Anyone recorded a Dimebucker pickup?

Kellii

Nov 24, 2010
Livingston, Scotland. UK
So I recently put a dimebucker in my FR320 to try it out. It seems to have the most piercing high end I've heard from a pickup (gets painful at times)but has more stable low end and less mud than the original FR pickup.

Here's a wee clip(Updated Clip)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/epki4bb2argvvto/Simple Metalcore Riff 4.mp3?dl=0

Any of you had experience recording a dimebucker? And have you managed to get a good usable sound?

Yep, I absolutely love my dimebucker equipped guitar, it's my go-to for recording alongside my Jackson Kelly professional with some pickup I can't identify for the fucking life of me in it...

Does tend to need a sizeable low pass on it though, lots of fizz and like you said, piercing high end off the Dimebucker. Such a tight low end though....

I Quite like the low end, I need to get more of it to shine through in my guitars.Shame about all the high's, they make it hard to work with. I find it sounds better with scooped tones , adding mid's muddies it up.

Had a look on the internet and it doesn't seem to be too popular because of the high end. Found it hard to find any commercial recordings that use a dimebucker. Apparently Dimebag never used it he just helped design it.

I have one and hated it until I flipped it around. I read that he flipped his original pickups, and had the Dimebuckers made with that flip. Much less brittle in the highs.

Love that dimebucker but often ran into the same problems as you. Today I use the blackout ahb-3 emty pickup which is everything I wanted my dime bucker to be. I'd recommend it seeing how your asking the same questions I was asking back than haha.

I might invest in a set of blackouts in the future. I'm currently building a Les paul style guitar that I plan on putting EMG's in. It may become my go to recording guitar. Another Pickup I have lying about in an old guitar is a Seymour Duncan Invader pickup that I might switch too at some point.

Any opinions on the Invader in a Mahogany guitar body?

If you have a trem spaced id recommend the synyster gates version of the invader. For some reason it has a bit more high end than the regular spaced version of the invader and sounds great in mahogany.

Great I may give the invader a go soon. It isn't the Gates version unfortunately but I'm sure he used to use the original version.

Update the dimebucker test clip by the way.