Asked to join a band

spioraid

Fancy a pint? Or two?
May 8, 2008
Centreville, VA
I recently got asked to try out for a band some guys I know are putting together. They're great guys, but the music they're writing is definitely in the vein of Mae/My Favorite Highway/Angels and Airwaves. Not really my taste in music.

The pros obviously being playing in a band again. It's been a few years since I've done work with a band and I miss it. These are great guys, aren't douches and doesn't afraid of anything. They have ties with a decent studio so recording can happen pretty much whenever we want for dirt cheap/free.

Cons being I don't care that much for the genre. I appreciate the good musicianship and care they put into writing, I'm just not a fan of the final product. I used to like Mae a lot, but it gets old quick.

I should be jamming with them sometime before the months end so we can see how well we mesh as a band. That should go without a flaw, I'm just concerned that I'd want to take the band in a more March Hare/Katatonia direction and change what they are. Heck, I'd even settle for a Switchfoot style of rock.

Thoughts? Ideas?

the mindset that I've come to adopt lately is that you always can do a solo project to explore your own musical tastes, etc... I think that as long as you can find SOMETHING you like about the music, it will be great fun and totally worth it. Whenever you find yourself trying to bring it in a direction it probably shouldn't go, just think "side project... side project... side project..."

Right. Essentially I've been doing nothing but side projects (solo projects, then?) so I'm anxious to do something and go somewhere with a band. Like I've emphasized these guys are completely legit, I'm really considering sticking with them just for the sake of the experience. I don't think I'm so stuck in my own head about what I want as a whole, as long as I can contribute something original but something fitting then I'm good.