ATTENTION: ADVERTISEMENTS NOT WELCOME AT THE OSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramz

OSA Council Member
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island, New York
The OSA is not here to advertise concerts, make you money, or push the band of anyone who happens along. If you are not interested in being a part of our community, we are not interested in your band.

Several times we've had to delete advertisements from people who were not part of our community and who have not become part of our community. If you make such a post, it will be deleted.

Long standing members who happen to have a band can of course discuss it, but that is something different from blatantly using us to advertise, and the difference should be obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense.

While your policy is understandable, at the same time you just became the bitchiest unofficial forum on UM.

I'd also like to point out that your signature listing the bands you frequently listen to is essentially an advertisement for those bands and last.fm, as mine is an advertisement for a favorite author of mine.

There is a difference between coming in here to blatantly advertise, and becoming part of OUR community. We have no problem with OSA community members letting us know about other events going on. But, when somebody just "hits and runs" with spam saying "See my band!" without taking the time to be part of our community, that is what crosses the line.

As for the Sonic Cathedral ad: Sonic Cathedral has long been a supporter of OSA. The same with RFUSA. There is no need to delete from the signatures. Other signatures as part of the general UM screen names are accepted as standard preactice. However, "Hit and Run" spamming, when someone just puts up a post saying "See my Band!" and does not become part of the OSA community, that is what will not be tolerated.

There is ONE exception: Let's say someone in the concert thread posts "I'm seeing Cock Block at Joe Blow's on Monday the 19th" You come along and say, "Hey guys, our band, sumdumphuc, is opening that night! The tix there are $30. HOWEVER, you can buy from us for $20 and save the ticketbastard charges." In other words, you are doing something to help the OSA Community. THAT is an acceptable spam.

Peace,
Ray C.

Ok for those who can't seem to either read, understand or display common sense. We'll go through this one more time. (for the record, i truly love it when people half read what i write. That or they are just trolls who enjoy trying to find loopholes).

If everyone will kindly draw their attention back to my original post, you will all notice something very important that was mentioned more than once. I will say it in caps and bold this time, and very very direct so that it will be plain and evident to everyone: IF YOU ARE A PART OF THIS COMMUNITY AND NOT ONLY STOPPING BY TO ADVERTISE, THEN THIS TOPIC WAS NOT DIRECTED AT, NOR DOES IT APPLY TO YOU. This means your sigs are fine. This means if you are a regular poster, don't worry about it. Thank you very much.

(Hey C, i think i just gave you a run for your money on that bitchy title of yours hehe. I would have won if i posted my unedited version of this post :p)

Anyway, sorry for the heavy hand guys, but it had to be done. If we don't get these things declared early, the next thing you know, the forum will be wall to wall advertisements like a lot of Usenet newsgroup.. yuck. How much cooler would it be if these people actually became a regular part of the conversation like the rest of us? Then we'd gladly talk about their bands on occasion. But now that we've handled that, we can get back to our regularly scheduled spam-less discussions and fun. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.