Audix and Krank recording

Andy.. when watching this mix on a UV, you somehow managed to peg every meter and the guitars are CRISP but not SIZZLY.

Surely you run post EQ, the Waves C4, etc and things of that nature.

How is it that you get EVERY single frequency to top out but not sound like shit and keep the guitars so CRISP/non blanketed but not sounding like shitty frying bacon? The performance on these were dead on, imo, and I know that contributes but... If this was a krankenstein (a v30 loaded cab most likely) and an audix i5 into a crane song pre... and your EARS i think.

Forgive me for using such technical terms... =)

hopkins: I'd love to hear a :30 snippet of your work... truly. im not being a smartass.

can you put something up of yours that would compare.. even just some guitars on a dicked up GM drum backing as such? thanks.

Forget the drums please (just there as a click).

but this is 2 tracks of Krank and audix i5.

I know it is "louder" than andys is.. but thats just it.. it is LOUDER.. its not crisp/detailed. I KNOW where to put a microphone.

http://www.jcm900.com/mp3/rhy3.mp3

but hopkins... if your answer is "put the mic in the right place, the most important skill for an engineer" that's a super quipped answer, dude. For something that quipped and snippy I'd expect you to come back with something useful, or a clip or some such...

The only reason I'm not going to lay into you is because your avatar is christian bale from the machinist, which happens to be one of my fave films of the last 5 years........ you get a "get out of ass raping free card."

I see.. Andy does "the basics" well...

But I think your point is trumped considering that andy mostly MIXES stuff (yes I know he also does EVERYTHING else).. BUT, he mostly polishes turds and is handed shoddy, bullox, ruffian material... so in most cases, he works the sneap factor meaning he's sitting and twiddling knobs and spitting out gold.

... your avatar forces me to be cool to you.

Congratulations on being an assumptive dumbass.

I'm not dissing on Andy in any way here, what i'm saying is that he's clearly a good engineer! Sure he can mix, but seeing as this is a reasonably unmixed recording thats besides the point. Andy posted something that is way less mixed than something he'd do commercial, i'm staying on topic here.

Really, do you have to try to start a fight with EVERYONE on this forum before a certain time passes?

Anyway, lets get back to the subject and stop fucking around shall we?

I'm looking forward to hearing your kit samples andy. :headbang:

Hey Andy, how about an entire Sneap Drum library??? o_O
I recently managed to make an Halion drumkit. I spent only one hour catching up to 10 layers of each elements (with both hands). The result is not professional by any means but it sounds beyond my expectations. The most boring part was editing/normalizing all the soundbytes, but mapping was really esay and funny. It took me less than one day.
You've got the gear, so why not? Just a thought... :Spin: ;) :Spin:
Here's an example of what I did with my cheap crappy gear. It's not impressive compared to professional products, it's not metal (too boomy/opened) but not that ridiculous (to my ears at least):
http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=07MUNSKVSO0123QGRMZR667L4O

Oh, and btw guys, don't miss the GSCW DRUMS Library Vol.1... It's not great but It's free...
http://www.gscwdrums.com/

Kazrog said:
Wow, absolutely slamming!! A very cool tone, definitely a different feel to it than the Revolution, I think I like it a bit better.

I love the sound of the snare, incredible, one of the best I've heard.

I dig the tone also, I havent heard much of the Revolution, id like to hear a sample of something that compares both. I have the Krankenstein, and I love it.

Andy Sneap said:
oh's are shure sm81's, akg 451 on hat and AT 4050 on china. I just set the i5 in the same place as a 57, seems pretty good. I've got a tiny bit of the URS a10 graphic on the gtr and ofcourse the c4 before this just keeping the low mids in check.
are you referring to a WAVES C4?

since search is disabled right now, you know of any posts talking about MB Compression and recording metal guitar

kelch said:
since search is disabled right now, you know of any posts talking about MB Compression and recording metal guitar

No, but here's Andy's C4 setttings:

Wavec.gif

~BURNY~ said:
Hey Andy, how about an entire Sneap Drum library??? o_O

hi,
yeah indeed great guitar tones also like the drums very very much ...

but i thought of this idea way back i mean all metal drums on all samplers/keyboards are just way to cheesy it's time for some real good
rock and metal drums (samples and rhythms) for musicians to play with
i then you could ask some of worlds best drummers to lay down some beats
okay i'll keep dreaming anyways ;)