Atmosphere in darkness...

Blut aus Nord - Mort

An amazing atmospheric album, although there is a chance that you wouldn't like it. It tends to divide opinion. Even amongst BM fans.

As I was reading through this list, I was amazed that no one had mentioned The Work Which Transforms God - very chilling although its the only one by Blut that I've heard. How does MORT compare to it?

Also surprised no one has mentioned Axis of Perdition.

As I was reading through this list, I was amazed that no one had mentioned The Work Which Transforms God - very chilling although its the only one by Blut that I've heard. How does MORT compare to it?

Also surprised no one has mentioned Axis of Perdition.

morts terrible, it's a very far departure from their previous works. odinist was a bit better - merging the "avant-garde" of mort with the bm of twwtg, but the new album is by-far their best work since the first two.

I fucking lold at the retard who said there's no point to the "shit" that norwegian black metal bands play.

to elaborate upon this point...the extreme metal scene greatly benefited from norsk black metal, and black metal in a general sense. I believe it was ihsahn (of emperor fame) who sent opeth's first demo into candlelight, anyway?

black metal, as the norsk wave started, was anti-establishment. they felt that death metal had betrayed the underground scene and as such they were rebelling by making the most raw, ugly music that they could. albums like hvis lyset tar oss, de mysteriis dom sathanas, and a blaze in the northern sky are extreme metal masterpieces - and they all came out of the norwegian scene. they further pushed the boundaries of extreme metal. they have a very solid place in the history of black metal, and extreme metal as a whole. to say that these albums are "shit" and that "there's no point", you need to be either
a) deaf
b) retarded
c) both.

think mike's stated this in various interviews but off hand I can't remember which ones. it was either ihsahn or samoth, I know that for sure

to elaborate upon this point...the extreme metal scene greatly benefited from norsk black metal, and black metal in a general sense. I believe it was ihsahn (of emperor fame) who sent opeth's first demo into candlelight, anyway?

black metal, as the norsk wave started, was anti-establishment. they felt that death metal had betrayed the underground scene and as such they were rebelling by making the most raw, ugly music that they could. albums like hvis lyset tar oss, de mysteriis dom sathanas, and a blaze in the northern sky are extreme metal masterpieces - and they all came out of the norwegian scene. they further pushed the boundaries of extreme metal. they have a very solid place in the history of black metal, and extreme metal as a whole. to say that these albums are "shit" and that "there's no point", you need to be either
a) deaf
b) retarded
c) both.

Note:
Ninfix said:

Cor Scorpii - Monument
Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane
Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft / Soulblight
Ved Buens Ende - Written In Waters

Essential albums.

BM seems to be a hit or miss genre, though to be fair I'm not exactly the most well versed.

Some of the bands sport pretty poor recording quality and are so incredibly "wall of noise" that I can't seem to glean any redeeming musical value from it... I can certainly understand intelligent use of dissonance to create something more than dissonant, but many BM bands seem to use dissonance to make... more dissonance. Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum...etc. Now, the more melodic Black Metal derivatives can be pretty great. (I say derivatives because they seem too different to be BM in the purest sense) Agalloch, Borknagar, Windir, etc.

For a Dark ambient band you should look to Nest a band who do a split with agalloch.