Anyone Still Fans Of Queensryche

The main riff to "I Don't Believe In Love" makes frequent appearances on my mental jukebox, still to this day. Such a fucking brilliant album. Nothing else they have created comes close to touching O:M

Rage For Order and Empire come pretty fucking close! :saint:

For myself, I'd also add Promised Land, but its more of an acquired taste. But yeah, Mindcrime is just a monster of a record. Musically, it's not really better than Rage or Empire, but because of the impressive lyrics and how it runs together as a story is what makes it such a masterwork.

I too think the "doesnt come close" is a bit overstated, astonishing recording that OMC is.

A fair amount of people are still partial to The Warning... I might be one of them.

Overall - as over played and domestically appealing I think Empire was their pinical, sound production quality, tone, every last note was right, all that was needed nothing more. They applied less was more often, the maturity of it, Tates voice was full and rich yet still youthful pipes, his expression and phrasing even better than prior, drum tracks are killer.

I connected with the lyrics and moods of the songs immeadiately at that time. First time I heard him sing... Dont slam the door... our your way out ... I was stunned and then the following lines and phrases kicked the first two phrases butt, building and building, musical excellence !

Title track is classic Ryche metal, in your face politically charged, love that song.

I connected with the lyrics and moods of the songs immeadiately at that time. First time I heard him sing... Dont slam the door... our your way out ... I was stunned and then the following lines and phrases kicked the first two phrases butt, building and building, musical excellence !

I concur. I always use that album is my gold standard for production and why I use either Barton or Nordstrom as my benchmark for how records sound. And Tate's phrasing has always been incredible and reminds me a lot of Sinatra. Different styles, but both are so unique in their phrasing.

I bought their 5.1 mix of Empire at a pawn shop and I went to put it into my Home theater a few weeks ago, only to find the DVD player busted.

So now I've gotta buy a new receiver. Shit. I've heard the 5.1 mix is amazing for this record. I also wanna try the 5.1 for the black album. Typically for music I can't stand 5.1 because IMO it sounds thinner than stereo (for metal anyways, a symphony or something with a ton of instruments or a movie is a different animal).

I too think the "doesnt come close" is a bit overstated, astonishing recording that OMC is.

A fair amount of people are still partial to The Warning... I might be one of them.

The Warning has some cool tunes and I always liked the atmosphere on that album. Roads to Madness is still a favorite song of mine.

Regardless, I see O:M as the pinnacle of their career, hence where the "doesn't come close" came from. Perhaps that is overstated :)

thanks for spelling pinnacle right... lol. I have serious brainfarts when it comes to spelling

I'll figure you said it as a compliment, it is one awesome recording and concept. But there is alot of other great Queensryche material out there. I put Child of Fire and We Will Remember right up there with Road to Madness.

thanks for spelling pinnacle right... lol. I have serious brainfarts when it comes to spelling

I'll figure you said it as a compliment, it is one awesome recording and concept. But there is alot of other great Queensryche material out there. I put Child of Fire and We Will Remember right up there with Road to Madness.

Of course I said it as a compliment! I have nothing but good things to say about QR. The Warning was one of the first metal albums I really paid attention to. I had never heard anyone sing like Geoff Tate, and the music was kinda dark and cheesy, just my cup-o-tea at the time :cool:. Empire actually helped get me through a pretty rough time in my life back in '91...

Another often overlooked QR classic is "The Lady Wore Black". Awesome tune.

Oh, and I agree that Child of Fire is top-notch! :kickass:

Well I kind of lost the 80's hair band thing when I realized they were all a bunch of wankers. Fuck I was 13 when I loved the 80's bands. Queensryche was great I saw them play in Edmonton, Canada when I was 16 or so. The singer did the whole basketball dunk thing like from the video for empire, and well lets just say that was the end of CHEESE for me.:Smug:

Well I kind of lost the 80's hair band thing when I realized they were all a bunch of wankers. Fuck I was 13 when I loved the 80's bands. Queensryche was great I saw them play in Edmonton, Canada when I was 16 or so. The singer did the whole basketball dunk thing like from the video for empire, and well lets just say that was the end of CHEESE for me.:Smug:

since when was queensryche a hair band? they've been called prog metal since day 1

Hair Band:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glam_metal

"Glam metal (also known as hair metal[1]) is a subgenre of heavy metal that arose in the late 1970s and early 1980s in the United States, particularly on the Los Angeles Sunset Strip music scene. It was popular throughout the 1980s and briefly in the early 1990s, combining the flamboyant look of glam rock and playing a power-chord based hard rock musical style.

"Hair bands" was the derogatory term popularized by MTV in the 1990s and derives from the tendency among such bands to have styled their long hair in a backcombing fashion."

Queensryche had a bit of the looks of a "Hair band" when they released "Rage For Order" but their music was not glam. They were always a progressive metal band.

boy... where do these people come from... or where does their ego come from

so often its like people know nothing about music but flap their lips as if they do

well I feel soooo intimidated by such a highly challanged testosterone level

arrr... rarrr... rarrr... screamo

scuz me while I go slam my head off a block wall so I too can be bad-assed and wake up with the history of music all twisted up

If they had released their last 5 albums first, no one would remember their name by now.
It is hard to think of a band that has plummeted so hard as Queensryche. When you sit down and listen to their earlier work, it’s thoroughly depressing to consider what the band would become. I just don’t understand why a band would consciously move from being the top of the pile, producing such first class, challenging, and progressive metal towards the bland, b-grade filler of their last 15 years.
I gave up on them post Empire only to give them a 2nd chance with OM2. Poor production and bland guitar aside, I thought it had a number of good songs on it. But American Soldier has sealed the deal for me. Horrible. What are they trying to be?
Unfortunaley, nowdays I put on the first 5 albums and pretend the next 15 years never happened.
FWIW, Hittman’s self-titled 1989 debut is classic Warning-era imitation. Hunt it down – seriously. Its very good. Also try Lethal’s Programmed (1990) album . Superb early styled Ryche imitations.

Truth be told, I wasn't all that impressed with Hittman. Not bad, but they're one of a number of QR clones that just didn't have "it". Zion's Abyss is another. Both singers tried to be Tate, but Tate is one of a few elite singers with that kind of power in their falsetto. Lethal's Programmed is a great album. Recon, Sacred Warrior and Siam all did damn fine Queensryche imitations - and the latter band's album Prayer just may be my favorite album ever. Tony Mills comes pretty damn close in terms of Geoff Tate sound-a-likes. Try the song New Age Warning or The Search:

Siam's Music Player

And here's Tony sounding A LOT like Geoff Tate

I guess Queensryche's "Fall" is a matter of personal taste. I think Promised Land is among their finest work, but it's not a heavy album. But the guitar work and intricate melodies are present throughout.

I absolutely love Tribe but it's not for everyone. I didn't mind OM2 and I thoroughly enjoyed American Soldier (with the exception of a few songs). To each his own I suppose.

Listen to the second song in this video (starts around 4:08) A ballad that reminds me a lot of ryche, especially when the drums and bass kick in:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1lC30QIk08&feature=related[/ame]

And the opening scream of this song just screams Geoff Tate:

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to Operation: Mindcrime and their greatest hits but haven't been hooked to the band. I don't really enjoy progressive metal.

While I can appreaciate and enjoy some of the later material seems you gotta admit something went astray. They had a good run, most bands dry up after 3-4 recordings so I guess you cant expect much. Just keeping together for 10 years appears to be a challange for most. If anything they would need to find new breath in a more aggressive guitar player but seem to want to move in the other direction.

Umm no...the term "progressive" wasn't even used together with metal at that timeframe.

The first time I heard those terms put together was in relation to Fates Warning...and then QR.

Just for the sake of conversation the first time I saw (or recall) a band dimmed progressive metal was on Helloween KOSTK-2, it was on the label stuck to the cover of the vinyl I bought (damn I wish still has it to take a pic).

I think nobody was seriously into the tag neurosis until Dream Theater hitted notoriously and then everybody was doing revisionism all the way back to Rush :rolleyes:

Just for the sake of conversation the first time I saw (or recall) a band dimmed progressive metal was on Helloween KOSTK-2, it was on the label stuck to the cover of the vinyl I bought (damn I wish still has it to take a pic).

I think nobody was seriously into the tag neurosis until Dream Theater hitted notoriously and then everybody was doing revisionism all the way back to Rush :rolleyes:

Thats a good point, it was Dream Theater that kicked the bucket over. But I didnt need to do any revisionism, I had already been there, waiting and waiting, twas like a dream come true.

I only recall people calling stuff like Keeper and OMC concept albums. Im not even sure if Helloween was called "power metal" at that time ? Word and terms spred slower though.