Ask Katatonia

Ghostnail

Journo/photographer
Feb 21, 2006
www.ghostnail.tk
So, I'm new here at the forum, but not to Katatonia.

I'm a journo/photographer for a Swedish metal webzine called MetalCentral, more of which later, and I've been scheduled to do an interview with the boys in the band. So, here's Your chance to ask the question you've always had on your dirty mind about the band. Anything goes, but I will choose which Q's will be asked in the int.

So, ask away! :headbang:

Jonas: During the years, what have been the main things inspiring you lyrically on albums from Dance of December Souls to The Great Cold Distance? Are there some specific themes that can be found on all of the albums?

Edit: When is this interview going to be out and where can we read it?

I'll be doing the interview sometime in the coming week, but I can't tell you when I will post it. But I'll be sure to drop a line in here when it's online. Sadly, it will be in swedish, but I could try and translate it, although I can't promise anything. Sure my english is perfect and all, but I don't know if/when I'd have the time to do it...

"Have you ever been stopped in the street by someone who said 'Hey, youre Jonas renkse!'"

And

"why are guitar solos a rarity in katatonia?"

Discouraged+One said:
"what did you get in the Mcdonall pictures you posted on the bloodbath website? chinken mcnuggets?........"
:lol: or since it was meant to be breakfast, egg McMuffin, or Big Breakfast?

"Since he's credited as playing additional guitars, what songs/parts did Jonas play on VE and the My Twin single?"

I think most of the interview questions are always the same stuff, poor Katatonia, they always have to repeat and repeat by heart the same answers...

Anyways I´ll be interested in knowing more about rehearsals...how many times do they meet before preparing themselves for a tour..and if they rehearse somewhere in Dalarna or in Stockholm.

what do they think of their fans? I don´t know, maybe some strange anecdote about fans..or do they receive lots of e-mails or regular mail by fans? What do fans usually write, have they ever been menaced or insulted by some crazy fan?

How much money do they spend on booze and beer weekly?:)

What do the like and don´t like of Sweden and Swedes?

Will there be a DVD for the upcoming tour?

- what do they think of their older releases and do they still listen to them

- any possibility that we get something from Diabolical Masquerade or October Tide again?

- what is the origin of 'Blakkheim' and what does it mean to Anders

- what's up with the ominous different mix of Sounds Of Decay. any possibility for a release

How does the collabaration work between the band members with regards to song writing? Do Jonas and Anders write the material spot on then the rest just play it oris the more at work?

What are your intentions? Do you plan/ would like chart success, or do you prefer to remain underground.

> How did katatonia come up with the band's name?
> Why did Jonas change his look? Does long hair mean something to him or he was just sick of his old look and decided to change it? (what a stupid question, anyway, just wanted to know)

where do you see yourselves in five years.....musically and in life. Will any of you ever get married?

How do you feel about obsessive fans spending thousands of dollars collecting everything they can get there hands on with your name on it....namely (Reece)Deliverance6.....and Jonas....when will you send him that poster....(haha...inside joke)

Are you planning on staying with peaceville....or looking elsewhere...(this will probably not be fully answered)

hmmm....thats all I can think of right now....

What do you prefer a Terry Gilliam Monthy python-esque movie or Ingmar Bergman type?

If you were living in the 60's with a possibility to become one of the pop-stars by then who would you choose to be: The Kinks, the Beatles or the Stones??

Deliverance6 said:
where do you see yourselves in five years.....musically and in life. Will any of you ever get married?

How do you feel about obsessive fans spending thousands of dollars collecting everything they can get there hands on with your name on it....namely (Reece)Deliverance6.....and Jonas....when will you send him that poster....(haha...inside joke)

Are you planning on staying with peaceville....or looking elsewhere...(this will probably not be fully answered)

hmmm....thats all I can think of right now....

well i did read in a interview and anders said they were going to leave peaceville, if you want the reasons i'll tell later.

my quiestion would be:

any U.S. tour? (already asked)

Alright..
When and how did Jonas/Anders find out they could sing like they could/can. (hm lame question..)
And will Anders do some screaming/growling/whatever vox on a next Katatonia album like he did on the dvd, so not like a whole song but just a little bit.. Cause man, seriously, everytime I hear the part on Ghost of the Sun and Murder where Anders jumps in, I get instant goosebumps and a very err, fine feeling. ;)

And oh, about the US tour, it has already been anwsered somewhere, can't remember where though, but they won't.
At least not at the upcoming tour..
Better luck next one (when they have left Peaceville?), guys :)

Zowi said:
And oh, about the US tour, it has already been anwsered somewhere, can't remember where though, but they won't.
At least not at the upcoming tour..

and what about Spain?