anyone into Testament and Arch enemy should check this out

Yea we got an advance, but we recorded the drums for the album ourselves at SAE college in Liverpool. Myself, the drummer and singer/guitarist all studied audio engineering at the SAE London so we got to record for free in SAE liverpool.

We recorded all the guitars, bass and vox at the singer/guitarists home studio, its much more relaxed doing it this way, and we also save our advance for touring and stuff.

Would you have been able to record it on that budget,if you had to pay a proffessional producer for doing everything?How many albums are you signed for and are you happy with their promotion?

yea I think the budget was easily enough to record at a reasonable studio.

The promotion has been good, terrorizer, Kerrang and Metalhammer have treated us well. We got 4Ks in Kerrang, and two 8 out of tens from terrorizer and Metalhammer.

We also have had adverts in those magazines also, along with Crowbar.

send a promo to all the lables, but make sure you make a portfolio with Photographs, some writing about the band and make the demo artwork impressive.

Try labels like, Listenable, Century Media, Nuclear Blast, Earache - Make a list of priority lables and then a list of other lables which may not be as big.

Just send ure shit out there! and be prepared to give promo's away to people for free, even to people in the crowed at your gigs.

Fyhed said:
send a promo to all the lables, but make sure you make a portfolio with Photographs, some writing about the band and make the demo artwork impressive.

Try labels like, Listenable, Century Media, Nuclear Blast, Earache - Make a list of priority lables and then a list of other lables which may not be as big.

Just send ure shit out there! and be prepared to give promo's away to people for free, even to people in the crowed at your gigs.

Been there , done that, bought the tshirt(how long did it take from when you shipped of the cd's till you got signed?

metalizer said:
Been there , done that, bought the tshirt(how long did it take from when you shipped of the cd's till you got signed?

One thing that never hurts is making a few friends at labels. Even if you've got a buddy in the shipping dept. cranking your demo, a lot of times more label folks will hear it that way than if you send unsolicited material (which at larger labels often go straight into the trash).

Also, it could just be my experience but I think labels want to see that bands are playing out or maybe touring before they sign.

Another idea that has worked for my band and a few friends...don't be afraid of doing a limited run copies deal for your demo even if the label is rediculously small. If nothing else this can get someone else to front the money for pressing discs and printing a nice layout. Plus then you have something "released."

egan. said:
One thing that never hurts is making a few friends at labels. Even if you've got a buddy in the shipping dept. cranking your demo, a lot of times more label folks will hear it that way than if you send unsolicited material (which at larger labels often go straight into the trash).

Also, it could just be my experience but I think labels want to see that bands are playing out or maybe touring before they sign.

Another idea that has worked for my band and a few friends...don't be afraid of doing a limited run copies deal for your demo even if the label is rediculously small. If nothing else this can get someone else to front the money for pressing discs and printing a nice layout. Plus then you have something "released."

I think you are right especially about the importence of playing live, btw what's the name of your band and what label are you on?

It's not so easy to get a good contract these times!
We did our first album for Atrheia Records (the personal label of Labyrinth and Angra manager) and it seemed that we were about sign with CM for some period but then nothing...
Music buisness is in true crisis, there's no more money to be spent in young bands, even if (as everyone seems/seemed to think 'bout us!) you are "one of the most interesting bands coming out from Italy"... :yell: :cry:

We ended recordings of our second album and just started the "painful" process of finding a good (hopefully big) deal for that and our manager told us again that it will be hard work, also if we have a good first album, a great second second album, a good name (especially here in Italy) and good friends here and there in the music buisness and press...

The only thing I learned in my (little) experience is that nowadays, if you want to have a chance to get signed, (aside from playing live, get a good reputation and make some friend at labels :D ... as everyone told before) is that you have to propose to labels a complete work, the master of you debut album, ready to be printed: sad but true, that way you reduce their risks to near zero and you give them the possibility to have in front of them exactly what they'll publish... as a friend told me some time ago, it's hard that a smart label mamager refuses to print a great , READY, album!

Of course your band and your album have to be KILLER, but that's not your problem: you did truely an amazing job with your demo! :D :headbang:

For our first album, "Ceramic Placebo fo a Faint Heart", recorded at the Outer Sound Studios in Rome with Giuseppe Orlando of Novembre, we spent about 6000 EUR... ah, good times! :D it was 2002!
The second album was produced by me in my studio, so we spent some money to rent the studio where we recorded the drums ('bout ten days of work... to be honest I don't remeber... it was a 'bout 1000 EUR)... and then six months of my life :D !! o_O

Ah.. the band name is edensHade, in our web site www.edensHade.com there are some samples (2 from CPfaFH and 1 from the new album), if you want give a listen! (but please... don't tell me that our new things sounds like some kind of "Metal Ricky Martin" like someone else in the forum said... ;) :D :D :D ).

Opsss.. Hopkins, I think you took me for someone else! :D
Daylight Dies... mmm... it's for sure the band of someone in the forum... but I don't remember who's... I'm going to search Who' who topic!

Sounds killer and it also sounds like you had a big change of style from the first record to the second,for how long have the album been finished and when did you send it out to the record labels?

Finished recording in March, then we've been in a "forced suspended animation" for a couple of months... talked with our manager two weeks ago and he is starting the "dirty work" right in these days... so we're just at the beginning of the process!

To Nitronium:
You are the number 1! :D
...and we're not "Ricky Martin metal esque "!!!!!
:yell: :yell: :yell: :D :D
At least... not so much! :tickled: