asgeir

I picked out The Adversary from my bookshelf about a week ago and i´ve come to the conclusion that the drum production on there must be one of my all time favorite drum productions along with ..And Justice For All and Blessed Are The Sick,i really prefer tight drumsounds over big boom boom reverb-ones. To someone who has no clue about producing procedures: how much influence do you as a drummer have in stuff like this? Is it out of your hands or do you get something to say about your drumsound?

Drum sound is A LOT about HOW you hit the drums. I use heavy sticks and play hard and thus get a lot of punch and good tone out of the drums (just wait till you hear Ihsahn's next album!). I need to change the tom's drum heads after only 1,5-3 songs in the studio (depending on how many tom rolls it is in the songs). No matter how great drum production anyone delivers - it's easy for the people who mix the album to f--k up the sound.

I was big fan of Metallica untill "...And Justice For All". Absolutely hate the drum sound on that album...

Asgeir would you agree with my opinion that Epic is better than Empiricism "not that part" but overall there wasn't a huge reinvention between albums I think because they were recorded closely together?

Do you think the next album will have that reinvention? Will you elude the question with a picture of Beyonce which I will also accept as an answer?

The drum sound is just as good as the bass tone.

What albums have have your favorite drum tones (Borknagar or not)?

What bass, the album is void of bass....as for the drum sound how could you get any worse than ST ANGER. I still enjoy AJFA though, just because the drum sound is not top notch doesnt mean the whole album sucks.

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli has the best drum sound imo!

That's my opinion, I really like how powerful everything is, especially the low (double)bass. But it can also be because I'm a Hellhammer freak:p