Arcane calls it quits

MelbCro

Feb 25, 2011
From their Facebook page:

ANNOUNCEMENT: END OF AN ERA

It is with sad but hopeful hearts that we must announce that Arcane, our beautiful baby, our first and foremost project, must come to an end. For the founding members that remain, it has been a long, arduous, and rewarding 10 year musical journey. With our lives growing ever more complicated and ever more full of new and different music, all of us have decided to most amicably part ways in order to continue our work on our many other projects.

We ...are all immensely proud of what we’ve achieved in “Known/Learned”. This album is a beautiful and melancholy summing up of our time with this project, and it is our hope that it is the album by which our decade of work is measured.

We are all still dear friends, and we will absolutely not rule out coming back together years from now to create more Arcane music when the time is right - but sadly now is not that time.

As individuals, between us we are involved in Caligula's Horse, hazards of swimming naked, Echotide, agrammeofsoma and Polaroid Bag, all of which should have new material surfacing over the next year, so there will be plenty of music to enjoy from the minds, hands, and happy accidents that brought you Arcane.

We thank you all. You, our wonderful friends and fans. Our family. We thank you for your undying support and love for what we have done over this last decade.

This is not goodbye - but until next time…

Love and thanks from all of us who have spent time as Arcane:

Jim Grey, Michael Gagen, Matt Martin, Blake Coulson, Adrian Goleby, Stephen Walsh, Brendon Blanchard, and Mick Millard

Well after dropping that monster two disc this seems quite unexpected from the outside.

Better to go out on top, as they say, right?

Devastated. Known/learned is my favorite album of 2015. Also, their previous album topped my list as well. I had always hoped that they would make it to Center Stage.

Apparently, it was going to happen ..................

"I found out by reading their post on Facebook.
I wasn't surprised to be honest. Jim Grey's priority is Caligula's Horse. Glenn wanted to have Arcane at PP. in fact we talked about them doing a Saturday unplugged set as a bonus. The band wouldn't even discuss it with me. The writing was on the wall."

One of the better new bands in Prog Metal ..... so sad to see them go.

One of the better new bands in Prog Metal ..... so sad to see them go.

Bit of a stretch to call Arcane new, they've released 3 albums. Their debut Ashes came out in 2007

While I'm sad, I'm not surprised. Arcane used to be back in the day a full fledged band, it was Jim's main band. Caligula's Horse was his side project, a lot of people seem to think it was the other way around. Not true. But then CH had success and Arcane slowly became inactive, to the point where I was surprised an album like Known/Learned was even released. At this point they were very much just a recording band and not much else.