Are you angry about the Maiden tour dates too? Post here.

Live Nation is promoting the tour. It is in the press release on Maiden's website announcing the tour.

Which, I believe, proves my point, no?

But you don't think a band like Iron Maiden, who hasn't played in a city like Atlanta with Bruce in about 15 years, wouldn't draw well here?

People would be a lot more willing and likely to make the 3-5 hour drive from Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, SC, NC, etc than they would be to make a 12 hour trek.

Economics aren't really a problem.

This would be true...IF the Atlanta show had an exclusion radius -- contractually preventing shows anywhere in Florida, say, and anywhere south of DC and east of Texas. It's possible their booking agent was unwilling to provide that sort of exclusion zone.

At least Glenn, the man with the biggest balls, hosts his METAL festivals in the ATL! How many times did he host up north? Oh yeah, once. How many times on the west coast? Oh yeah, zero!

Well, Glenn also happens to live closest to Atlanta, of all the places you mentioned. :saint:

That's not why he moved PPUSA to Atlanta, though. He tried venues in other cities along the Eastern seaboard and at least as far west as Chicago, and no-one would give him the time of day. ("You want to book our 1,000+ capacity hall for TWO nights? Who ARE you?")
Happily, connections were made, people were talked-to, and the rest is history.

Threads like these just remind me of Glenn's statement that if I recall correctly, stated that there's only really one person in control of all these major arenas in Atlanta, and that person doesn't really like metal. Thus, we don't get many of these tours.

This is a city where the largest and longest-running FM rock radio station had a "no Iron Maiden" rule. :rolleyes:

I still think it comes down to LiveNation being worried about meeting the guarantee here.

Atlanta:

Georgia Dome: 71,000
Philips Arena: 21,000
Lakewood Amphitheater: 19,000
Gwinett Center: 13,000

It's a pity LiveNation doesn't book at Gwinnett Center (at least, I don't think they do). It'd be a great venue for the tour...but maybe a bit small for the guarantee.

I don't buy the "Logistics" arguments. First it makes no sense that a band flying around in a jumbo jet would put their gear on a truck to move it from city to city.

Second, two tours ago they played the Northeast and Canada. Then they played San Juan, Peurto Rico. Which means they flew right over or past Knoxville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami. How could any of those then be "out of the way?" No truck drove there either.

Even if they are out of the way 20,000 tickets at $100 ea, is 2 million dollars. That's not worth a side trip?

I don't believe it's a fear of poor sales. Even if Live Nation had concerns regarding the Atlanta market guarantees in particular, Florida would have no such concerns.

Venue size isn't an issue. All the cities above, as well as others, have large enough venues. They all have big enough airports for that matter.

I seriously doubt it's an anti-metal sentiment by venues or promoters. Other big Hard Rock and Metal bands get venues in Atlanta and the Southeast. Priest, AC/DC, KISS, Disturbed, and Metalica etc. all get venues here. It's a business. People don't turn down big money because they "don't like Metal."

I have no clue as to why they skip the this part of the country, but it's not because it's too difficult or unprofitable.

yea that is lame. im from philly...and theres not philly date this year. not a big deal because NY and NJ shows aren't too far away...and road trips to concerts for bands you love are always fun.

i remember after last tour when i checked the tour diary, they said only about 8,000 people in philly...and they seemed annoyed by that.

i mean i can understand if youre use to much more...but thats 8,000 that paid 35-95 dollars to watch you perform. come back...

yea that is lame. im from philly...and theres not philly date this year. not a big deal because NY and NJ shows aren't too far away...and road trips to concerts for bands you love are always fun.

i remember after last tour when i checked the tour diary, they said only about 8,000 people in philly...and they seemed annoyed by that.

i mean i can understand if youre use to much more...but thats 8,000 that paid 35-95 dollars to watch you perform. come back...

Yeah but that's a major profit loss I'm assuming. What's the capacity at the venue they played in Phili?

For years they have been saying that they would not tour the US as much as in the older days. But don't despair, it looks to me like the tour will have a 2nd leg to the US/Canada tour. They've done that for the last few tours, done a round and then come back again... maybe you get lucky, you never know!

still waiting/hoping for a Boston area date

the AMOLAD tour kicked ass, the only disappointed people I saw that night were a few mulletheads that looked like they came to the show direct from a Wayne's World convention. They hadn't listen to IM since 1988.

LMAO! :lol: thanks for the laugh

It's almost strange. I'm not quite sure why certain bands seem maintain their drawing power, while seemingly equivalent bands don't:

Maiden > Priest
Crue > Ratt
Bon Jovi > Poison

Zod

I agree about the comparison on the first 2 bands. But clearly Bon Jovi is way above Poison... Sure, they both had their wayyyyy cheesy periods in the 80's (I love Bon Jovi cheese and all though) but Bon Jovi was able to brake away from the glam image and actually make mature and good records in the 90's and 2000's. Can't say the same for Poison though...

let's see Atlanta is one of the 10 largest cities in the US. Has the busiest airport in the WORLD....But gets screwed ALL the time by metal bands....makes no sense...

And that has always been true. It was true back in the late 80s when I was living down there and I wanted to see the Monsters Of Rock tour. No Atlanta date for that one.

Back on subject, I'm actually happy that Iron Maiden is NOT playing Merriweather Post this time around, since I have an embargo. It means that after all of these years I can actually see Maiden live. BTW, the decision to change the name from "Nissan Pavilion" to "Jiffy Lube Live" gives me all the wrong images...

It's almost strange. I'm not quite sure why certain bands seem maintain their drawing power, while seemingly equivalent bands don't:

Maiden > Priest
Crue > Ratt
Bon Jovi > Poison

Zod

I can sum up this question in one word. Marketing. Maiden and Crue, especially Maiden are marketing machines. Priest have never really heavily marketed themselves like Maiden. I mean fuck, how many different types of shirts, etc. can you get at the Maiden store. Honestly though, it's not like Priest is unpopular. They still fill up pretty decently sized venues.

Yep, you're right.

In the case of Atlanta, I suspect the reason why the tour is not coming here is that all of the venues here suitable for a show like this are controlled by LiveNation, and Iron Maiden's undoubtedly hefty guarantee has them scared.

William, if you're that close to a Texas date, go! I'll envy you the convenience.

Btw, I've not seen Maiden in 14 years! But, I did see them 3 other times before that here in atlanta! But that SURE AS HELL doesn't @ all
make up for the fact that they haven't played here in so long!!!:mad:

Well paul, as I said before on the Atlanta Metal forum:
LIVE NATION & TICKETBASTARD BOTH NEED TO GO BACK FROM THE OOZE THEY BOTH DECIDED TO SLITHER OUT OF
AND STOP FUCKING UP THE METAL & CONCERT SCENE IN GENERAL!!!!!!
THEY BOTH SUCK SERIOUS ASS!!!!
IT"S ALL ABOUT CORPORATIONS & GREED AND NOT ABOUT
THE MUSIC ANYMORE!!!
THANKS SO FUCKING MUCH YOU CORPORATE
ASSHOLES!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

(I hope this doesn't piss off anyone, this is my opinion, but from
the way things stand now, it's also becoming a Cold Hard Fact!:puke: )

Well paul, as I said before on the Atlanta Metal forum:
LIVE NATION & TICKETBASTARD BOTH NEED TO GO BACK FROM THE OOZE THEY BOTH DECIDED TO SLITHER OUT OF
AND STOP FUCKING UP THE METAL & CONCERT SCENE IN GENERAL!!!!!!
THEY BOTH SUCK SERIOUS ASS!!!!
IT"S ALL ABOUT CORPORATIONS & GREED AND NOT ABOUT
THE MUSIC ANYMORE!!!
THANKS SO FUCKING MUCH YOU CORPORATE
ASSHOLES!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

(I hope this doesn't piss off anyone, this is my opinion, but from
the way things stand now, it's also becoming a Cold Hard Fact!:puke: )
Well, I agree that the money over the music focus sucks as do the big corporate f-tards, but when has it not been that way? Sure was in the 80's when I started checking out the scene. Sad, but true fact. What you really need are some ballsy promoters with enough love of the music to risk their ass to bring the good stuff to the neglected areas and the dedicated fans to support them so they don't lose their shirt and will do it again. :kickass:
Of course, that won't drag the big boys' hairy asses anywhere. :erk:

Not angry at all. Got my tix. The whiners should nut up and hop on a plane and book a hotel. :heh:

Tough to "nut up" when you're in grad school and your only source of income is a 1,000 dollar a month TA-job. All I could do to scrounge up the change for a PP ticket. That's my big splurge...other than the occasional CD or adventure to the bar.

Quit drinking, sell your PP ticket (lame lineup anyway this year) and work a second job. Problem solved :lol: :headbang: :lol:

Maiden :Smug: :headbang: :Smug:

Tough to "nut up" when you're in grad school and your only source of income is a 1,000 dollar a month TA-job. All I could do to scrounge up the change for a PP ticket. That's my big splurge...other than the occasional CD or adventure to the bar.