Are humans inherently evil?

Well you mentioned dogs and that is something I have a fair amount of experience with. I have observed some interesting behavior. They have a fairly respectable form of governmental structure, method of teaching, laws and regulations, all quite interesting. They can be rough too, yet the only form of abuse exists over breeding rites. Their loyality is astounding and not just of man. I have even seen sadness during another dogs last days.

You believe we got where we are due to religion and I hope to hell we would have gotten here without it, especially considering that I believe during the past 100 years or so, most religious types in the western world are mostly wishful posers, primarily living outside a life of "faith" and in these past 100 years {give or take} is when we have seen the most advancements in mankinds compassion toward others. In fact I believe history would show little compassion in terms of say the Church in passed centuries. Seems to have been more disciplinary than thoughtful of others.

Just two of my primitive beasts in their prime youth, both males, both still alive.

sparkyandlucanja4.jpg

Very good. However, it also serves as basically a guide book for how to conduct one's life; a list of moral guidelines. Without religion, without spirituality, what purpose would mankind have of morals and virtues, except that acting in such a way would serve an individual better in the long run? I'm saying that acting out of the pure belief that something is inherently "wrong" stems from an idea that there is a universal order that threatens punishment if broken.

without religion, self-preservation would supercede everything else and humans would eventually evolve into what Neitzche called the "ubermensch"

I certainly don't buy that as a response. I still think that morality stemmed from the tribal community, by the fact that in order to survive and prosper that they needed to be civil and act in certain ways that would benefit them. You don't need that religious mysticism to have that. The usefulness of the stories is only to show the cause and effect of ones actions. I think a much better explanation for religion having a start is that the stories describe the follies of man through some sort of similar situation between real people, embellished with supernatural for the entertainment aspects and told to younger generations. It takes no religion to understand that if you help your tribe hunt for food, you'll get a portion of it. Or if you help them farm their land, they will help you farm yours. So to kill one of your tribe is useless unless that member is not reciprocating, undermining others generosity, or has a lust for killing other members of their tribe. the same goes for stealing.

The real problem came from religion to start with. Those with hidden knowledge gained power, by predicting things like eclipses and then as the naive and ignorant are exploited they begin to see divinity in the person who then claims divinity in one form or another. It is through this that the rule of kings and pharaoh's came to be. Religion then became a means to control the people with controlling their beliefs. Then those whom claim divine power can create the rule for the masses, while violating them themselves, gain even more of an advantage.

So in reality, religion corrupts morality, by interjecting nonsensical superstitions into the equation. That is because the powerful, whom tend to become corrupt, create moral laws based on their own ideals, and the best way to control the masses.

I will post more later, I'd like to hear your response to this.

according to Neitzche, pure altruism is the purest form of psychosis
altruism in its non-pure form is pretty much bribery
you are nice to others with the expectation that they will be nice to you in responce
when you purchase something at a store (instead of stealing it) you're not buying it instead of stealing it because you want the store to have your money, you're buying it instead of stealing it because there's punishment for theft and you want the thing bad enough to pay for it
the guy behind the counter doesn't really want you to have the the thing you want to have, he wants you to buy stuff instead of stealing stuff because he wants your money
so the transaction is basically bribery, "i'll give you money in exchange for _________" fill in the blank

Certainly, mankind would never have figured out that an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth would leave everyone blind and hungry if not for fear of punishment from "The Lord". We would still be living in barbaric tribes, raiding, raping and pillaging other villages, if not for fear of "The Lord". Buddists fucked that all up though but anyhow thank goodness Christians had "The Lord" to do all their thinking for them.

so with out christianity, we'd all be acting like the followers of Nietzche that consider his works to be a blueprint for a "better" society

but the way that they learn what is in the best interests of themselves, is in part through the tribal morality. In a lot of situations moral actions can be seen to be those that just 'makes sense' in the long run.

change the word "tribal" into "pack" "flock" "herd" etc etc and this sentence explains why animals act different than humans

They aren't doing it out of the "goodness" of their own hearts.

according to Nietzche, doing "good" that's out of "the goodness of your heart" is a form of psychosis
and we're back to the part where i say "yes, humans really are inheirantly evil"

It's only in modern times that we're beginning to try and fit them into our conceptions of wrong and right without the influence of religion.

this is because in the past humans were stupid in these "modern times" (your term) "we've now become inteligent enough to realize that Christianity is bullshit" (Bill Maher's words)

The difference is, today we spend all sorts of time trying to excuse and validate ill actions towards others for personal self gain. A result of twisted laws and loss of true natural selection.

true natural selection doesn't really happen untill you have the pre-parenthood killing (or sterilizing) of those that shouldn't breed,
ie the slowest zebra doesn't become old enough to breed because he's been eaten by a crocodile, that kind of thing hasn't really happened to humans in a long time (if ever)

Not in the sense we're speaking of in this thread. The question is "Are humans inherently evil?" This raises the possibility of there being inherent moral regulations that all humans are "supposed" to abide by. Doing something for the sake of benefitting yourself is not morality in this sense, because there's no inherent quality in that; there's no universal standard. These "morals" can change from day to day.

Ok - if you refine your point to be that moral absolutism is largely religiously based, I've got no problem :)
When you say just 'morality' though, that's a little broad, as it seems we've agreed.

change the word "tribal" into "pack" "flock" "herd" etc etc and this sentence explains why animals act different than humans

I think there might be more to animals acting different than that ;) But if your point was that it's not limited only to tribes then yes, of course.

I think there might be more to animals acting different than that ;) But if your point was that it's not limited only to tribes then yes, of course.

just pointing out what i saw
that sentence kinda looked like he was talking about animals instead of people

Well you mentioned dogs and that is something I have a fair amount of experience with. I have observed some interesting behavior. They have a fairly respectable form of governmental structure, method of teaching, laws and regulations, all quite interesting. They can be rough too, yet the only form of abuse exists over breeding rites. Their loyality is astounding and not just of man. I have even seen sadness during another dogs last days.

You've seen instincts and conditioning. You haven't seen any kind of inherent moral system within the animals. They don't have the mental capacity to conceive of right and wrong. All they know is what they will likely be punished for.

without religion, self-preservation would supercede everything else and humans would eventually evolve into what Neitzche called the "ubermensch"

Are you on a Nietschze tangent tonight? And what is the purpose of this post? Do you think that humans evolving into the "ubermensch" is a bad thing?

Ok - if you refine your point to be that moral absolutism is largely religiously based, I've got no problem :)
When you say just 'morality' though, that's a little broad, as it seems we've agreed.

I think we are in general agreement. Sorry for the misunderstandings. I am speaking of moral absolutism, so I guess that works. I think the only difference is that I only view morals as "absolute." Anything that can possibly change isn't morality, in my definition.

This isn't morality. This is acting in the best interest of oneself. You're outlining it perfectly. The only reason tribal members act this way is because they know they won't be treated equally if they act differently (in a negative manner). They aren't doing it out of the "goodness" of their own hearts.

Objective morality is incapable of proving. It requires blind faith in what you're doing is correct. Tribal members act in the same way that dogs do (not to degrade them to animals, but this is the truth); they know that if they don't adhere to the laws/customs of the village, they will be treated poorly. Members of a tribe aren't born inherently knowing how to behave within the community. They're conditioned to behave in such a way by their elders.

So where is this "goodness" located other then in the logical faculties of the mind, and the emotions created from them. When helping people, and doing the 'right', 'correct' or morally right thing and you have a good feeling is reliant on the conditioning of that individual. So can humans be inherently good or evil? Not by definition, since being born is a blank state where learning begins. Most humans learn to associate the goodness feeling, to making others feel the same good, by the psychological empathy(ie being able to imagine themselves in a similar situation or even based off of real life situations). Doing the wrong things morally are also learned, and associated with the negative feeling, the one that is known as 'feeling bad'(which is different even if slightly in all humans).

Little kids, and babies, have no concept of mortal sin, that stealing will have dire consequences of eternal damnation or that lying is bad or wrong until their parental figure tells them so. At the same time there is a pragmatism to the way children work. The means that gets them their ends is the one that is most likely employed. Even studies of feral children in the wild is enough to prove that it is learned behavior of morality and it is not inherent.

Taboo is another interesting part of morality. When something is bad, there lies a feeling that taboo gives you that can also make you feel good. So when stealing may be wrong to most people, because they think about how they'd feel if it was them who was being robbed, when the association with the rush and good feeling of stealing becomes a motivation for that good feeling, they can by-pass their more rational thinking for the reward of that pleasure. It is also the same way fetishes are born. It is the whole, good feeling, for a specific stimulus and the associations built into the brain.

It seems that the way people are programmed(society and experiences with their internal representations) to act are two basic ways. They are either toward to- or they are away from-. Some peoples processes are motivated as towards to- success, toward to- feeling good. While others are away from- failing, away from- feeling bad. These emotional and logical motivators are never completely set in stone. A great example is religious dogma. Some christians are away from- hell while others are more towards-heaven. These differences in humans can be the difference say from one person asking you if you have heard of Jesus because they are toward to- heaven/virtue and you being there and others who are away from-hell/sin and are concern about you burning in hell and calling you a sinner.

This may help you to understand at least why I think this way. Based on the evidences of how people act and what is motivating them. This is where my problem with religion comes in. Because religion can take someone who already functions fine with the real world, and then imposes all these things to feel bad about, or good about, without any real evidence of why, other then people claiming a book says so or that the prophet of god says so.

To explain the last point further, the metaphor "The map is not the territory" is like this. Your own personal map, being that which you have learned and the knowledge you posses from your experiences(external and internal) is not the same as the real world is represented. When a foreign map of morality is then set in front of that person, there then becomes a conflict. Your map says X where the other map says Z. Very often when small children are impressionable they can be taught and often incorporate this other map as their own, changing how they experience the world around them. It is well known, that humans distort, delete and generalize in communication, and more often then not, it reflects what they do internally to represent that to themselves. Religious types tend to distort, delete, and generalize to very extreme levels. That is why it becomes so frustrating when talking to one about things of proven science to their impoverished maps of the world. Young earth creationists have distorted their map so much that look for evidence that what they believe is reality. Then delete anything that proves that what they believe is false, and they tend to generalize the type of people who do not agree with them as something negative compared to others who agree with them.

uhh im so tired right now, more later

This is a complete misunderstanding of Nietzsche, as far as I understand him. He was no proponent of simple survival as being equated with 'best' or even 'good'.

You've seen instincts and conditioning. You haven't seen any kind of inherent moral system within the animals. They don't have the mental capacity to conceive of right and wrong. All they know is what they will likely be punished for

What, now your a dog expert ? Did you even comprehend what I was talking about ? I was not once refering to their behavior toward humans, I was refering to the function as a pack, amounst themselves. Conditioning ? Did you even notice that they were Malamutes... the most primitive breed of dog. Dont tell me what I have seen, I am not stupid and have 3 decades exposure to various packs of these dogs.

They don't have the mental capacity to conceive of right and wrong.

Does this mean you are saying humans do ? Or that humans do now because religion told them so ? :rolleyes:

What, now your a dog expert ? Did you even comprehend what I was talking about ? I was not once refering to their behavior toward humans, I was refering to the function as a pack, amounst themselves. Conditioning ? Did you even notice that they were Malamutes... the most primitive breed of dog. Dont tell me what I have seen, I am not stupid and have 3 decades exposure to various packs of these dogs.

Okay.

Does this mean you are saying humans do ? Or that humans do now because religion told them so ? :rolleyes:

Yes, humans have the capacity to conceive of right and wrong. Considering the fact that we are always debating over what's "wrong" and "right" it seems pretty obvious that we have the ability.

Animals, however (or most, at least) do not have that ability. All they have are basic instincts upon which to act. They don't understand the implications of something being inherently "wrong" or "right." They just understand the consequences if they act a certain way.

edited by Blowtus: seemingly offensive opinions are not a problem here, posting with no reasoning or relation to thread content is.

Partially yes but there are things that pretty much everyone will agree are evil.