Bands, Albums or Songs that got you into Death Metal And/or Black Metal.

Well, I'm 30, and started to get more into death metal at 13/14. The first stepping stone was Slayer, then Sepultura (who were still good at the time), and then onto Napalm Death, Entombed, Pestilience, Dismember, etc. leading to many more obscure bands. Some of the first death metal albums I truly enjoyed were Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients, Entonbed - Clandestine, Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream, Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus. Mind you, this was many many years ago, in the early 90s.

One of the first Death metal songs I remember hearing was Death - Spiritual Healing, on the metal show on the local community radio station, before it was officially released I think. I was well into thrash metal at the time and was instantly blown away. I thought it was the heaviest and most evil sounding thing that could or would ever be produced by instruments.

It's hard to remember the lineage of albums that led me to genuine Death Metal because there were a lot of bands and albums that really weren't Death Metal in there, such as Opeth, Children Of Bodom, and some Melodeath stuff. I know that the first Death Metal album that I bought was At The Gates/Grotesque, but I didn't like it when I first got it, and only learned to appreciate it later on. The first real Death Metal album I got was probably Entombed - Left Hand Path. As far Black Metal, it was Burzum - Burzum/Aske and Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse.

I really don't dig either genre at all. About the only death metal that I can tolerate now is that 90s progressive death stuff like Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence, etc. Though, Death got me into death metal back when I liked it more, and I'll still listen to them once in a while. Oh, and I absolutely despise black metal. Flame me if you wish, but that's my opinion.

For me, it was the song Children Of Bodom-Bed Of Razors, which got me into death metal (I know most of you consider them power metal with harsh vox and I agree) since it was my first experience with harsh vocals. I totally forgot my first black metal song/album/band though.

I know this is going to sound stupid but lamb of god got me into death metal, I heard one of their older songs and at the time I didn't know anything that heavy existed, I was one of the kids who thought metallica was the heaviest band ever. I asked my friend if he'd ever heard lamb of god, and he said yes and introduced me to a bunch of death metal bands, the first death metal song I heard was Cannibal Corpse-The pick-ax murders. And since then I've been hooked. Oh, and thats also one of the reasons Cannibal corpse is one of my favorite bands.

Thrash - Anthrax - Spreading the Disease

Death - Entombed - left Hand Path

Black - ?

Doom - Cathedral - Forest of Equilbrium

Other than their very early stuff, I dont think of it as black metal -same with Immortal.

I suppose maybe Mayhem, DMDS ?

Immortal.jpg

Kvlt brigade here! Who mentioned liking unapproved BM?