Arise and Purirfy

Badass! This is as good as I had hoped it was going to be. Sounds to me like a perfect mix of Sanctuary, Nevermore and Warrel's solo album. Which is exactly what it should sound like! Can't wait to hear the rest of it.

Finally something new and fresh sounding!

The only 'Nevermore' in this song is Warrel.

Just have to tune out all the dumbass comparisons to Nevermore that will be emerging.

I agree that this is definitely a new animal, but if you don't hear old NM like DNB in this, you're deaf. My first thought was, "Holy shit, this is exactly how I felt the first time I heard 'Beyond Within'".

Like I said, this is what I've been waiting for since DNB, and as great as other NM albums may be, this is the first time in about 15 years that Warrel sings on something that feels like NM of old. Long live the 6 string.

I like the song a lot...like the dual vocals in the chorus and soloing. Heavy and memorable. Very cool tune to open with. Thanks for sharing that and for continuing to make killer music.

Warrel tweeted that the "best songs are coming", so after a great start like this we have lots more to look forward to! We already have an idea what TWIW and IAL sound like, but it will be nice to hear them in crystal-clear quality with studio production.

When the hell is CM going to have a pre-order page up????

This is actually not quite correct. Even Warrel said that one reviewer was claiming that this was the best "Nevermore" album since Dreaming Neon Black. And he didn't seem to find that to be an insult. If you listen closely, you can actually hear riffs that sound like they would perfectly fit on that album and the distortion is similar as well. Jeff didn't always use a 7 string with Nevermore until DHIADW right?

I don't get it, what are we disagreeing on? There are going to be inevitable comparisons but I don't think the two are the same. And yes, Jeff went 7 string on Dead Heart.

Chug a chug? You talking about his change to a more djent like style? Because this track has a hell of a lot of "chug a chug".

Yeah, and it's not too surprising that Lenny or Zeuss might be feeling the influence, since it's so dominant.

I really do not hear that much (old) "Sanctuary" in this compared to Nevermore and the solo stuff. I think the production and vocals are the largest factor, but definitely not the only. You can't really expect this to sound nothing like Nevermore at all either and not just due to the vocals. Didn't Warrel have less of an influence in the songwriting process during the early days of Sanctuary compared to Nevermore and now? If this track is any indication of the rest of the album, then calling it one of the best "Nevermore" albums is actually a compliment. Because what the fuck anyway, they released some of the best albums from 96 on. But anyway, Nevermore is pretty much defunct and we have an album released by Sanctuary, so technically this sounds like Sanctuary right?

You do realize you start by saying it doesn't sound like old Sanctuary and then you end by saying it sounds like Sanctuary?

Just because it doesn't sound like 1989 Sanctuary doesn't by default turn it into Nevermore. You can't really expect these guys to reunite after 20 years and sound exactly as they did when they split. Warrel and Lenny have undoubtedly changed and improved as musicians in that time. So the fact they don't shouldn't mean an automatic Nevermore comparison. That's just lazy. The Sanctuary sound changed but not into Nevermore.

saying it's the best NM album since DNB is an insult to EOR, TGE and DHiaDW. They were all brilliant albums. TOC, not so much.

You do realize you start by saying it doesn't sound like old Sanctuary and then you end by saying it sounds like Sanctuary?

I know what I said, and I did actually specify "old" Sanctuary. The current music sounds nothing like that to me, and much more modern, which is another reason it sounds closer to Nevermore. The ending statement wasn't even really meant to be taken seriously anyway.

Just because it doesn't sound like 1989 Sanctuary doesn't by default turn it into Nevermore. You can't really expect these guys to reunite after 20 years and sound exactly as they did when they split. Warrel and Lenny have undoubtedly changed and improved as musicians in that time. So the fact they don't shouldn't mean an automatic Nevermore comparison. That's just lazy. The Sanctuary sound changed but not into Nevermore.

Really no reason to argue with you about this. Your points aren't wrong, but you're oversimplifying the situation and acting as though everyone posting on this board are all just drawing comparisons due to the most obvious aspects.

saying it's the best NM album since DNB is an insult to EOR, TGE and DHiaDW. They were all brilliant albums. TOC, not so much.

It's not even close to an insult if DNB is your favorite, or in your top two favorite Nevermore albums. While I agree that the rest of the albums were all great up until ToC (My personal favorites being DNB and TGE), how is praising the new album--which none of us have heard in it's entirety--for being better than everything beyond DNB a disservice when it very well may be? What I'm reading from such a statement is simply that it's extremely good. Considering how long we've been waiting with bated breath for this album, I don't really get why anyone would turn sour over such an opinion...

Also, Lenny actually helped Nevermore with their DNB demos. No idea if he had any kind of influence in the direction of the music itself, or was only there in producer form, but you can't discount that.

I agree that this is definitely a new animal, but if you don't hear old NM like DNB in this, you're deaf. My first thought was, "Holy shit, this is exactly how I felt the first time I heard 'Beyond Within'".

That is the first song that came to mind, as well as "I Am The Dog", "Deconstruction", and "Fault of the Flesh".

:lol:
Apparently someone wanted more "screams."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwD3amB-4Xw

I have zero issues with the vocals of the original version. The "updated" version is less than a half-assed attempt at a "fix" anyway and sounds like complete shit. I was actually expecting to hear some kind of sped up version, or the Chipmunks, or just parts of screams from the earlier Sanctuary albums superimposed, but the effort put into this isn't even enough to make it passable as a parody. It's just entirely lazy.

The only thing I'd really like to know of the original is if it was a conscious decision to bury the falsettos so far back in the mix. I can't help but wonder if they were unsatisfied with them, or if they were produced through studio wizardry and effects rather than Warrel's voice. Like I said, I have zero issues with the way the vocals sound, but I do understand why some are disgruntled. Nevermore initially struck me as a combination of the best elements from Iron Maiden and Metallica (although missing Harris' bass playing) and that's especially true of the vocals. They were very aggressive at times like Hetfield, yet also had the power of Dickinson (or Tate) at times too. Even if Warrel could find his missing c-clamp and helium tank, I'm not sure it would sound right if he reverted back more towards that style with how much more aggressive the new Sanctuary music is. At the same time though, I do feel like what is there could, and maybe even should be ever so slightly more prominent.

Then again, it's only the first track we've heard, so who knows? Longest two months ever.

Two thumbs up it's got great depth - like old chilli

Anyway for me it sounds like Alice in chains altered in some strange way, in a cool
Way!!!

Cool song. To me, it sounds more like a mix between DNB and the solo album of WD. There are a lot of harmonic structures that have the same atmosphere as DNB, and the solos are full of minor scales and phrygian modes like in early nevermore (or like what Tim Calvert did on DNB), and that's great. However, the structure of the song is as simple as the ones found on the solo album of WD which gives (with the production) a modern taste to the whole. I like the production also, massive but still open.

Let's hope the other songs have the same atmosphere I like a lot, but with a bit more complicated structures.

So Warrel... from a sexy metalhead girl's request... can I just get a "Hell yeah!" since you know you're gonna kick ass with this record?

HELL YEAH!! I can't wait for everyone to hear the whole thing! The next song coming for the lyric video is Exitium (Anthem of the living) and all my female friends think it's the best song on the record

HELL YEAH!! I can't wait for everyone to hear the whole thing! The next song coming for the lyric video is Exitium (Anthem of the living) and all my female friends think it's the best song on the record

Fuckin YES! and you don't know how much I'm dying to hear it right now.

But all good things come in time. I'm glad we can all anticipate this together.

And it sounds weird but I'm so glad it's coming out in October. My most creative/dark moods come in the fall and I feel like I can appriciate your lyrics and music even more.

I dig it. Good to hear Warrel singing over music that doesn't abuse the 7th string. And that main riff is pretty sweet.

My thoughts exactly. I never liked thrash metal lower than D tuning anyway, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe C tuning. B and below is great for stoner, sludge, and doom, but for thrash metal it just gets muddy.

I dig it. Good to hear Warrel singing over music that doesn't abuse the 7th string. And that main riff is pretty sweet.

Totally!
You can tell that it's just normal 6 string tuning.
The rhythm style that Loomis uses just isnt my favorite.
As a guitarist, im ready to hear more 6 string riffs.
If you're not playing downtuned deathmetal, I dont want to hear a 7 string.

Totally!
You can tell that it's just normal 6 string tuning.
The rhythm style that Loomis uses just isnt my favorite.
As a guitarist, im ready to hear more 6 string riffs.
If you're not playing downtuned deathmetal, I dont want to hear a 7 string.

Sounds to me like it's down tuned at least a half-step? Also, does anyone know what is going on at the 30s mark that sounds like a completely random death grunt?