Asian Extreme Metal

Sabin Frost

Doom makes me happy
Apr 21, 2007
South Australia, Australia
Without trying to I have found that lately I have been getting really into a lot of Asian metal bands such as Cthonic, Sigh, Meza Virs, Sabbat, Kekal etc.

With so many great bands, and so much originality and talent coming out of Japan and other Asian countries I thought I would start a thread on it.

Abhorer, Impiety, and Nuctemeron from Singapore are enjoyable, as are Langsuyr and Bazzah from Malaysia, Korihor from the Philippines, Hyponic from Hong Kong, and the many bands from Japan, such as Sabbat, Sigh, Abigail/Barbatos/Cut Throat, Metalucifer, Coffins, Transgressor, Anatomia, Magnesium, Casbah, Outrage, Zadkiel, Jurassic Jade, Sacrifice, Gallhammer, Intestine Baalism, and Terror Squad.

Japan has a great Brutal Death scene including Vomit Remnants and Infernal Revulsion. Phillipines and Singapore are also growing fast with bands like Human Mastication and Flesh Disgorged. There is also Jasad from Indonesia. China has a growing scene as well. I quite enjoy Be Persecuted's album

no asian metal thread is complete without oathean! great black metal from south korea.

i spent 2 years in japan, and totally regret not flying to tokyo for shows. i would have loved to see sigh. i did see a good handfull of bands that came down to okinawa though. thanatos (incantation like death metal), deadblood (meh, decent DM, but since they were the only okinawa based DM band, you had to like em), and overhole (coooool old school thrash). i also got to see loudness, but they arent extreme, just AWESOME!
~gR~

Regicide (Chinese brutal/slam death)
Sad Legend (South Korean melodic black)
Holymarsh (South Korean melo-death)
Vomit Remnants (Japanese brutal/slam death)
Be Persecuted (Chinese depressive black)
Hyonblud (Chinese brutal/slam death)

But, Asian (specifically Japanese) noise is where it's at:
Pain Jerk
Incapacitants
older Merzbow
Government Alpha
Crack Steel

Kekal, on initial impression, can be held back by the production as well as some of the vocals. But I think if you can get past those things that there is some amazing music to be found.

My favorites are the debut, Beyond the Glimpse of Dreams, and The Painful Experience.

My friend met Chthonic recently at one of their concerts and is trying to make arrangements to go see another one within the next few days. He specifically mentioned that Doris is really, really hot. I also like Seraphim, who I think are also from Taiwan, though they're more of a power metal band, than extreme metal.

I like Blood Stain Child as well, who sound kind of like a Japanese Children of Bodom. The only other Asian band that I'm familiar with is Dir En Grey, who I think sound like a Japanese Slipknot, which I can't stand.

I actually had dinner with one of our Japanese exchange students recently, and we were talking about music and she hadn't heard of any of these bands. She knew about Nobuo Uematsu and the Final Fantasy games though, so at least I'm not a complete failure :p

I personally think that Asian (more so Japanese) takes on extreme music, no matter the medium or style is incredible. Something about the Japanese approach makes it stand very high, almost completely as it's own subtype.

While not so much metal: Boris, Mono, Envy and World's End Girlfriend are some which come to mind.

My friend met Chthonic recently at one of their concerts and is trying to make arrangements to go see another one within the next few days. He specifically mentioned that Doris is really, really hot.

The bass player? yes she is hot. Anyways my damn computer won't play their album anymore... :mad:

Gives me files for the video and other extras on the CD instead but I can't get it to play the music... any ideas?

Woah! Nice thread!

The Philippine Metal scene is growing fast now... New extreme metal bands are emerging
as well as power, thrash and gothic...

Definitely, you must check out... I think most of them has a page in myspace...

Bloodshedd (Death/Thrash Metal)
Sultan of Snap (Thrash Metal)
Askals (Thrash Metal)
Skychurch (Crossover/Thrash)
Bane (Thrash Metal)
Kronos (Thrash/Heavy Metal)
Massacridia (All Girl Thrash Metal)

Human Mastication (Death Metal)
Sin (Death Metal)
PowerTools (Death Metal)
Blasphemous Cremation (Death/Grind)
End this Day (Death Metal)
Mortal Grudge (Death Metal)
Descant Gott (Melodic Death ala Arch Enemy)
Faster than Satan (Death/Grind)

Korihor (Black Metal)
Deiphago (Black Metal)

Sanctus (Power Metal)

Death by Stereo (Progressive)

Iconoclast (Gothic/Doom - I think he resides in the US now)
Sea of Rains (Gothic/Doom)

From Other Asian Countries, I like...

Sad Legend
Intestine Baalism
Kekal

Cthonic are quite good.

I especially liked when the lead man started going on a rant about how the United Nations doesn't recognize Taiwan. It was quite amusing!