Opeth In Tampa

neuralfraud

Dec 8, 2002
bradenton, FL
nf.eclisis.net
Welp I saw the Tampa show with Moonspell and Devil Driver.. ehh.. both opening bands were ok.. but the fucking vocalist from DD needs to NOT HOLD THE MIC BY THE HEAD... it was feeding back horribly.. other than that, not too shabby..

then came Opeth..

They opened with Masters Apprentices.. fucking awesome!
the also played (i cant remember the order)
Drapery falls
The Moor
April Ethereal
Windopane
In My Time of Need
Deliverence
Blackwater Park

The crowd was fucking insane.. when they left stage the noise was just ridiculous! so they came back and played their "Number 1 out of 5 most extreme songs" ... Demon of the fall!

As I have heard (from them) they've never played BWP on the tour yet, or the moor (Ever!).. I must say they owned.

I know they played some other songs, but I just cant remember for some damn reason!

I got there right before Opeth took the stage, and they rocked the fucking house! :headbang:

However, I felt bad becasue there were not many people there. Hopefully, they will come back in the future and give Tampa another chance.

I had the most awesome night last night! I am still freaking out over hearing "Blackwater Park" played live. I had chills the whole time they were playing! I got to meet and hang out with them after the show. I still have to edit my pics. They were all really great and friendly guys. They really appreciate their fans and didn't act like we were bothering them. Now I wish I would have gotten tickets to the Orlando show tonight. But *sigh* my ass is poor. My boyfriend who lives, eats, and breathes SLAYER thought they were awesome. He told Peter that their cd's do not do them justice as much as the live show did.
Thank you Opeth for giving me a night to remember!

Justametalchick said:
I had the most awesome night last night! I am still freaking out over hearing "Blackwater Park" played live. I had chills the whole time they were playing! I got to meet and hang out with them after the show. I still have to edit my pics. They were all really great and friendly guys. They really appreciate their fans and didn't act like we were bothering them. Now I wish I would have gotten tickets to the Orlando show tonight. But *sigh* my ass is poor. My boyfriend who lives, eats, and breathes SLAYER thought they were awesome. He told Peter that their cd's do not do them justice as much as the live show did.
Thank you Opeth for giving me a night to remember!
I think I met you guys briefly last night. I had an Opeth long sleeve, and a blue hockey hat on, and greenish shorts. Was your boyfriend wearing a Slayer Reign In Blood shirt under a jacket? Did you see/hear that girl with the Obituary shirt on? The one that was yelling, as she got a picture with Mendez? It's good to see the enthusiasm, but she was a little weird to me...but in a fan way I guess. And did you guys wait for Mikael to come off the bus? I figured I'll talk to him on the 12th in Orlando, so I left after talking a little to Peter and Mendez.

neuralfraud said:
Welp I saw the Tampa show with Moonspell and Devil Driver.. ehh.. both opening bands were ok.. but the fucking vocalist from DD needs to NOT HOLD THE MIC BY THE HEAD... it was feeding back horribly.. other than that, not too shabby..

then came Opeth..

They opened with Masters Apprentices.. fucking awesome!
the also played (i cant remember the order)
Drapery falls
The Moor
April Ethereal
Windopane
In My Time of Need
Deliverence
Blackwater Park

The crowd was fucking insane.. when they left stage the noise was just ridiculous! so they came back and played their "Number 1 out of 5 most extreme songs" ... Demon of the fall!

As I have heard (from them) they've never played BWP on the tour yet, or the moor (Ever!).. I must say they owned.

I know they played some other songs, but I just cant remember for some damn reason!
You only forgot the opener, Master's Apprentice, and the impromptu riffage from Serenity Painted Death. It was no suprise that Dave Vincent, James Murphy, and other Death metalheroes were at the show. I just knew Mikael would mention his vocal idol Vincent sometime during the set. Just curious, where were you standing during the show? I wonder if I might have met you also.

ramses said:
I think I met you guys briefly last night. I had an Opeth long sleeve, and a blue hockey hat on, and greenish shorts. Was your boyfriend wearing a Slayer Reign In Blood shirt under a jacket? Did you see/hear that girl with the Obituary shirt on? The one that was yelling, as she got a picture with Mendez? It's good to see the enthusiasm, but she was a little weird to me...but in a fan way I guess. And did you guys wait for Mikael to come off the bus? I figured I'll talk to him on the 12th in Orlando, so I left after talking a little to Peter and Mendez.
Yes that was us! And I do remember chatting with you. Yes I had come so close I HAD to wait for Mikael to get off the bus. It was maybe 5 mins after you left. Yes I thought the girl was a "little" strange myself. :lol But hey it takes all kinds.

Justametalchick said:
Yes that was us! And I do remember chatting with you. Yes I had come so close I HAD to wait for Mikael to get off the bus. It was maybe 5 mins after you left. Yes I thought the girl was a "little" strange myself. :lol But hey it takes all kinds.
D'oh!!Only five minutes? Should have waited a little longer. I got his autograph on all other Opeth albums except the new ones. Maybe in Orlando, I can. You're right about the girl that was really excited...Mendez didn't seem to mind at all. There's all types of ways that fans express their love of a band. She was cool, though. She was to the right of me during the show, and she definately knows Opeth's material. It was a little funny, but in a good way...it just made me jump when she was yelling, when her friends took her picture with Mendez. Glad you got to meet Mikael. I talked to him before the show back on the BP tour in 01, at the brass mug. Mostly about 70's prog bands. There are a lot of bands that will meet with their fans, and hang out, but truly all the Opeth guys have to be the most polite, low key bunch of guys you'll ever come across!

You are exactly right! That's what makes them such a great band. Some bands have lost since forgotten that it is their fans who have kept them in business. Lucky you getting to see them again tonight! I don't think my heart could stand the excitment 2 nights in a row.

Justametalchick said:
You are exactly right! That's what makes them such a great band. Some bands have lost since forgotten that it is their fans who have kept them in business. Lucky you getting to see them again tonight! I don't think my heart could stand the excitment 2 nights in a row.
Not tonight..that's Ft. Lauderdale, I think. I'm going to the Orlando show on the 12th. I wasn't originally going to last night's show, but A friend of a friend missed them for the BP tour, and as I converted him, he brought some new fans to see them as well. He wanted me to go, which was ok with me, because he wanted me to let him know when Opeth played pre-Still Life songs, and what they were called...and which album they were on. When I go see bands at the House of Blues, it has a more relaxed atmosphere as to the Masquerade in Tampa, so I'll be more relaxed for that show as opposed to last night. There's just an aura to the Masquerade, that isn't found in too many other venues in the central Florida area. I usually just stand still, regardless of who the band is, but I've found myself a few times at Masquerade shows past and present, getting caught up in the atmosphere.Nice meeting you guys...see you at future Tampa shows!! Take care! RICH

Masquerade has always felt werid to me and I really have never been quite comfortable there either! Although my boyfriend and I met there a year and a half ago at a Deicide show. :lol SO I guess it has been a good place for me.

If you like send me your email addy and I will send you a link to my Opeth pics I took last night. justametalchick@yahoo.com

That show was fucking awesome!!! First time I;ve ever seen Opeth live..yea! Woo! And Mikael was like "brass cup" ...lol. Yeah, there weren't that many people there but oh well. After they played Blackwater Park , my dad thought the show was over..he was all "let's go" and my brother and I were like wtf notyet! My brother took a picture for every song that came on. Man..it was so awesome.. Mikael's voice is amazing live. They did a little riff of serenity painted death right? I can't remember.
edit: nvm, I just read a few posts up.

Moonspell was awesome and DevilDriver, well you all know.