Axes drumming on the tapes was...

• Not good enough

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Very nice!

Votes: 77 58.3%
  • More than expected!!!

Votes: 45 34.1%

• Total voters
There aren't any, people just won't stop complaining since he's not Lopez.

I think there is one, albeit slight, mistake. But I don't really care, since it is a live performance after all. And I know Lopez made fuck-ups as well.

For christ sake, is it so fuckin' hard to say what was wrong with Face of Melinda? God damnit. Lopez was great but he wasn't so tight about timing concerned. And thats a fact.

Gah, I knew I shouldn't have read this topic, it'll draw more attention to his drumming when I listen to the Tapes..

Still, Lopez has his style, Axe has his. Axe did a great job and I hope he continues to add his own style to Opeth songs he didn't contribute to in the studio.

Drumwise I think windowpane was far too noisy. Sometimes (very seldom) it feels Axe plays too much like a machine. Very hard to explain, but it sounds like he tries too hard to play the parts right. Lopez just played them right... I think this can be noticed for example on the first silent part in the night and the silent water.
Nevertheless Axe was great! Especially Ghost of Perdition, Blackwater Park and The heavy parts in TNATSW were awesome.

I've never understood this sort of explanation when I've heard it before. That is to say, I've heard reviews of new band members trying to replace old band members and when people say, "it sounds like they're trying too hard to play it the same way" I'm 99.9% certain that that's just a fan not being able to say, "They played it just as well as the old band member" because they'll feel like they've committed some sort of epic betrayal. Seriously, if they played it the same way then they played it the same way. At that point any difference you're hearing exists in your head and you're projecting. I bet if the credits didn't say Martin Axenrot people wouldn't even notice that it's not Lopez. Admit it. He did a great job.

I've never understood this sort of explanation when I've heard it before. That is to say, I've heard reviews of new band members trying to replace old band members and when people say, "it sounds like they're trying too hard to play it the same way" I'm 99.9% certain that that's just a fan not being able to say, "They played it just as well as the old band member" because they'll feel like they've committed some sort of epic betrayal. Seriously, if they played it the same way then they played it the same way. At that point any difference you're hearing exists in your head and you're projecting. I bet if the credits didn't say Martin Axenrot people wouldn't even notice that it's not Lopez. Admit it. He did a great job.

So for you a new player is just a new looking guy doing definetly the same things as the one before? The musicians differ only by looks and by the instrument they are playing from other musicians?
I think it's just as hypocritical to tell someone "he feels like being betrayed" cause he claims you there's a slight difference in one's playing, than to feel betrayed. I feel it's far more stupid to claim that there is a fuck up in FOM without being able to tell where it is. And I don't say you said that, but many have said...
I really don't feel even slightly betrayed cause axe is great, I even said in my last post that overall he's playing was awesome. Gotta say though that it was a big dissapointment to see (on Bleak video) that they propably don't show much he's drumming on the DVD.

Small things like certain fills in are way better with Lopez. Like the fill in on Windowpane:
Tapes 3:58
On Damnation 3:44

Lopez just do it better. I've compared to live recordings also.

I would have voted "good" if i could in the poll. Still i think Axe is a great drummer.

This is so true, but it can't be proven.

I'm pretty sure i could tell the difference..

I think that Axe, compared to Lopez, is a better drummer. Tight as fuck, great fills, overall an amazing drummer! BUT.. Making music is also about feeling, and thát is where Lopez outshines Axe in every way. Especially in the more laidback parts, Axe just misses a teensy bit of groove. When listening to Windowpane i really missed Lopez, his latin-influenced drumming and immense groove lifts the song to another level.. Axe's approach is more a straight-forward one. Then again, Axe's playing parts that Lopez wrote, so no wonder Lopez plays them better!

Axe is a great replacement, amazing drummer and the drumming on the Roundhouse Tapes is close to flawless! Can't wait for the new album to hear what this man really can do, i'm sure it will be outstanding!

Axe's drumming is a lot tighter than Lopez' was. The only difference is that imo Axe lacks groove on parts, because he's a straight death metal drummer pretty much, who now has to adapt and play Lopez' grooves and Latin-influenced parts. Thats the only thing wrong with Axe imo, and even that can be partially excused because it's not his drum parts. But for tightness? Axe surpasses Lopez easily - Mike said it himself ~2 years ago that Lopez wasn't consistent tempo-wise live, especially on the double bass parts. Axe, from what I've listened to of various live recordings, is very very tight, even when they were slowing things down substantially at the beginning of the GR tours.

Voted very nice - I didn't expect anything less from Axe, with the shows I've seen and heard.

I still think Axe does a damn good job.
Lopez was unsteady live doods,
he did a nice performance on the Lamentations
DVD though, but that was after a some serious rest.

I'll be interested to see how people react to the drums on the new album. Hearing Axe play drum parts that Lopez never played before. It's easy to pick things out when youre basically saying one drummer has a different style than another. Whatever the next album brings, it will at least let Axe be judged fairly on his own material.

where is Europe than according to you?:lol: down in the southern hemisphere? :p oh you americans crack me up sometimes ... :lol:

You'd be mildly surprised to learn that im not American. Last I checked, Canada was not a part of the USA. Basically, Im just saying that the music stores here suck fucking ass.

I concure with your statement BurningSky. I concur :)

There aren't any, people just won't stop complaining since he's not Lopez.

You going to tell me that there is no fuckup at about 3:55..... ? If that is intentional, then it wasn't that great, lol. Sounds to me like he wasn't sure where he was at that point of the tune....