The "Opeth" sound.

UFYM

New Metal Member
Jun 30, 2007
Hey all,

In expectation of the new album i've been trying to find something to listen to, that sounds a bit like Opeth. And by that i mean the guitars. As don't know much about guitars i'm not sure how to call it.

I mean the very thick sound, like it's a barier of sound. Whereas trash for instance, say Megadeth, they have a very clean recording, as does powermetal.

I hope that makes some kind of sense :) So what i'm looking for is a band with a guitar sound similair to Opeth.

Thanks in advance,
- UFYM

Hey all,

In expectation of the new album i've been trying to find something to listen to, that sounds a bit like Opeth. And by that i mean the guitars. As don't know much about guitars i'm not sure how to call it.

I mean the very thick sound, like it's a barier of sound. Whereas trash for instance, say Megadeth, they have a very clean recording, as does powermetal.

I hope that makes some kind of sense :) So what i'm looking for is a band with a guitar sound similair to Opeth.

Thanks in advance,
- UFYM

I knew someon would notice.....yeah I jsut love thier tone...specially the distorted sound...its jsut as good as it gets....honestly Ive been tryina foudn some badn with a nice sound liek that too...adn the closest Ive come is Alice in chains' "Facelift" record....!!!!....best of lukck....as soon I remmber more Ill post'em....PEAC EOUT

Hey buddy,

I'd obviously start with porcupine tree. Though not related to the deathmetal growls, and not half as heavy, does have some of that atmospheric sound. (Steven wilson which produced Blackwater park, damnation and deliverance is the producer of all their albums, and singer try deadwing/fear of a blank planet, great albums).

Though, you probably know them already, so this is really pretty pointless :ill:

Of course the old Katatonia CD's.
Porcupine Tree
Moonspell
Riverside (Sig)
Disillusion
Not the same kind of Music, but listen to Enslaved
Antimatter
AGALLOCH (beautiful music)

Hey buddy,

I'd obviously start with porcupine tree. Though not related to the deathmetal growls, and not half as heavy, does have some of that atmospheric sound. (Steven wilson which produced Blackwater park, damnation and deliverance is the producer of all their albums, and singer try deadwing/fear of a blank planet, great albums).

Though, you probably know them already, so this is really pretty pointless :ill:

SW did not produce damnation/deliverance

I guess you're mainly talking about the Orchid/Morningrise era (the guitars' sound is thicker there imo), so some prog death and technical death would probably have the thick sound. So, I'll recommend Atheist.

Deep Purple? Makes sense seems Mikael Åkerfeldt is influenced greatly by classic rock/metal music. Ritchie Blackmore's guitar playing influences Mikael greatly. So check out some of their classic stuff other than Smoke on the Water. ;)

Dark Suns, though only on their first album 'Swanlike'. Farmakon can sound very like Opeth, the singers growls are almost identical to Mikes. Also, When Day Descends is a very good instrumental Progressive Metal band with lots of of uses of the acoustic, they sound quite dark. Early (everything upto and including Wildhoney,) Tiamat.

SW did not produce damnation/deliverance

Quit trolling. Since I'm sure you own copies of each :erk: ... look at the booklets.

Damnation:
Produced by Steven Wilson with Opeth
Engineered by Opeth and Steven Wilson
Mixed and mastered by Steven Wilson
Music and lyrics by M. Åkerfeldt
(Steven wrote the lyrics to DWAL, and is credited w/ Grand Piano, Mellotron, Fender Rhodes, backing vocals)

Deliverance:
Engineered by Opeth, Fredrik Nordstrom, Fredrik Reymerdahl & Steven Wilson
Produced by Opeth and Steven Wilson
Mixed by Andy Sneap
Music and Lyrics by M. Åkerfeldt
(Steven is credited w/ Backing Vocals, Guitars, Mellotrons on this record as well)

Dark Suns, though only on their first album 'Swanlike'. Farmakon can sound very like Opeth, the singers growls are almost identical to Mikes. Also, When Day Descends is a very good instrumental Progressive Metal band with lots of of uses of the acoustic, they sound quite dark. Early (everything upto and including Wildhoney,) Tiamat.

Yeah, When Day Descends is great, I actually just mentioned them in the "Bands That Sound Like Old Opeth" thread. Its good to see theres other people out there who enjoy their music. They dont have much out yey, but their new Cd is going to be great when its finished.

Insomnium.

Hugely underrated band... Some aspects of their music are similar to Opeth but they're kinda more black metal. Check out "Since the day it all Came Down" and "Above the Weeping World". ATWW is probably my fave album atm.