'Backing vocals' appreciation thread

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
"Thursday dec. 9th 2010:
I thought it might be a nice idea to revive this thread after the release of 'TGE' ; it's cool to share your thoughts on the backing vocals on 'TGE' (and 'MF' as well if you like). A whole lot of new fans have joined the SW-forum so it's (again) time to let Tommy know how much his backing-vocal-work is appreciated!!"

Hi all,

The other day, when listening to ‘Mercy Falls’ (again), I noticed how much time the guys must have spent in the vocal department. Of course, we know that the ‘regular-Tommy-melodies/parts’ are killing BUT they also must have spent a lot of time creating all the backing vocals as well.
A lot of things happen in the background, absolutely stunning stuff :worship: !!

If you don’t mind, I’d like to share some awesome moments with you.
I like it how in the pre-chorus and chorus of ‘Welcome....’ some parts are sung a bit before or after Tommy’s lines. Also the ‘Oehoe-Aahaa’ part at 4:51 is a nice detail!
The backing vocals in the pre-chorus and chorus of ‘A day away’ are just absolutely awesome. Too much is happening there to explain here.......just listen to the song and stay focussed on the backing vocals.
In ‘Paradise’ the ‘....i won’t care anyway’-part is another nice ‘detail’ winner.
Pay attention to the intro of ‘Break the silence’- it has some nice subtle ‘Oehs’ in it. After that, the multi-layered parts in the pre-chorus and chorus totally blow me away (‘ying and yan – yeah’). Also listen to the end of the second chorus – Tommy sings high and the ‘backing’ is low!!
* Off topic: I’m still amazed by this song after all this time, it is abslutely stunning! This may be the best song ever. The part from 1:25 – 2:15 and the part after the first chorus are one of the best (prog)metal parts ever created. The pre-chorus and chorus may be one of the best thing that is ever written.....DAMN! *
‘Hide and seek’ has another awesome moment regarding the backing vocals. The ‘Oewoh-oh’ part in the closing minute of the song (after/during the ‘I wonder' part) is just top-notch.
I‘ll end with ‘The black parade’. The chorus has some beautiful backing vocals. Especially listen to the part after 5:15 – breathtaking stuff!.

So, all in all, another phenomenal-worked out part of.......well, the best album EVER!

I do have a question: did Tommy do all the backing vocals or did you guys jump in as well?
Anyways, good luck on stage producing all the awesome backing parts...............:p

Yes, you are absolutely right. I enjoy the background on this album everytime when I listen to it. (Ok, every day :)) Not the voices alone, also the noises, the car crash, everything. :worship:

for my part "One last goodbye" 's last minute "duet" between tommy and the woman is absolutly perfect.(who is she?)
Love duets like that! Just wish it could be longer ^^
Also great work on all the other backing and vocals in general :) perfection:saint:

I think the "hope our guiding light" part before the chorus in "Welcome to Mercy Falls" is amazing. Has a very melodic and haunting sound to it. :kickass:

for my part "One last goodbye" 's last minute "duet" between tommy and the woman is absolutly perfect.(who is she?)
Love duets like that! Just wish it could be longer ^^
Also great work on all the other backing and vocals in general :) perfection:saint:

It sounds like Tommy's sister... Correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm gonna do it a bit different now (not going through the whole album this time).

One amazing moment for me is in the song 'TGE', in part VII, the part from "I couldn't stop them if I tried.....turn back time...(TIME)". Listen to that part and focus only on the backing vocals :worship:
Especially the part 'under' and after "...people fight.." is absolutely fantastic - there's a wonderful melody going on there.

Come on everyone, let Tommy know how much his backing-vocal-work is appreciated!!

So, what are your thoughts on the backing vocals and (if you have any) what are your favorite moments on 'TGE'?

the dark and growly "UUUHHH AAHHH" in king of whitewater is also very cool once you notice it.

SW have a tendency to sing backing vocals slightly before the main vocal sings them, as a kind of foreshadowing. I like this. Examples off the top of my head include the soft middle sections of Wiseman and Angelmaker.

The vocal harmonies are absolutely incredible throughout the new album. They just work so perfectly, never too much. They really add something to the music, almost like a separate instrument.

My favorites are definately the female vocals on Long Way Home from TGE and One Last Goodbye on Mercy Falls...that one gives me chills every time i hear it. The backing vocals on all SW's stuff just totally inspires me! As an artist i haven't had good inspiration for my work until i descovered seventh wonder and what drew me too them was the "chorus" style backing vocals. Just awesome!

The chorus to Paradise plain and simple is just awesome because of the background vocals.
I also like them in The Angelmaker "Order in the court"...section...the way they echo the actual verses up to and including Goodnight Ofelia.
Just awesome stuff! :)

The backing vocals are one of the reasons that sets SW apart from so many other artists. Is it just me, or do the backing vocals on every song blow you away every time you listen to it?

the dark and growly "UUUHHH AAHHH" in king of whitewater is also very cool once you notice it.

I think it follows the lyrics Fly!!! High!!! and so on.

I totally agree with you guys about the end of The Angelmaker:
"Order in the court (Order in the court, she has denied)
She has denied
And now the jury will decide (The jury will deceide, to what extent)
To what extent
This Angelmaker lied (This Angelmaker lied)"

The timing between lead and backing vocals is just out of this world! One of my fav moments on the album (in this subject).

And then follows the falsetto:
"GOOD NIGHT OFEL..." and all the other fantastic choirs in the last chorus, e.g. "Nightmares of of dreams" and "The shame!":D

A pity many cool vocals are so deep in the mix, it would be so cool to just hear the vocal master track! Something like what Dream Theater did with the 5 disc something edition of BC&SL, where there was this DVD with all the separate master tracks in full CD quality.

Sorry for my bad english..
well..i have a question.. why dont you keep that really GREAT backing vocals
in a live presentation?
i mean, the result in the albums its AWESOME..Is it difficult in a concert?
* my favorite backing vocals is in welcome to mercy falls