Badass Rap

MF DOOM's Operation: Doomsday
Wu-Tang Clan's Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Gang Starr's Hard To Earn
Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Lord Finesse & DJ Mike Smooth's Funky Technician
Jeru The Damaja's The Sun Rises In The East
Digable Planets' Blowout Comb
Jedi Mind Tricks' The Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological & Electro-Magnetic Manipulation of Human Consciousness
Redman's Dare Iz A Darkside
dälek's From Filthy Tongue Of Gods And Griots

I can always tell what I'm going through at the time I posted a list like this just by looking at what's included.

Since this, a few (or at least one) Andre Nickatina albums have slipped into my top 10 I think.

.. i have a couple of their albums. They have a few good songs, i prefer World Domination and CrazyNDLazDays

I'm not familiar with CrazyNDLazDays but World Domination is one I really like too.

I'm not familiar with CrazyNDLazDays but World Domination is one I really like too.

its a pretty popular side project they did in the late 90's. No way you haven't heard this ...

Not a fan a fan of most of those east coast rappers and nikotina(i prefer Brotha Lynch, X-Raided, Celly Cel and Spice One when it comes to Bay Area Rap

No need to link Brotha Lynch, because i can go on for pages, he is one of the best .. but here are some the other ones

Most of X-Raided stuff is tape recorded over the phone because he's doing life.

Reactions: CiG
These are the 2017 hip hop releases that have made the biggest impression on me:

6000197314399.jpg

Snoop Dogg's Neva Left is my choice for hip hop AOTY. He's been genuinely surprising me lately with how good his new laid-back vintage funky old school style sounds when by contrast most other artists who try that out end up sounding fake and try-hard. Snoop's voice is perfect for it and it comes across as so natural. Not quite as good as the 7 Days of Funk project he did with Dâm-Funk back in 2013 though but still an album I see myself throwing on years from now.

Thank funk he left that Snoop Lion crap behind.

a1157126491_10.jpg

dälek doing what dälek does best with Endangered Philosophies. Noisy and grating industrial hip hop bubbling with anarchy and political frustration. Not really sure where in their discography I'd place this one, but it still hasn't surpassed last year's Asphalt for Eden for me.

a3827410911_10.jpg

The Koreatown Oddity's Finna Be Past Tense has been a grower for me. At first I almost completely dismissed it, but slowly after a few listens in different moods and contexts it untangled itself and eventually it clicked with me. Again, like many of the albums I'm listing here, the artist's previous records were better and The Koreatown Oddity is no exception. 200 Tree Rings is superior to this, but still this album crushed a lot of other 2017 hip hop records regardless.

Wild.jpg

This one completely took me off-guard. The Wild by Raekwon is actually a fairly consistent and fresh boom bap record that isn't afraid of sounding modern. Kinda sad that the last solo Raekwon record that I really like was his fucking debut, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...

a2874978537_10.jpg

Mega Ran is one of the only "nerdcore" artists that ever did anything for me and I don't even really consider him a part of that whole thing, though there's certainly some overlap in style. The big difference is that Mega Ran (aka Random) doesn't rap like he's making fun of himself and the entire white race. Yes he's black but I've even heard black "nerdcore" rappers sound like nasally dorks. Anyways, Extra Credit was recorded after a long year of Mega Ran touring the world, handling multiple projects and exploding in popularity a bit and so lyrically it's quite introspective and humble with an overwhelming veil of positivity. Definitely one of his strongest records.

SAR001_9b296829-6232-4ca4-a719-6d2b84b43763.jpg

Gems from the Equinox is the product of two legends in their own right coming together to record a nice and uncharacteristically terse (for hip hop) album: Meyhem Lauren, a new but place-well-earned emcee and DJ Muggs from Cypress Hill who arguably was creating grimy dungeon beats well before The RZA. Good stuff, under 30 minutes long.

8d9aa17781dc2deaa82e84bf37bc7a64.jpg

Sean Price's Imperius Rex was released 2 years after his death and so this album holds a special spot in hip hop history, as most posthumously released albums do. Sean Price was always a heavy hitting lyricist and though this one isn't as good as Mic Tyson or Monkey Barz it's still a strong statement made by an emcee who stood like mountain in an industry of ever-changing and ever-dropping quality.

Last edited:
Snoop is my all time favorite rapper, but i gave up after Malice n Wonderland. As if Tha Blue Carpet Treatment wasn't bad enough.

Doggystyle is my all time favorite rap album and i love most of his stuff all the way through Paid tha Cost. R&G had a few good songs on it too.

@CASSETTEISGOD hey man do you have Snoops Dead Man Walking? Bad ass album(archived stuff) that Suge released without Snoops authorization, lol. Some of his hardest tracks are on there.

this is one of my favorite Snoop tracks, the original version was called Buss'n Rocks ... and its not the weird sounding one that he released on No Limit Top Dogg

... ignore the wrong album cover that guy has posted for those songs.

51JMELgyobL.jpg

Damn! No I don't have this album but these songs fucking rule!

Cheers for the heads up, definitely going to put this on my Discogs wishlist.

Damn! No I don't have this album but these songs fucking rule!

Cheers for the heads up, definitely going to put this on my Discogs wishlist.
:kickass: yeah those songs are fuckin' killer. Only a few people tell stories like Snoop can or did. And those are some of his best. That first song is VERY old too from what i remember. Was sort of a cult hit around here.

Really liking this "County Blues" song man, the sampling of a harmonica is genius. :lol:
haha yeah he nailed the whole "life in the county jail" story. At least how it is out here.