Atlanta, GA, The Masquerade: Later Gang

Protected Witness

Magickal Theatre 33
Sep 27, 2002
www.mrniel.net
www.mrniel.net
I guess I don't need to tell you that since Opeth is about 20 shows into this tour now that they are the tightest fucking band on earth right now and they fucking annhilated.

You know the setlist. Moor, April Eth, and Blackwater Park were retardation on fire.

The best show I have ever been too (definetly better than last tour). Saw two moonspell songs then retired to get drunk. Missed Devilpooper, oh well....

Later gang,
Niel

after that show, i retract my position that opeth is boring live(i thought they were last year).

quick breakdown of the show from my view:

quick suggestion: if you drink at the masquerade, buy beer by the pitcher. it costs only costs $9 and you'll get way more beer than if you bought 2 bottles.

devildriver: the crowd loved them, badass pit. i didn't really like their music but they got the crowd going, so that was cool with me.

moonspell:
asleep.gif
asleep.gif
asleep.gif
i was never really a fan.

opeth:
metal.gif
metal.gif
metal.gif
metal.gif
metal.gif

i know its too late now, but i'm gonna quote mikael anyway:

FUCK VALENTINE'S DAY

Great show. We pulled in a little after doors opened, but still in time to get a t-shirt before DD went on.

Devil Driver - Lots of screaming, nothing original. It was pretty hard to tell what the fuck was going on anyway because both guitarists thought that mesas with no mids sounded good. A guy whispering could have drowned them out. The mix wasn't very good (especially the bass drum which was way too loud), but they had energy I guess. 5 points to the drummer for having a reverse mullet haircut, that was great. Otherwise, this band was not my style.

Moonspell - I think they really got better as they went through their set. They didn't have me convinced at first, but I was digging it by the end. That's always a good sign.

Opeth - Amazing as usual. One of Lopez's bass drum mic's was out during the first half of Masters, so it sounded weird with a quarter-note triplet beat from only the one drum (kinda like godheads on that Inferno video going around). This was my first time to see Opeth from farther back and not in the pit, so it was a different experience for me. The Moor and April Ethereal were of course the highlights of the night. I know most people probably thought it was a better show than last year's ATL show, but I dunno...that was my first time to see them and I was up close in the pit, so that could definitely alter my perception. It seemed to be a pretty good turnout for the show though...too many more and there wouldn't have even been room for a pit.

Xes said:
(kinda like godheads on that Inferno video going around)

I thought that part of the vid sounded wrong, but I always assumed that was just how he played it live for some reason. I feel better knowing it was a tech problem, not Lopez :p