Atmosphere in darkness...

outerone

Alchemy of the Sorcerer
Feb 9, 2006
San Francisco
What really drove me to love scandinavian black metal in the 90 was the atmosphere. As harsh and evil as these band were there was always a deep element of emotion and atmosphere driven by deep melodies that drove the music.

As I look band and seek the current scene I wanna make sure there hasn't been any albums that Ive missed on, so please list some music you feel fits in the discription I have explained.

Bands and albums that I feel fit into this are: Shadowthrone by Satyricon, In Times before Light by Kovenant, Agalloch, Windir, (even) Dimmu Borgirs Stormblast album, Enslaved, early Arcturus, Emperor, early Borknagar and Primordial....

Are there any gems that I have missed such as Windir which I only discovered a few years ago?

Thanks!!

Not that unknown, but just in case you missed them: Ulver's first three albums("Nattens Madrigal" and "Kveldssanger" in particular) and most of Taake's stuff. I haven't listened too much to the latter band, but I believe it might have what you are looking for.
Also, Wolves In The Throne Room are pretty damn awesome. And I'll just mention Deathspell Omega again, 'cause they obliterate so much.
Other than that, ask NicholasDWolfwood.

PS: Dimmu sucks.

Sigh has incredible atmosphere on the first 2 albums. I really like early Ulver of Course.
I would also have to add De Mysterious Dom Sathanas. That album has an insanely dark atmosphere. I remember listening to De Mysterious on shrooms once in a dark room and I about went crazy from some haunting force that just creeped the hell out of me. Not really a good idea while on shrooms to listen to that album. It could probably make a person go mad.

Yeah Ulver I got... and cant even believe I forgot them from my list... considering Bertatt is one of the greatest atmospheric albums of all time!!! Plus I do have Wolves In The Throneroom in my collection :)

Definitely getting Mayhem's De Mysteriis... album.

And I'll just mention Deathspell Omega again, 'cause they obliterate so much.

For some reason I just cant get into Deathspell Omega... I like a little dose of melody in my black metal, but maybe I just havent sampled to the right stuff from them.

Code - Nouveau Gloaming, get it immediately!
http://www.myspace.com/codeblackmetal

Yeah that Code album is amazing.
Deathspell is not my favorite to be honest. The vocals are good, but remind me too much of Attila who I think is the master of the sick vocals, so it just kinda ruins it for me. The music is good, but I have a hard time getting into it.

Code is fucking killer though. Even though Graveland is racist shit, they have some really killer old stuff. Epilog and in the glare of the burning churches are excellent. The song Children of the Moon from Epilog in particuliar is very haunting with some of the best keyboards ever used in black metal. Check it out.

Cradle of Filth, especially the older albums.
(the new ones are more melodic than atmospheric, though they do have lots of atmosphere too.)

Oh, and Dragonforce has really dark atmosphere, try the new album...there's a goth girl in the cover. :headbang:

burzum - hvis lyset tar oss, filosofem
mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanas, ordo ad chao
darkthrone - uafm, abitns, transylvanian hunger
dso - smrc, kenose, splits post-smrc, fas
negura bunget - n crugu bradului (not sure if I spelled that right off the top of my head), om (certain parts are certainly dark)
velvet cacoon - genevieve, dextronaut
xasthur - a gate through bloodstained mirrors, suicide in dark serenity
leviathan - the tenth sublevel of suicide, massive conspiracy against all life, tentacles of whorror
lurker of challice - lurker of challice
twilight - twilight
austere - withering illusions and desolation
darkspace - dark space iii
coldworld - melancholie2
mgla - groza
nyktalgia - nyktaliga, peisithanatos
the ruins of beverast - rain upon the impure
s.v.e.s.t. - urfaust
taake - nattestid ser porten vid, over bjoergvin graater himmerik, taake
thorns - 1989-91 rehearsals, thorns
vinterland - welcome my last chapter
weakling - dead as dreams
code - neurotransmissions, nouveau gloaming

thats just from my ipod alone..note that all of those albums convey a dark atmosphere in different ways to me. for example, "massive conspiracy against all life" (leviathan) and "ordo ad chao" (mayhem) convey darkness to me by way of their production values and how the music is allowed to slither around the mix. "fas..." on the other hand, the darkness is conveyed in the aggression that runs into the ambient sections all while mikko is doing his trademark whisper-grunt over top. I'm awaiting some flaming for some of my choices (like weakling or velvet cacoon) but fuck it

burzum - hvis lyset tar oss, filosofem
mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanas, ordo ad chao
darkthrone - uafm, abitns, transylvanian hunger
dso - smrc, kenose, splits post-smrc, fas
negura bunget - n crugu bradului (not sure if I spelled that right off the top of my head), om (certain parts are certainly dark)
velvet cacoon - genevieve, dextronaut
xasthur - a gate through bloodstained mirrors, suicide in dark serenity
leviathan - the tenth sublevel of suicide, massive conspiracy against all life, tentacles of whorror
lurker of challice - lurker of challice
twilight - twilight
austere - withering illusions and desolation
darkspace - dark space iii
coldworld - melancholie2
mgla - groza
nyktalgia - nyktaliga, peisithanatos
the ruins of beverast - rain upon the impure
s.v.e.s.t. - urfaust
taake - nattestid ser porten vid, over bjoergvin graater himmerik, taake
thorns - 1989-91 rehearsals, thorns
vinterland - welcome my last chapter
weakling - dead as dreams
code - neurotransmissions, nouveau gloaming

wow, ive only heard like 5 bands off that list lol. better check some out!

To me the key element that creates the atmosphere is the collision of the rough and raw darkness of black metal and the beauty of a melody which is often created by some amazing keyboard work.

Blut aus Nord - Mort

An amazing atmospheric album, although there is a chance that you wouldn't like it. It tends to divide opinion. Even amongst BM fans.

You can find the better Dark Atmospheric band in the doom metal.Personal opinion.