Asking Alexandria - Stand up and Scream

ali3

Sep 14, 2008
Hey

how did you get those palm mutes in the riffs so f***ing clean?
i mean:
if i turn the gain down on my amp i come close to something like that but then the high end lacks gain.
and conversely

so i never get to the point:

-> ultra clear palm mutes ( less gain )
-> acceptable high end ( more gain )

I'll tell you right now, 90% of the tone IMO is in the playing.
Tight playing is the most important thing to me.

+1000
I can not express this enough

And I would turn the gain down
In pod farm I don't think I ever have the gain past 40%, it's usually lower and I let the TS do all the work. (kinda like a real amp)

Try doing the dual tone function. Set up two of the identical chains but on one pull the gain WAY back and then mix in that chain to taste. This helps make things more articulate. But I'm sure Joey has other tricks. Let's see if he might share!

yeah thanks but i already tried this .. the problem is that the palm mutes becomes somehow fizzy from the gain of the first high gain amp and it doesn't hep if i take out all the fizz. maybe there is another trick.

I'll tell you right now, 90% of the tone IMO is in the playing.
Tight playing is the most important thing to me.

yeah i know ;)

+1000
I can not express this enough

And I would turn the gain down
In pod farm I don't think I ever have the gain past 40%, it's usually lower and I let the TS do all the work. (kinda like a real amp)

mostly i end up with around 50 - 60 and on 20 on TS.

how much gain do you usually use on the ts?

Whatever it takes and whatever fits the player/guitar/song/genre/part of the song it's never about what number it is, it's what sounds right. The reason I know the % is because that is where it usually sounds good to my ears

And when I am using diamond plate I usually have the gain at 30-35, it's usually with deathcore bands that have long drawn out disschord breakdowns that I push the gain up to 40-50.

Whatever it takes and whatever fits the player/guitar/song/genre/part of the song it's never about what number it is, it's what sounds right. The reason I know the % is because that is where it usually sounds good to my ears

And when I am using diamond plate I usually have the gain at 30-35, it's usually with deathcore bands that have long drawn out disschord breakdowns that I push the gain up to 40-50.

and it depends if you double or quad track , too

Meh, I guess that's a personal preference but then again I don't quad track so maybe I'm not the best to argue with that. Although for me I find quad tracking pointless (again my own personal preference)

yeah i know. what i meant to say is that you need less gain when you quad track

Yea, but I had a mixing job I did a couple years back and they quad tracked and the best results I got was having the main guitars my normal gain level at the time and then the layer tracks had very very low gain 5-7% but a higher presense and higher mids to pull clarity out of the notes and chords.

I prefer to have the player play the parts right instead of resorting to quad tracking to get the "beefyness" or whatever you want to call it

But If you guys quad I would recommend giving what I said a shot, yoi can get some cool results

Meh, I guess that's a personal preference but then again I don't quad track so maybe I'm not the best to argue with that. Although for me I find quad tracking pointless (again my own personal preference)

haha yeah I don't have the patience to quad track oh my god I'd kill myself

and yeah I know I was just wondering about a general setting, because lately I feel like I've been over-gaining my guitars but I usually use about 30 percent on the ts as well

This question popped up a few times for me now, sometimes it's clear and sometimes I am not shure how it was meant.
Say you've got essentially 2 guitars playing almost the same most times, one of them sometimes playing harmonics/thirds or letting a chord ring while the other guitar plays the riff.
Would you call it double tracking if you tracked 2 tracks of each guitar. Or would that be quad tracking for you because you've got 4 mostly identical guitar tracks?

For me, 2 guitars on each side = double tracking and 4 guitars on each side would be quad-tracking. But perhaps I'm using the term wrong.

play palm mutes with the pick hand close to the bridge, then move closer to the neck, difference is huuuuge IMHO :D

This question popped up a few times for me now, sometimes it's clear and sometimes I am not shure how it was meant.
Say you've got essentially 2 guitars playing almost the same most times, one of them sometimes playing harmonics/thirds or letting a chord ring while the other guitar plays the riff.
Would you call it double tracking if you tracked 2 tracks of each guitar. Or would that be quad tracking for you because you've got 4 mostly identical guitar tracks?

For me, 2 guitars on each side = double tracking and 4 guitars on each side would be quad-tracking. But perhaps I'm using the term wrong.

I think double tracking is 2 guitar tracks in total, playing the same riff. Say 1 left and 1 right.
Quad would be 2 left and 2 right playing the same riff.

I made this chart a while back:

Code:
         Gtr player / variant
-------------------------------
Type     | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Single   | 1 | - | - | - |
Dual     | 1 | 1 | - | - |
Dual     | 1 | 2 | - | - |
Quad     | 1 | 1 | 2 | 2 |
Quad     | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 |

I think double tracking is 2 guitar tracks in total, playing the same riff. Say 1 left and 1 right.
Quad would be 2 left and 2 right playing the same riff.
Yeah, that's also what I woud say. But the guitas in most metalcore bands are not exactly the same, but just in the verse. They differ in chorusses, intros, bridges etc.. and that's where I'm not shure if it's dual or quadtracking.
I made this chart a while back:

Code:
         Gtr player / variant
Type     | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Single   | 1 | - | - | - |
Dual     | 1 | 1 | - | - |
Dual     | 1 | 2 | - | - |
Quad     | 1 | 1 | 2 | 2 |
Quad     | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 |
Okay, thanks. But honestly I don't quite understand it without an explanation :lol:
Care to elaborate? :)

I compared the guitar tone from Stand up and Scream and their two new songs, Morte Et Dabo and Breathless, and there has been a major improvement in the tone. Also, Stand Up and Scream, was more simple and their reckless and relentless album so far seems to be much more full and heavier. The writing is more complexed as well, not so ...."breakdown, riff, chorus, breakdown, riff, breakdown..." like. So far digging what I have heard of it. Anyone else have another opinion in the change between both albums?