band logos!

126_logo.png

7469_logo.jpg

1101_logo.jpg

2189_logo.jpg

The Opeth logo is very generic I agree, but if you consider that they in many ways desperately want to be a 1970's progressive rock band, it makes some sense to have a more literary/uppity looking logo. It reeks of fartsniffing bookwormism, but for whatever reason I can appreciate it.

if you consider that they in many ways desperately want to be a 1970's progressive rock band, it makes some sense to have a more literary/uppity looking logo. It reeks of fartsniffing bookwormism, but for whatever reason I can appreciate it.

Still Life and Blackwater Park or any of their older stuff are wannabe 70's progressive rock? Did you just start listening to them a few years ago or what?

Still Life and Blackwater Park or any of their older stuff are wannabe 70's progressive rock? Did you just start listening to them a few years ago or what?

I think even in their early days they wanted to be, in spirit, a 1970's progressive rock band. The way they mixed genres was so unorthodox back then. So they better honoured old progressive music by actually being very original. Now they've just dropped all intention of originality and instead dabble in cloneism.

That's how I look at it anyway, by all means disagree haha.

I think even in their early days they wanted to be, in spirit, a 1970's progressive rock band. The way they mixed genres was so unorthodox back then. So they better honoured old progressive music by actually being very original. Now they've just dropped all intention of originality and instead dabble in cloneism.
You know, that's actually a pretty good assessment of the band's (d)evolution.

Reactions: CiG
I actually own Pale Communion and Heritage, and i also probably own more Jethro Tull album on vinyl than you guys can name. But when someone refers to the heart of Opeths discogorphy, rarely are they talking about the newer prog-rock shit.

Their last two album barely have over 2k ratings on RYM ... the lowest by far, especially when compared to SL and BP, which have 10k and almost 7k ratings each.