Anyone other than me like classical music?

I'm not really into it consistently.
I respect it and respect it for what it was and what it's lead to, but I wouldn't choose to listen to it most of the time.
Although it is nice and called for in certain situations.

As much as I like Shostakovich I think Mozart destroys him. But hey to each his own.
Oddly Mozart is probably my overall favorite composer but the only composer of the 'classical' era that I really enjoy. Everyone else is pretty boring, writing pleasant tunes to formula music. Mozart is the one who infused this style with real humanity.

yeh, to each is own. it's all subjective.
Most Mozart's music to me sounds too happy and catchy which it's not really my thing. He has his moments of course, i absolutely love his requiem and a couple of other works.
I'm not really into the Classical era, Love Beethoven but later he started winking at romanticism and his music was very emotional.

About Narziss "theory", it's just subjective and pretentious, there's modern "classical" music there is much more demanding intelectually than the classical era genre.

And i'm sure Beethoven certainly would not agree with that "theory".

a quote from Mr. Ludwig
*Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears form the eyes of woman. *

It is your opinion. In truth Classical music was a REACTION to the baroque era which emphasized very complex forms and was very cereberal in nature. Classical music was inteneded to be lighter and have a stronger emphasis on melody and simplicity. I.E. it wasn't about expanding one's cognitive capacity.... it was about simplifying music so that it wouldn't be all brains and no heart.
Secondly virtually the entire musically literate world agrees with the categorizations of who is and who is not in the classical era that I gave. I did in fact learn a few things from 4 semesters of Music History.

Dear Thoth-Amon,

You have not yet discovered how to discriminate between opinion and knowledge. Further discussion is futile, thus. I recommend the following primer into understanding the nature of principle:

Believing Is Not Necessarily Knowing

Merry Christmas!

Narziss, rc

Dear Thoth-Amon,

You have not yet discovered how to discriminate between opinion and knowledge. Further discussion is futile, thus. I recommend the following primer into understanding the nature of principle:

Believing Is Not Necessarily Knowing

Merry Christmas!

Narziss, rc

K thx. I do understad the difference between believing and knowing. The problem is you don't have any concrete proof that your theory is true. Thus you are the one believing.

yeh, to each is own. it's all subjective.
Most Mozart's music to me sounds too happy and catchy which it's not really my thing. He has his moments of course, i absolutely love his requiem and a couple of other works.
I'm not really into the Classical era, Love Beethoven but later he started winking at romanticism and his music was very emotional.

About Narziss "theory", it's just subjective and pretentious, there's modern "classical" music there is much more demanding intelectually than the classical era genre.

And i'm sure Beethoven certainly would not agree with that "theory".

a quote from Mr. Ludwig
*Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears form the eyes of woman. *

Depends upon which Mozarts works we are talking about. If you want some darker more emotional works I would recommend.... the Kyrie from the C Minor Mass, the 20th Piano Concerto, the Commendatore Scene from Don Giovanni, the 25th Symphony, the Adagio from the 23rd Piano Concerto, etc.
Yes Narziss' theory is purely subjective and pretentious. You are correct in stating that much 20th century music is more intellectually demanding than the Classical era, yet that doesn't make it inherently superior to classical and vice versa.

Depends upon which Mozarts works we are talking about. If you want some darker more emotional works I would recommend.... the Kyrie from the C Minor Mass, the 20th Piano Concerto, the Commendatore Scene from Don Giovanni, the 25th Symphony, the Adagio from the 23rd Piano Concerto, etc.
Yes Narziss' theory is purely subjective and pretentious. You are correct in stating that much 20th century music is more intellectually demanding than the Classical era, yet that doesn't make it inherently superior to classical and vice versa.
i didn't say it's superior.
Very often less is more.
Arvo Pärt for instance:cool: