Band of the Day: Katatonia!

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
What's your favorite album? Why?

Mine is Brave Murder Day... absolutely brilliant at catching the mood of complete emotional isolation... Mikael's harsh vocals are perfect in capturing the hopelessness of the whole thing. It's a masterpiece.

Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

Whew,must've changed that to Tonight's Decision about a dozen times.
Last Fair Deal... is one of the most solid albums that I've heard,no bad song on the album. As usual,Renkse's lyrics are awesome,Disposession,Clean Today,The Future Of Speech and Sweet Nurse perhaps being the biggest stand outs.
Nyström still writes very good melodic riffs on this one...something that I really missed on Viva Emptiness.
The drummer is a lot more varied than Swanö,though I liked his playing on Tonight's Decision too.
Oh and Sulfur is the best b-side I can come up with. Very good lyrics and exactly the kinda chorus riff I was talking about.

I'll second the vote for LFDGD. That's one of those albums that just gives me chills. Favorite song is "Tonight's Music".

Actually, I've never heard Brave Murder Day. I have Discouraged Ones thru Viva Emptiness. I'd rank those as follows:

LFDGD, Viva Emptiness, Discouraged Ones, and Tonight's Decision.