Audio test: 128kbps vs 192kbps vs 320kbps vs cd quality

I guess my answers didn't influence the decisions people made. I really was hoping for some different results.

seeing the compression ratios/file size after unarchiving the samples is a bit too much of a giveaway, and could lead to biases, but otherwise the test was pretty good, imo. You can differentiate between cd quality and anything encoded in a lossy format (even at 320 kbps) by inspecting the waveforms with basic audio editing software, but I don't think people would actually go to the trouble of doing that. I hope, that is.

If you were to run the test again, I'd recommend using something that's densely layered with many distinct sounding instruments that stand apart in the mix, and with little or no guitar distortion - basically, something with many fine details .Katatonia - tgcd has great production, but due to the heavy distortion and relative simplicity, the audio quality suffers much less from compression than something with more detail, which requires a greater amount of space/information to be expressed accurately.

Reactions: Sadguru
inspecting the waveforms with basic audio editing software, but I don't think people would actually go to the trouble of doing that. I hope, that is.

Yeah.
It's pretty hard and time consuming to look at the waveforms in cubase or some other audio sequencer/whatnot.

The test wasn't ruined and I do think people were honest. Come on let's run another test! This has been the best thread on the Opeth forum for the past year!

I think my error was in trying to find the differences in the distortion and bass drum. The distortion did sound flatter in the 128 and 192 versions but it wasn't quite enough to rank them properly. Also the bass drum had a rounder bottom end in the CD quality and sounded slightly clicky in the 128 and 192. I couldn't find anything in the cymbals.

Seriously, I agree with hibernal. This is definitely one of the better threads. I wish i could have found the difference, but after hearing soundave it seems hard to recongize under my conditions. Nice job sadguru.

excellent. I'd really like to hear some more definitive truths about things with debate around them, so if you can think of any more, drop a pm. It'll save me having to think about it and try to figure it out with my dum dum self ha ha ha ah ahahh ha

excellent. I'd really like to hear some more definitive truths about things with debate around them, so if you can think of any more, drop a pm. It'll save me having to think about it and try to figure it out with my dum dum self ha ha ha ah ahahh ha
i say a stupid comment, then you reply to it, then i reply to that one, and it's over. obviously you don't know how this shit works. you fucking DUNCE