are you a METAL parent?

Abryl said:
I'm taught my two year old niece to give the horns too :D I don't have any kids, but I can say my parents are somehow responsible for me liking metal, they got me into rock and I picked it up from there :)

Ditto! My mother is amusic lover herself ... if it wasnt for her Rocking ol JonnyD wouldnt be Banging! :D

Cool! My parents have a pretty decent music collection! My dad is a huge Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull fan and my mom is obsessed with Kansas :) They both like a bit of metal too, like Maiden, Metallica, Strato and of course Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, my mom even told me once she liked Iced Earth!

Abryl said:
Cool! My parents have a pretty decent music collection! My dad is a huge Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull fan and my mom is obsessed with Kansas :) They both like a bit of metal too, like Maiden, Metallica, Strato and of course Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, my mom even told me once she liked Iced Earth!
They have good taste! I am pretty much obsessed with Kansas too :) Steve Walsh is one hell of a singer, but who am I telling this ? ;)

Abryl said:
:D My mother listens to Everything from Tull and Floyd to Manowar and Hammerfall ...She Loves Savatage and Joe Satriani and I just got her Into John Arch hahahahaha she likes to tell me about the good ol days when she would be Listening to Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath and everybody thought she was crazy! .... I have Tried to get her into Iced Earth hahaha No luck yet But the Glorous Burden came close! hahaha Thats great! hahaha I'm Glad your Rents are cool too!

dad listened to zepellin and queen, never any metal though.

I was thinking all this time of having or not having kids any although I dont even have a girlfriend and I am just 21. Just yesterday I put the pros and cons and decided notn to (early on) mainly because of dealing with all types of crap and if they are finally happy, they will get sad because it will someday come to an end. Not to mention all the other crap , -let me put A STOP to my bitching, sorry, dont want to discourage anyone, it was just a revelation I got yesterday. I'm just guessing you can only THRASH TILL DEATH! and it is the shit! when you can, but, you know... just my thoughts on the subject in my case

congrats to all the metal parents!! :headbang: there are pros to parenthood and life no doubt.

Hey congrats to all the metal parents!, your sons and daughters are lucky to be born into the metal world. And my last post just regaded my ideas about the subject.

best wishes for the family men, and women.

Hawk said:
They have good taste! I am pretty much obsessed with Kansas too :) Steve Walsh is one hell of a singer, but who am I telling this ? ;)

Yeah I can't complain really. I mean they don't have me and my brother listening to Tony Bennett or something ;) Walsh does kick ass. We saw them in Mexico City in 2002 they were AWESOME!... Belexes :headbang:

JonnyD said:
:D My mother listens to Everything from Tull and Floyd to Manowar and Hammerfall ...She Loves Savatage and Joe Satriani and I just got her Into John Arch hahahahaha she likes to tell me about the good ol days when she would be Listening to Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath and everybody thought she was crazy! .... I have Tried to get her into Iced Earth hahaha No luck yet But the Glorous Burden came close! hahaha Thats great! hahaha I'm Glad your Rents are cool too!

hehehe your mom seems pretty cool! Savatage are great :cool: hmmm but the Glorious Burden sucks, maybe you should try Dark Saga or Something Wicked! :D

The saYer said:
dad listened to zepellin and queen, never any metal though.

I was thinking all this time of having or not having kids any although I dont even have a girlfriend and I am just 21. Just yesterday I put the pros and cons and decided notn to (early on) mainly because of dealing with all types of crap and if they are finally happy, they will get sad because it will someday come to an end. Not to mention all the other crap , -let me put A STOP to my bitching, sorry, dont want to discourage anyone, it was just a revelation I got yesterday. I'm just guessing you can only THRASH TILL DEATH! and it is the shit! when you can, but, you know... just my thoughts on the subject in my case

congrats to all the metal parents!! :headbang: there are pros to parenthood and life no doubt.
Actually that was one of the considerations I had to make. I have a really tough childhood. And decided to try and enjoy my life when I got the chance. So now We are both working hard and enjoying it and taking hollidays to the US and China and we like lot. Also we can go to gigs and festivals as much as we like. I am a headbanger for life! I doubt I could have done that when we had kids. Some people tell us that is selfish. And I agree :) For me personally the point of being alive is to enjoy it as much as you can, within reason of course.

And I still can enjoy being around kids every day at school. Seems to me the best of boths worlds! :cool:

Abryl said:
Yeah I can't complain really. I mean they don't have me and my brother listening to Tony Bennett or something ;) Walsh does kick ass. We saw them in Mexico City in 2002 they were AWESOME!... Belexes :headbang:

hehehe your mom seems pretty cool! Savatage are great :cool: hmmm but the Glorious Burden sucks, maybe you should try Dark Saga or Something Wicked! :D

hahahahhaha She doesnt like Barlow I already tried those records hahahaha ...tho Personally I like Burden better Ripper has way more Balls than Barlow! :D

JonnyD said:
Ripper has way more Balls than Barlow! :D
Really? Do you mean that? You really think Owens has a more powerfull *mid range* than Barlow? I might be your opinion but I have to disagree there buddy. I heard few singers with a more powerfull mid range reach than Barlow and Tim Owens is not one of them IMHO.

The most powerfull range in a human voice is his or hers mid range. Sure, Tim goes way higher, but when you scream high notes the sound of your voice becomes thinner. There are ways to compensate that, but that is not the issue.

The point is that when you compare Barlows mid range to Owens, Barlow will sound more powerfull. There a but few singers that can sing really high notes that also have a strong mid range. Compare high-note singers like Halford and Owens with Barlow, Dio and Jorn Lande. I would say that there's no question who of those have a more powerfull mid -range.

Of course having a strong mid-range is not the all and all of metal vocals. And I am very glad it is not. But when it comes to pure unadulterated POWER those who have a strong mid-range will win every time.

BTW I don't think the Glorious Burden "sucks" as Abryl states. You know it would help Abryl is you tried to argue your point instead of claiming "this or that band sucks" Its hard to take an statement like that seriously without any form of argumentation to back it up. Just a friendly hint. No offence meant ;)

Hawk said:
Really? Do you mean that? You really think Owens has a more powerfull *mid range* than Barlow? I might be your opinion but I have to disagree there buddy. I heard few singers with a more powerfull mid range reach than Barlow and Tim Owens is not one of them IMHO.

The most powerfull range in a human voice is his or hers mid range. Sure, Tim goes way higher, but when you scream high notes the sound of your voice becomes thinner. There are ways to compensate that, but that is not the issue.

The point is that when you compare Barlows mid range to Owens, Barlow will sound more powerfull. There a but few singers that can sing really high notes that also have a strong mid range. Compare high-note singers like Halford and Owens with Barlow, Dio and Jorn Lande. I would say that there's no question who of those have a more powerfull mid -range.
I agree that Barlow has a stronger mid-range, though Ripper has much more diversity in his vocal lines and his range is much wider.
Don't get me wrong I really liked Barlow and more particularly the way he expressed emotions, but he was a bit limited in his vocal lines after a while. Well as usual it's only a matter of tastes in the end.

By the way I think that Halford has a powerful mid-range for a "screamer", I see what you mean concerning the high pitch vocalists though. Iced Earth need a vocalist with balls, that's for sure.

Hawk said:

Of course having a strong mid-range is not the all and all of metal vocals. And I am very glad it is not. But when it comes to pure unadulterated POWER those who have a strong mid-range will win every time.

BTW I don't think the Glorious Burden "sucks" as Abryl states. You know it would help Abryl is you tried to argue your point instead of claiming "this or that band sucks" Its hard to take an statement like that seriously without any form of argumentation to back it up. Just a friendly hint. No offence meant ;)
WOW buddy hahaha its taken me 4 hours to even think of the best way of responding to this hahahaha Ok I was never a big Barlow fan I always like the guy that did Stormrider Better and Technically Speaking you prolly right that Barlow is a better more powerful singer and what not but at the end of the Day I just dont care for his voice that much hahahaha I just Like Ripper Better hahahaha Maybe the term "Balls" was incorrect :D

I definitely like Barlow's voice way better than Owens'. I never had the chance to see Iced Earth live with Matt except for a couple of bootlegs and it seemed to me that he had great stage presence and was just a really good frontman, not to mention his, in my opinion, awesome voice. I saw Iced Earth with Owens in May and overall I think it was a cool show, but Tim didn't seem to have "enough stage presence" and sometimes his voice lacked emotion, like on Melancholy. He sounded good on My Own Savior, Violate and Burning Times tho.

As far as TGB goes, well I was looking forward to that album and it dissappointed me so much :( I like some songs but to me it just sounds weak, considering what IE have been able to do before. I hope this explains it a bit more ;) :p

Fangface said:
...I really liked Barlow and more particularly the way he expressed emotions, but he was a bit limited in his vocal lines after a while.
....Iced Earth need a vocalist with balls, that's for sure.
Great post Fang, I have been trying to tell people this all along.
Get this, I ripped a copy for one of my co-workers. He works at the regional jail, I guess he really loves the record & keeps it at his desk there at the jail. He plays it when he gets the chance, he told me the other day that "it's one of the guard's favorite disc." Two of them are buying it...

sixxswine said:
Great post Fang, I have been trying to tell people this all along.
Get this, I ripped a copy for one of my co-workers. He works at the regional jail, I guess he really loves the record & keeps it at his desk there at the jail. He plays it when he gets the chance, he told me the other day that "it's one of the guard's favorite disc." Two of them are buying it...
I have an online buddy I have known for years and years and I was on suicide watch for him when Barlow left Iced earth (well not really) but he was a huge Barlow fan. I never cared for his voice that much, but hey I like Udo so what do I know ?

Bryant

JonnyD said:
WOW buddy hahaha its taken me 4 hours to even think of the best way of responding to this hahahaha Ok I was never a big Barlow fan I always like the guy that did Stormrider Better and Technically Speaking you prolly right that Barlow is a better more powerful singer and what not but at the end of the Day I just dont care for his voice that much hahahaha I just Like Ripper Better hahahaha Maybe the term "Balls" was incorrect :D
Ha ha thats ok Jonny! :) I was just trying to make a technical point :tickled: In the end however it does not mean shit! I mean It's all about preferences right? I would not try to touch that subject with a ten foot pole :lol: OTOH... maybe one day I will who knows?

What probably was not clear in my post is that I always liked the singer with a big reach way better.

Fangface said:
I agree that Barlow has a stronger mid-range, though Ripper has much more diversity in his vocal lines and his range is much wider.
I agree, that exactly what I told all those Dio whorshippers in the early 80s who told me Dio was the greatest simger on the planet. I alway's liked Halford better. They always started to laugh when I told them that. :Smug:

Fangface said:
Don't get me wrong I really liked Barlow and more particularly the way he expressed emotions, but he was a bit limited in his vocal lines after a while. Well as usual it's only a matter of tastes in the end.
It is, but it is true what you are saying. A singer with a big reach can sing more versatile vocal lines. However high singer sounds not a thick and powerfull as mid-range vocals. Mid-range vocals on the other hand can be quite limited. Then there's a difference in how creative the paricular singer is. I have heard some boring and uninspired vocalist in my life :erk:

Fangface said:
By the way I think that Halford has a powerful mid-range for a "screamer", I see what you mean concerning the high pitch vocalists though. Iced Earth need a vocalist with balls, that's for sure.
Halford is The Metal GOD!! :worship: /subjective mode off/

I think Tim is doing a great job! But I do think that the early period of IE was its best. I am not to crazy about what they did after "Dark Saga".

I feel that especially "Something Wacked this Way Comes" was a weak release. In my humble opinion of course. I did not like the sing along choruses that much. Perhaps their earlier releases had a more progressive streak in them?

Great post Fangface!! :headbang:

No kids in our house and it looks like it will stay that way as neither my husband nor I have much interest in raising children. Who knows what will happen 3 years from now though, and if I did have a child, he / she would probably listen to Metal since that´s what they´d mostly hear in our house.

Hawk said:
Ha ha thats ok Jonny! :) I was just trying to make a technical point :tickled: In the end however it does not mean shit! I mean It's all about preferences right? I would not try to touch that subject with a ten foot pole :lol: OTOH... maybe one day I will who knows?

What probably was not clear in my post is that I always liked the singer with a big reach way better.

Absolutely. one of my fave vocalists of all times is Udo and he is so strange that it's hard to give a technical standpoint of him. Some people think he can't sing at all, other's love him. Personally, though I would like everyone to like what I like, if no one in the world likes him but me, he still kicks my ass. To me he is "the voice of metal" only behind Ronnie.

Different tastes are what makes opinions interesting.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Absolutely. one of my fave vocalists of all times is Udo and he is so strange that it's hard to give a technical standpoint of him. Some people think he can't sing at all, other's love him. Personally, though I would like everyone to like what I like, if no one in the world likes him but me, he still kicks my ass. To me he is "the voice of metal" only behind Ronnie.

Different tastes are what makes opinions interesting.

Bryant
What I always like about UDO is that he can express a very high level of power and emotion in his voice. This guy was born to sing!

Abryl said:
I definitely like Barlow's voice way better than Owens'. I never had the chance to see Iced Earth live with Matt except for a couple of bootlegs and it seemed to me that he had great stage presence and was just a really good frontman, not to mention his, in my opinion, awesome voice. I saw Iced Earth with Owens in May and overall I think it was a cool show, but Tim didn't seem to have "enough stage presence" and sometimes his voice lacked emotion, like on Melancholy. He sounded good on My Own Savior, Violate and Burning Times tho.

As far as TGB goes, well I was looking forward to that album and it dissappointed me so much :( I like some songs but to me it just sounds weak, considering what IE have been able to do before. I hope this explains it a bit more ;) :p
It sure does! :) I would think that Tim needs a while to get used to the songs. Give him some time and then see them again. You might see a different presence on stage. Thanks for clarifying though! :wave: