Band names sound funny?

Belial

Rainbow Demon
Nov 18, 2001
Shoikan Grove
jason.storiesfrom.us
Are there any band names that sound funny to you?

Opeth sounds damn funny to me. It has sort of a cereal sound. "Nothing like a big bowl of Opeth." At the same time it also sounds like a drug name. "Hey man, wanna go in the back and shoot some Opeth?"

Borknagar makes me laugh out loud when I say it.

Useless post rating: 7.5

I always thought Opeth sounded like somebody saying 'Opus" with a lisp..

Opestth
Opethh

What I think are funny are the stage names that metal people give themselves.

Morgan

I don't even know how to pronounce the names to half of the bands i listen to. :bah:

But of the ones that I DO know how to pronounce, DIMMU BORGIR is just about the funniest name i've heard in a long time (is Dimmu Borgir the name of a tar-pit or volcano or something...??)

I always feel strange when i say 'OPETH', because everyone around me thinks that i've got a really bad lith-p. LITH-P. I TH-AID LITH-P!!

Lisp.

What about QUO VADIS, MESHUGGAH...?? They all sound funny because they are in other languages.

THE funniest/worst name ever for a band... hmmm... A few come to mind.

Cradle of Filth,
Slayer,
Metallica,
Megadeth.

ha ha, fuck it, they're ALL bad names.

There is only a handful of bands with good names. Nevermore, Dream Theatre... That's about it actually :lol:

Originally posted by Qsilver
I think Dimmu Borgir means 'Black Castle' or something like that. I think they said that in some interview.

"Pronounced "dim-moo bore-gear", the Dimmuborgir is a large area of unusually shaped lava East of Lake Mývatn, in Iceland. The Dimmuborgir area is composed of various cave and rock formations. It would seem that this has been formed from a lava-lake, out of which molten lava flowed and left behind strange formations. The most famous cave being Kirkjan - the Church - high with a large gothic style vault.
Dimmu = Foggy/Dark, Borgir = Castle/Fortress"

- Taken from the official site. :)

Originally posted by Trapped

There is only a handful of bands with good names. Nevermore, Dream Theatre... That's about it actually :lol:

hehe, you know Mike Portnoy would flip out if he saw you spellingthe band name like that... dunno what it is, but he freaks out when it is spelled "Theatre" hehe it is THEATER!

yeah though the funniest band name i ever heard was probably Siebenburgen... i dunno what that is, but it sounds delicious! heh

who's heard of The Toilet Boys? :lol: i saw their album in HMV the other day, also i saw the BLACKWATER PARK VINYL!!!! its in Oxford Circus just above where the Opeth albums are sold, there was only one left so if you live in London and want it...cant remember the price though.

I hate the way the name Lacuna Coil sounds. I feel like a dork every time I say it.

Crap, I'd never thought of Opeth as sounding "lispy," but now I can't get it out of my mind! :(

The Blackseed Boys (Think "The Backstreet Boys", which I'm sure was their intention, since they sing parodies of pop songs)

I hate the name Soulfly (makes me think of "so fly") ("Hey Mickey you so fine, you so [fly] you blow my mind, Hey Mickey!!!!") :lol:

Linkin Park (the variations are even funnier: Stinkin Pork, Lickin' Spork, Dickin' Lark, Stinkin Fart :p )

YoYoMa (Classical Celloist)- Love the guy, get the damn giggles when I mention his name :lol:

Others: Anal Cunt, Papa Roach, Pissing Razors, Einherjer (Love the band, but the name ?? I'm sure it means something though)

Useless post of the thread:

I get weird looks too whenever I mention the name Opeth, epsecially in music-stores.. :( They never understand the last -th part... :( Damned idiots!

There's a BWP vinyl where I live too. They actually bring only BWP here :( If I had the money I would probably get the vinyl too... :/

I think 'Ulver' is really funny. It sounds like some kind of body organ or something "and next to the uterus lies the ulver..." :lol:

'Borknagar' is really funny too, i laughed my head off the first time I heard it! And their music can be funny too, I think 'the presence is ominous' sounds really funny the way he sings! :lol:

'Aborym' is funny, not sure why though, it just sounds kinda funny.

Originally posted by _Transparent_
who's heard of The Toilet Boys?

I saw an article about them in a magazine once. That guy in drag is funny.

as for funny names. Korn is funny, so is Borknagar and Hoobastank.