.com/misc/Ascendancy - The Kill.mp3

Thanks man, will have a go at this today! Who is the band? The band that recorded this not the original. Sydney guys?

Thanks man, will have a go at this today! Who is the band? The band that recorded this not the original. Sydney guys?

Its my band :)

My mix:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3059518/The Kill.mp3

Thanks for this, definately a learning experience working with the real drums. it also made me realize how much I suck at working with vocals

Sounds good, but the acoustic guitar is kinda tinny, and the kick is pumping everything MAJORLY.

Interesting that you go straight for 100% sample replacement. I think too much delay/reverb on the vocals, especially at the end. The end didn't have a very good performance unfortunately.. our singer is going for lessons so hopefully later songs will have better performances.

Haha yeah my acoustic is probably so tinny because yours sounded muffled on my monitors so I was overcompensating.

And I have no idea how I did not notice the pumping with the kick, it is so glaringly obvious now.

What did you do to your snare?
I really like the sound of it in your mix but I couldn't get anywhere near that.

Haha yeah my acoustic is probably so tinny because yours sounded muffled on my monitors so I was overcompensating.

And I have no idea how I did not notice the pumping with the kick, it is so glaringly obvious now.

What did you do to your snare?
I really like the sound of it in your mix but I couldn't get anywhere near that.

I compressed and limited the overheads because there was way too much snare in them. That got rid of most of the attack and just left the decay. They were also EQ'd to get rid of the snare in the lowmids.

Snare was split into a 'crack' and 'body' track. The crack track had a transient designer and a sharp gate, the body track had a compressor (0 attack), and a loose gate. THen bussed together for further EQ/sat/compression.

Its my band :)

Sounds good, but the acoustic guitar is kinda tinny, and the kick is pumping everything MAJORLY.

Interesting that you go straight for 100% sample replacement. I think too much delay/reverb on the vocals, especially at the end. The end didn't have a very good performance unfortunately.. our singer is going for lessons so hopefully later songs will have better performances.

Oh cool man whats the name? I thought the raw tracks were sounding pretty good tbh. Where did you track them? At yours?

Both the techno kick and normal kick are too loud and have too much low end.
Also, how are you gonna get better at getting vox to sit in the mix if you don't try, especially with some well recorded like these?

-fixing the kicks now.

I know i should work on the vox but it was just a quick mix to have fun with before i have to endure the bains of uni coursework ;)