Audio test: 128kbps vs 192kbps vs 320kbps vs cd quality

Sadguru

In my dream...
Jan 11, 2004
Canada, Québec
So, here's the deal: Included in the file below are 4 samples taken from a song. The encoding quality differs for each one of them. The 4 encoding qualities are:
a) 128kbps
b) 192kbps
c) 320kbps
d) cd quality

Of course, don't expect the samples to fit this order, meh.

Basically, all you have to do is post your results in this form:
1) sample 1 = (choose a quality from the list above)
2) sample 2 = (choose a quality from the list above)
3) sample 3 = (choose a quality from the list above)
4) sample 4 = (choose a quality from the list above)

You can download the file here:
YouSendIt: The Leader in File Delivery.

One last thing, to avoid the domino effect, just post your results, nothing else. I'll compile them in a few days.

Let's see just how sharp your ears are.

RESULTS
sample 1 = 192kbps
sample 2 = 128kbps
sample 3 = 320kbps
sample 4 = cd quality

winners:
Albatros
Soundave
Mumblefood
Kenneth R.

REP+ these fuckers, they know what they are talking about.

Thanks everyone who didn't chicken out and posted their results!

TEST RUINED

Nice, Sadguru! I'm VERY curious about this. When I get a sec, I'll post my thoughts. How many people will chicken out of this for fear of losing "golden ear" status?

1) sample 1 = 320kbps
2) sample 2 = cd quality
3) sample 3 = 192kbps
4) sample 4 = 128kbps

:danceboy:

I don't know if speakers have anything to do with it, but i couldn't tell a damn difference. At least not enough difference to complain about the quality. Which tells me people who complain about that sort of thing either have extremely well -ears, are full of shit, or are just plain music snobs.

Reactions: Sadguru
Lol I can't notice almost any difference at all with my headphones :p
well here I go:

1) sample 1 = cd quality
2) sample 2 = 128kbps
3) sample 3 = 320kbps
4) sample 4 = 192kbps

o_O

Reactions: Sadguru
wtf when I listened to these before work I thought #1 was the 2nd worst but everyone seems to think it sounds grrrreat!

edit: This also depends a lot on how well you know what's going on in the song. The better you know the song, the better you'll be able to tell what's missing or sounds worse in lower quality files.

I'm gonna listen to them again in the morning since I had to head out to work when I saw this before and now I'm lazy and this laptop has shit speakers

I don't know if speakers have anything to do with it, but i couldn't tell a damn difference. At least not enough difference to complain about the quality. Which tells me people who complain about that sort of thing either have extremely well -ears, are full of shit, or are just plain music snobs.

You need decent speakers to be able to hear the nuances properly. Listen for the telltale signs in the cymbals. The lower quality the compression on an mp3, the more washy and indistinct the cymbals will sound. Listen for crispness and air. CD quality sounds more open than mp3. The mp3, for lack of better descriptor, should sound 'smaller'.

I'd give this a shot, but I'm capped at the moment. Would take me forever to get the files.

Yeah, I actually turned to the cymbals for any sign of what was going on, but I don't think my speakers were helping me out very much. I'll give it another shot later. Either way, I still think in a general setting, this shows me the quality isn't THAT important, as long as its not obvious.