Anyone interested in mixing this?

i spent a couple hours playing around with these tracks today...was nice to get in some practice on something that wasn't metal!

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/morgan c.mp3?w=5779d5ad

edit: cymbal pumping is a mother fucker...i also had a bitch of a time getting that synth to cut through the bass, so i ended up using a sidechain on it...think i might've ducked the bass a little bit too hard, but shit happens

whats the tempo of this?

170, then 174, then 178, then 183 at the second chorus.

Here is my first attempt. Looking forward to your feedback :kickass:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/260611/MorganC Song/MorganC_song_Test1.mp3

Not bad, although the low-end is quite boomy (the acoustics are clipping in the lowend :/ ), and the vocals stick out a lot. That's the main thing I struggled with, our vocalist doesn't have the greatest technique and it was quite hard getting him to fit in. More compression, less reverb I'd advise.

i spent a couple hours playing around with these tracks today...was nice to get in some practice on something that wasn't metal!

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/morgan c.mp3?w=5779d5ad

edit: cymbal pumping is a mother fucker...i also had a bitch of a time getting that synth to cut through the bass, so i ended up using a sidechain on it...think i might've ducked the bass a little bit too hard, but shit happens

Bad link. Also, I exported that synth raw. I did a LOT of processing on it, compression, limiting, highpassed at like 200hz and added lots of distortion. I basically just wanted the 'air' that came from it.. using it raw would not work at all, but I didn't want to 'premix' it for you.

Nice panning of the techno hihat, I like it.
Snare sounds really odd. I don't know what you did to it, sounds maybe like a phase issue or something? Other than that sounds quite good. I'd go less reverb on the vocals, but they sound quite. There's some odd pumping at the end, and then the guitars suddenly pop up (automation).. quite distracting.

Also, one thing I did which no-one else seems to have done is highpassed the bass until the end. Its a very 'metal' tone with lots of treble, that just sticks out way too much in the acoustic bits.

My quick mix: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1436721/Ascendant_The Kill.mp3

Some observation: In my opinion the first acoustic part is a little too long, it should be better with some drums part like the original one. The vocals are not that good.

Dunno, we started with it completely acoustic at a practice.. there were no drums to begin with, and we really liked the tone of it. If the vocal performance was better I don't think it'd be a problem. Our vocalist has started taking lessons (today he went for one), so hopefully later tracks will be much better.

what mic and preamp did you use on drums and vocals? and what snare is that?

Missed this, I'll post details on the front page.

real drums are pain in the ass :ill:
Real drums are just so much easier to work with and sound better!
:loco:

...andy why do you think that is? ;) They are pitched fifth above the original track. Looks like the first few were too loud, I originally had them a bit quieter. But how does it sound otherwise to you?

Just cos its a fifth doesn't mean its going to work.. unless he's singing the root note of the chord the guitars are playing and thats it. Use your ears, you can tell it totally doesn't fit, surely! Doesn't sound too bad otherwise, although WAY too much verb on the vocals.

Also, one thing I did which no-one else seems to have done is highpassed the bass until the end. Its a very 'metal' tone with lots of treble, that just sticks out way too much in the acoustic bits.

I don't know about anyone else, but I kept that kind of sound because it popped out in a unique way. I mean I wouldn't have usually considered that kind of sound for the bass for this kind of song but then I kinda liked how it sat it a unique way.

Dunno, we started with it completely acoustic at a practice.. there were no drums to begin with, and we really liked the tone of it. If the vocal performance was better I don't think it'd be a problem. Our vocalist has started taking lessons (today he went for one), so hopefully later tracks will be much better.

The acoustics sound amazing in my opinion. And also drums are pretty good.

Here's my first mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/317666/ascendant-mix01.mp3

There is probably lot of things wrong in my mix though, it's 3 am here and I've been mixing/adding stuff on it since 12 on behringer headphones since it's too late to use my monitors :lol: I used this opportunity to try the kick and snare samples I posted a couple of days ago. Kick is 100% triggered with the gog I posted, and snare is 70% original and 30% the snare sample I posted.

The biggest change I did to the song was composing a string arrangement over a part of the song...I like it personally, hope you will! And great song :headbang: Loved the sound of the acoustic a lot.

Glad to hear that everyone thinks this is fairly well tracked. I'd still consider it an amateur recording, but quite a good one it seems. Recently I'm really wishing that I had better rooms/pres/outboard stuff.. my mixing ability is really limited by the poor conditions I record under.

Since a lot of people like this snare.. I think I made samples of them, I'll try to find them and post them. Want the kick too?

^HandsOfDespair, I really dig the string arrangement. Our singer asked me to put some strings in there but I just don't have any realistic software for it. What'd you use?

Glad to hear that everyone thinks this is fairly well tracked. I'd still consider it an amateur recording, but quite a good one it seems. Recently I'm really wishing that I had better rooms/pres/outboard stuff.. my mixing ability is really limited by the poor conditions I record under.

Since a lot of people like this snare.. I think I made samples of them, I'll try to find them and post them. Want the kick too?

^HandsOfDespair, I really dig the string arrangement. Our singer asked me to put some strings in there but I just don't have any realistic software for it. What'd you use?

Glad you like it! I used east west symphonic orchestra gold.