Avant-garde/experimental black metal

Some of this stuff is really cool, especially Abigor, Negura Bunget (too bad their albums are all $50), and Virus. Going to have to buy some of these records.

the negura bunget albums are $50?! man, i guess it went out of print. OM is so fucking good though.

oh look, the end still has it for cheap:
http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl/it.A/id.14444/.f

seriously, get it, soooooo awesome

edit: btw, the end is a great place to look for avant garde metal. its their thing and they sign a lot of that stuff to their label
~gR~

All I have by them. My understanding is everything else is very different. What's their best?

All you have is LMI?

Ok.

Aspera Hiems Symphonia is top quality symphonic Black Metal.
The Sham Mirrors is hard to classify, of course, but it's more straightforward and well in the realms of "space metal."
Sideshow Symphonies is like a watered-down version of the previous, but still with plenty of great songs, riffs, and Vortex's greatest vocal moments.

edit: song from each

Last edited by a moderator:
in addition to all the bands already mentioned here, i'd recommend the following ones:

Sólstafir
Caina
Nachtmystium
Ossein
The Firstborn
Njiqahdda
Gorath
<code>
Solefald

Check out Akroma.

They only have one album, called Sept. It's a concept album about the seven deadly sins. Each sin has a track, and each track is seven minutes long. They're very different for a black metal band, combining symphonic and progressive elements in their own unique way.

While some of these may not be strictly Avant-Garde Black Metal bands, or even experimental for that matter, they will certainly appeal to you if you are seeking some out-of-the-ordinary black metal that expands past the normal Black Metal formula.

Leviathan
Blut Aus Nord
Furze
Belketre
Gnaw Their Tongues
Emit
Vrolok
Katharsis
Deathspell Omega
Silencer
Vlad Tepes
Ash Pool
Sigh
Mütiilation
Dead Raven Choir
Negative Plane
Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra
Avsolutized
Manierisme(Sounds like a nostalgic Xasthur!)

A lot of those bands seem fairly ordinary, Alter. I'm pretty sure that's who it is, anyway.

Yes, it is I. Don't forget that I stated not all of these bands are totally avant-garde but some are just rather strange, but to say a band/artist like Gnaw Their Tongues, Emit, Vrolok or even Silencer is normal is wrong considering that they all have oddities that set them apart from normal black metal bands.

Umm, nostalgic in the sense of longing, I would assume in accordance with the common definition. Listen to the song "The Secret Garden." I find it to be a proper adjective when describing the song in my mind.