Ayreon

Someyes, some no. If you want prog, go for universal migrator part 1 or into the electric castle. If you like metal, go for universal migrator part 2 (featuring 1 song with russ and romeo). For a good mix and a solid album, check human equation. Can't comment on earlier or other works.

I love Arjen's stuff - The Human Equation is one of my all-time fave albums. Definately depends on your taste, but there are plenty of samples on his website (last time I checked), and the albums are all pretty different. Plus the side projects, like Star One and Stream of Passion.

I lüve Ayreon. However, I find The Human Equation to be the least original, and thus, the least good of his albums. Too many guest musicians that are "famous" rather than acutally being good. I'm thinking of James LaBrie-Cheese, mostly. Also it wasn't nerdy enough. Hopefully Damien Wilson and, like, good singers, will sing on the next album.

I'm not that high on the cast of his upcoming album until now. Ten out of eighteen (!!) singers have been revealed, and like half of them are Goth/Metal chicks. I'm getting a heavily outer space-ish vibe from the samples (which still lack most instruments as of now), though, which is exactly what I want to hear from Arjen after the rather folky and classical-tinged "Human Equation".

I guess Ayreon isn't for everyone, but I've really liked most of the stuff I've heard so far. The Human Equation for instance is a great album. Actually just today listened it through.

Well ayreon is so polarized and none of the stuff even sounds remotely similar most of the time, so you can love one album and hate the next VERY easily. I would suggest checking out a few different ones before loving/hating them.

Universal Migrator Disc 2 is my fave for sure. Its got vocals by Russel Allen and Bruce Dickenson on my two favorite songs on the album. and the rest is worthy too IMO.

Haven't really listened to the others enough to give an opinion.

Phanto said:
I lüve Ayreon. However, I find The Human Equation to be the least original, and thus, the least good of his albums. Too many guest musicians that are "famous" rather than acutally being good. I'm thinking of James LaBrie-Cheese, mostly. Also it wasn't nerdy enough. Hopefully Damien Wilson and, like, good singers, will sing on the next album.

well they're even more famous this next time around.. I always find Arjen has a way of pulling the best out of his singers (didn't think that would be possible with LaBrie on an album.. and thankgod although he was supposed to be the 'main star', he wasn't overly prominant on it) Main downfall I think on the new line-up is the presence of Simone (watch you boys all go stupid over that), I know she is supposed to be the metal-"it"-girl atm, but my god she is horrible :lol:

Well Ill tell you right now from everything everyones wrote it sounds like this stuff is for me. Even the negitive descriptions.... cause I like James LaBrie, so there ! :p Actually The Human Equation is the one Ive heard a little of and I do like it.

ITS SO MUCH BETTER THAN AVANTASIA !

Anvantasia sounded like a great idea and great cast. Till all the singers started singing "three part harmony" and the power metal formula kicked in. If I was into choir I would have stayed in after 7th grade, but guess what.... I discovered hardrock which I now call "premetal" and forgot all about that choir thing, music has moved beyond. I though, nary the two shall mix, but alas, we have "power metal" which aint all bad but if I had a weak stomach Id do one of these :puke: everytime they break into a chorus! Its like watching some old musical when your sitting there and suddenly you can "feel a song coming on". You listen to a power metal song and you just know its comming, wait... wait... get ready.... here it comes... ready... set... everybody now... a one. two.. three... four....

We are the Gods
of power mettallllll
we come to fight
with sword in hand

we sing in hords
we sling our swords
we sing our words
till your all bored

:zombie:

So yea! So far Ayreon is sounding good to me and I'll take James LaBrie any day over the above cast of characters, regardless of how great their voices are.

Universal Migrator Disc 2 is my fave for sure. Its got vocals by Russel Allen and Bruce Dickenson on my two favorite songs on the album. and the rest is worthy too IMO.

It's all a matter of taste, but UM2 contains a couple of Arjen's more forgettable ("Journey On The Waves Of Time", "Sleeper Awake") or downright bad songs ("Through The Wormhole" :puke:).
"Dawn Of A Million Souls" and "Into The Black Hole" KILL, of course, and Arjen did in fact manage to make Kotipelto sound like a half-decent singer, something he is frighteningly good at, as Silent Realm pointed out.

I don't really post here anymore--but I have to say it: Arjen Lucassen is my favorite artist of all time. I have not run into a single album of his that I haven't liked, be it Ayreon, Star One, Stream of Passion (when he was a member--I do not intend to follow the band after its lineup changes), or even Ambeon. I would recommend for a Symphony X fan starting out with Star One rather than with Ayreon--since you'll have Russell Allen's vocals, it'll give you something familiar to catch hold of. Remember, though, that Star One (and Universal Migrator II) are his heaviest works, so it will get less heavy from there.

I can only think of a few things I would say could've been done better. One was "Temple of the Cat" on Universal Migrator (the one case of his not making a vocalist work out), and the other items were on his very first Ayreon album--though I'm more lenient on people's first efforts than on their subsequent works, so that doesn't bother me. In general, he is an extremely capable, creative artist whom I highly recommend.